DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

gotrice487 12-25-08 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jamieson22 (Post 9144243)
Didn't see any mention of it in the store but I bought Simpson's Game and Star Wars Force Unleashed as gifts at CostCo (Chicago) today and at the register it took $5 off Simpsons and $10 off Star Wars.

Ended up paying $10.99 for Simpsons and $21.99 for Star Wars. Not even sure how good of prices those are but seemed good enough to me!

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can grab a copy of The Simpsons

ElementZ 12-25-08 01:28 PM

Woot, just got a DS Lite for xmas with Zelda :)

ElementZ 12-27-08 11:33 PM

Holy Carp, my first DS experience is a great one so far. Playing Zelda, Phantom Hourglass and this is seriously one of the funnest games I have ever played. I am going to pick up New Super Mario Bros tomorrow.

Superboy 12-30-08 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ElementZ (Post 9158624)
Holy Carp, my first DS experience is a great one so far. Playing Zelda, Phantom Hourglass and this is seriously one of the funnest games I have ever played. I am going to pick up New Super Mario Bros tomorrow.

That was the most fun i've had with a Super Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 3. Seriously, Nintendo hit a serious home run. If you loved Zelda, then you'll absolutely fall in love with New SMB.

What I really love about PH was how I no longer needed to make retarded pen and paper maps of dungeons.

Superboy 12-30-08 08:00 AM

Anyone else having problems keeping up with their games? I just got a new DS Lite for Xmas and just filled in a back catalog with over 30 games. Seriously. They're all AAA+ titles too.

This year is looking bad, too. Dragon Quest V, Valkyrie Profile, Y's I&II (you gotta love how we get this as two games in one, and it's Y's on a portable system DONE RIGHT), Fire Emblem... and that's only the first three months of the year!

PixyJunket 12-30-08 08:16 AM

It's Ys, not Y's. ;)

And yeah, the DS is a fucking beast if you loved the games/genres of the SNES era.

Superboy 12-30-08 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9139383)
By the way, the game I hinted at (and was writing a nice long article about) before I took my forum break is getting a US release in three weeks. It's going to be called Retro Game Challenge over here and it's basically a collection of eight BRAND NEW 8-Bit NES games wrapped around a sweet meta-game of growing up in that era.

For instance, the game takes place in different years of the NES/Famicom's lifespan and each new game is representative of what was out at that time, starting with a simple arcade style Galaxian clone in 1983 to full blown Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden style games in 1988. You also have a subscription to gaming magazine and the magazines have previews of upcoming games, cheat codes for the games you already have and interviews with the games pretend creators and companies.

You progress in the game by completing a series of challenges for each game. For instance, it could be simply "Pass Stage 5" or "Make it to Stage 2 Without Getting Hit" or "Reach 100,000 Points" (sort of like achievement, hur). Once a set number of challenges are completed, you're warped to the next year with a new game (and you can access any previous games and play them whenever you want).

The top screen is the game screen, all of the game (as far as I could tell) adhere very strictly to the graphical and audio limitations of the NES/Famicom other than using the DS screen resolution. The bottom screen has your character and their friend (the child version of the host of the game show this game was based off of) actually playing the game. If you do cool things in the game, your friend will cheer or make comments or he'll make fun of you for sucking, etc.

Oh Jesus, i'm salivating already.

Superboy 12-30-08 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9163184)
It's Ys, not Y's. ;)

And yeah, the DS is a fucking beast if you loved the games/genres of the SNES era.

Shit, I knew it. It's too early.

It's not games of the SNES era I love. It's just original games, and games that haven't been released here. I thought I was going to hate the remake of FFIV But found it to be an extremely meaty game. It's hard to believe I played that game on GBA a few years ago.

Lurker Gal 12-30-08 11:07 AM

I'm scared. I promised I would stop using my credit cards for the new year but with such a solid DS line up I guess I'll be in hock again next year.

PixyJunket 12-30-08 02:50 PM

Ys games have some of the best video game music ever, EVER.

And Atlus is giving away a free soundtrack CD if you pre-order Ys I & II for the DS.

http://www.atlus.com/ys/pre-order.html

darkside 12-30-08 03:33 PM

I'd be in for Ys, but I just played through it on Virtual Console and that was plenty for me. I have a stack of DS games to play, but my must have for the beginning of the year is Fire Emblem. Everything gets put aside for that one.

daniel18 12-31-08 09:06 AM

On Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Spoiler:
OK, so I beat Albus, absorbed the last piece of Dominus, and are taken back to Ecclesia. I equip the pieces of Dominus like Barlowe says and cast the Union Glyph on the glowing thing. I die and the game over screen comes up. Gamefaqs wasn't helpful on this one.

UncleGramps 12-31-08 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by daniel18 (Post 9165415)
Spoiler:
OK, so I beat Albus, absorbed the last piece of Dominus, and are taken back to Ecclesia. I equip the pieces of Dominus like Barlowe says and cast the Union Glyph on the glowing thing. I die and the game over screen comes up. Gamefaqs wasn't helpful on this one.

Spoiler:
Have you rescued all of the villagers? I'm just going off of memory here, but you definitely need to save all of the villagers first. Then when you go to fight Albus, I think things play out differently and you start down the path towards the "good ending".

daniel18 12-31-08 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 9165761)
Spoiler:
Have you rescued all of the villagers? I'm just going off of memory here, but you definitely need to save all of the villagers first. Then when you go to fight Albus, I think things play out differently and you start down the path towards the "good ending".

Spoiler:
There's two villagers before the game over screen comes up. I'm assuming they're the boy's sister and mother, but I don't know where they would be. I'll try to find them and go back to Albus. Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me.

UncleGramps 12-31-08 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by daniel18 (Post 9165775)
Spoiler:
There's two villagers before the game over screen comes up. I'm assuming they're the boy's sister and mother, but I don't know where they would be. I'll try to find them and go back to Albus. Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me.

Spoiler:
If you get stumped trying to find them, there's definitely a FAQ on GameFAQs regarding the villager locations. I had to use it to find two of them myself. I think from that point on it's pretty easy to figure out what to do.

Nazgul 01-02-09 10:50 AM

I seem to be having an odd issue with my DS. After a few months of inactivity, I recently started playing again. I had to fully charge the battery as it was empty. Now it seems as if, after the first full charge, it's powering off during games.

Not every game, however. I can only replicate the issue with the three Castlevania games I have. All of my other DS games seem to work just fine. The random power off seems to occur within 2-5 minutes of starting one of the Castlevania games.

My first thought is to replace the battery and see if the long lay-off had anything to do with it. My DS is also about 2 and 1/2 years old, so the battery could be getting 'old'.

Anybody else seen an issue similar?

ElementZ 01-02-09 12:17 PM

Perhaps it has something to do with the Castlevania games? Wierd issue.

Nazgul 01-05-09 03:23 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

From what I can discern, it involves when the "B" button is pushed. Not consistently, butsome button combination triggers a system shutdown. So far I can only replicate it with the Castlevania games, as it's a buttom masher. :)

Now do I send it in for $75, get a replacement for $85 or go all the way and buy new?

My DS is 2 1/2 years old now, so the warranty has long expired.

Lord Zarak 01-05-09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul (Post 9176413)
From what I can discern, it involves when the "B" button is pushed. Not consistently, butsome button combination triggers a system shutdown. So far I can only replicate it with the Castlevania games, as it's a buttom masher. :)

Now do I send it in for $75, get a replacement for $85 or go all the way and buy new?

My DS is 2 1/2 years old now, so the warranty has long expired.

Just curious if you can replicate this problem while the DS is pluged into the charger.

And if I were you, I'd hold off as long as you can and put the money towards the new DSi.

pinata242 01-05-09 03:45 PM

DSi loses GBA compatibility though, doesn't it?

Jeremy517 01-05-09 03:49 PM

I had a broken hinge on my out-of-warranty DS. Nintendo wanted $81 to fix or $85 to replace it. Getting the replacement was a no-brainer for me. The one I ended up receiving appears to be brand new.

They let you pick what color you want. The only thing of note is that they didn't include the GBA slot cover or a stylus, so if you change color and don't have a spare matching stylus or GBA slot cover, you'll be stuck with mismatched colors.

Jeremy517 01-05-09 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9176501)
DSi loses GBA compatibility though, doesn't it?

Yep, and has a shorter battery life.

Nazgul 01-05-09 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak (Post 9176494)
Just curious if you can replicate this problem while the DS is pluged into the charger.

And if I were you, I'd hold off as long as you can and put the money towards the new DSi.

I was going to give that a try tonight.

As for the DSi, I thought it was going to be mid-to-late '09 before it hits the US? I'd rather not wait that long, plus $180 makes it less attractive.

darkside 01-05-09 08:20 PM

Notice that Best Buy is selling Bangai-O Spirits for $15.99 now. In store and online. Great game for that price.

slop101 01-05-09 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9177189)
Notice that Best Buy is selling Bangai-O Spirits for $15.99 now. In store and online. Great game for quadruple that price.

fixed!