DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

pinata242 01-06-09 12:05 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Wanna see me make Pixy magically reappear like I did with the DQX news? Observe:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Fans of casual, family-friendly games are about to see their circle of fun widen with a slate of new Hasbro-branded digital play experiences on a variety of platforms from Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ:ERTS) in 2009. Leading the charge is SCRABBLE, which rocketed to the No. 1 position on Pogo.com™ with more than 2.5 million players laying down virtual tiles since its June 2008 launch. The best-selling crossword puzzle board game is on deck to land on handheld platforms including the Nintendo DS™ and Sony PlayStation®Portable system (PSP®) in March 2009 in the US and Canada. EA is also gearing up to inject nostalgic fun into the Xbox LIVE® Arcade by bringing perennial board game favorites to the popular platform. Under a Hasbro Family Game Night banner, games such as SCRABBLE (US and Canada only), BOGGLE, BATTLESHIP, YAHTZEE, CONNECT FOUR, SORRY! and SORRY! Sliders will begin to roll out in Spring 2009. EA will showcase the highly anticipated lineup at the Consumer Electronics Show on January 8-11, 2009 in Las Vegas.

“We believe our Hasbro Family Game Night channel on Xbox LIVE Arcade will be one of the most dynamic and fun collections available on the platform,” said Chip Lange, General Manager of EA Hasbro. “We’ve been given the unique opportunity to create an exclusive EA Hasbro branded destination within the Xbox LIVE Arcade so players can easily find and play our lineup of family-friendly digital board games. Just as families have game closets in their home, they will also be able to stock a digital game closet serving up hours of interactive play for kids and adults alike.”

“The consumer response to Hasbro’s brands arriving on digital platforms in such fresh, inventive ways has been incredibly positive,” said Mark Blecher, General Manager of Digital Media and Gaming at Hasbro. “SCRABBLE alone has taken the US and Canadian markets by storm in a very short period of time and we expect the momentum to remain at full throttle through the Nintendo DS and PSP handheld releases and beyond. The level of creativity and meticulous execution that EA has poured into the re-imagination of the SCRABBLE and Hasbro Family Game Night experiences have set the bar very high for the many other games under development, but we’re confident that we’ve just scratched the surface of what digital fun feels, looks and plays like. It’s going to be a very exciting year for casual game fans.”

SCRABBLE on the Nintendo DS and PSP will offer something for every crossword puzzle fan with three modes of play including: Classic, which offers traditional play; Speed, where players race the clock; and, the new fast paced SCRABBLE SLAM card game, where players try to be the first to discard all their SLAM cards by making four letter words. SLAM will be available for the first time digitally on the handheld versions of SCRABBLE. With six difficulty levels, SCRABBLE will serve up a Training mode with six training exercises that enable new or rusty players to polish their skills before their first big showdown. SCRABBLE comes loaded with extras such as SCRABBLE Word Finder and Wi-Fi multiplayer capability (both single and multi-cart play). Debuting in March 2009, the Nintendo DS and PSP games are expected to be rated “E” for Everyone and carry an MSRP of $29.99.

The SCRABBLE Nintendo DS and PSP games will join the roster of previously released versions which have proven to hold great appeal, similar to its board game counterpart. In the past two years, EA launched three separate mobile versions of the game (in the US and Canada only) – including SCRABBLE for the iPod®, iPhone™ and feature phones. Online versions of SCRABBLE also launched on Pogo.com and social networking sites in June 2008. All have been widely adopted and received accolades across platforms.

* SCRABBLE was the No. 1 multiplayer game in its launch month, competing against more than 100 other offerings on Pogo.com. In July 2008, more than 5 million SCRABBLE games were played, equating to 4.3 million hours of play.
* SCRABBLE for the iPhone and iPod touch launched in July and quickly rose into the top 25 of all applications. Today, out of over 8,000 applications on the App Store, SCRABBLE remains in or near the top 50.

EA and Hasbro will stock Xbox LIVE Arcade with Hasbro Family Game Night, a crowd-pleasing assortment of games that are instantly recognizable household names such as SCRABBLE, CONNECT FOUR, BOGGLE, YAHTZEE, BATTLESHIP, SORRY!, and SORRY! Sliders. All games will feature both original and new ways to play, including a Party Mode that features multiple mini-game versions of each title. Additional customization features will allow players to earn virtual trophies, furniture and themes to decorate their personal virtual game rooms. The Hasbro Family Game Night lineup will take full advantage of Xbox LIVE community features such as online play, Achievements, the ability to launch new games without leaving the environment, and sharing customized space with friends. The EA Hasbro virtual game closet is slated to open in Spring 2009 with multiple games followed by additional releases throughout the year.
Mentions Wi-Fi, but not specifically "online" so...

PixyJunket 01-06-09 12:18 PM

<b>SCRABBLE DS!</b>

SO MUCH YES ALL OVER MY FACE.

Jeremy517 01-06-09 12:30 PM

Definitely in for Scrabble... when it drops in price. $30? Ugh.

darkside 01-06-09 05:28 PM

I just can't see Scrabble being that much better for $30 than the $8 iphone version.

GatorDeb 01-06-09 05:51 PM

$5 iPhone/iPod version :D

My DS might just become obsolete. Come out with a GOOD easy Crossword/wordfind for the Touch and I'm set.

Chris_D 01-06-09 06:33 PM

Yeah, I think my DS is fast becoming obsolete. Especially in the so-called casual space.

GatorDeb 01-06-09 06:45 PM

Picross with touching and pinching -eek-

UncleGramps 01-07-09 05:16 PM

touching and pinching - russian babes just turned 18!!!

Anyone else playing Lock's Quest? It's a great game that's under the radar for most people. One of the 1UP guys highly recommended it, so I picked it up with some Christmas cash. I'm really loving it.

It has elements from tower defense games, strategy games, and action games. The bulk of the gameplay revolves around building defenses (walls and weapon towers) and then fighting off waves of enemies. You can actually fight enemies one-on-one instead of just letting the towers do all the work. There are also a bunch of mission types that break things up by having you do more than just build and defend.

There are a few minor control issues (occasional difficulty placing walls, and minor problems targeting the right enemy), but for the most part the touch-screen controls are great and the presentation is excellent. This game is worth tracking down if you enjoy strategy games at all.

darkside 01-07-09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9179476)
Yeah, I think my DS is fast becoming obsolete. Especially in the so-called casual space.

I have to admit my DS has collected a lot of dust lately. Tecmo Bowl has really been the only recent game to take me away from play on the iPod Touch.

Chris_D 01-07-09 10:03 PM

I'm waiting for the next "Hotel Dusk", or next "Lunar Knights". Castlevania looked good but it seems a waste of money in my case because I never finished PoR. Otherwise Dragon Quest 9, but only if I see evidence that the story and characters are more evolved than what was in DQ8. Apart from that, I don't see much coming. The PSP has a better chance of me buying something if they localise any original, high quality JRPGs, because I don't see that kind of game coming to the appstore in the short term. Still haven't quite finished Crisis Core but thought that was great.

Having said that, I just tried Squares new game on the ipod and thought it sucked balls.

Goldberg74 01-09-09 08:14 AM

Hey guys... is Summon Night: Twin Age worth $10? (It's Amazon's VGDotD)

I'm looking for a new game for my 10 year-old son.

PixyJunket 01-09-09 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9185561)

Yes.

Oh, hmm. Does he like reading and RPGs?

Goldberg74 01-09-09 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9185570)
Oh, hmm. Does he like reading and RPGs?

He played and finished my copy of Magical Starsign and loved it.

He is also a book worm (10th grade reading level), so I don't think alot of reading will be a problem. ;)

PixyJunket 01-09-09 08:38 AM

I have eight cats in Chrono Trigger. :lol:

PixyJunket 01-09-09 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9185597)
I have eight cats in Chrono Trigger. :lol:

Nine.

http://i40.tinypic.com/13yla9z.gif http://i41.tinypic.com/2r3ky2p.gif http://i42.tinypic.com/2m4pz12.gif http://i40.tinypic.com/290ssk4.gif

steebo777 01-09-09 02:27 PM

Now that GS has a nice promo for some DS games, I'm gonna trade a couple older ones in and pick up TWEWY and Chrono Trigger as I want both bad. Glad there's a lot of coldness and snow outside as I will be glued to my DS for quite some time.

Goldberg74 01-09-09 03:30 PM

Gamestopo!

Originally Posted by steebo777 (Post 9186580)
Now that GS has a nice promo for some DS games, I'm gonna trade a couple older ones in...

What is this deal you speak of? Please share...

steebo777 01-09-09 04:07 PM

Re: Gamestopo!

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9186776)
What is this deal you speak of? Please share...

Extra $5 trade in value for any DS game valued at $2 or more. I think it's a limit of 3 each transaction. It's in their weekly flyer.

Couple that with the newsletter coupon that is always 10% off any used game and EDGE card to get a used DS game for pretty cheap.

Nazgul 01-09-09 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 9176512)
I had a broken hinge on my out-of-warranty DS. Nintendo wanted $81 to fix or $85 to replace it. Getting the replacement was a no-brainer for me. The one I ended up receiving appears to be brand new.

I'm leaning towards the replacement. I assume you've been quite satisfied?

Has anybody else purchased a refurbished DS from Nintendo?

Jeremy517 01-09-09 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul (Post 9186928)
I'm leaning towards the replacement. I assume you've been quite satisfied?

Yep 100%. Also of note is that even though they call it a "replacement", you don't have to send your old one in. Broken DS Lites go for up to $50ish on eBay.

darkside 01-09-09 04:44 PM

I have both of the GBA ones though I never finished the second one, but enjoyed what I played of them. I picked up a copy today before they sold out.

PixyJunket 01-09-09 05:56 PM

Summon Night Twin Age is a lot different from the Swordcraft Story games, but it's still great.

Also, I now have the maximum number of cats in Chrono Trigger, eleven. The purple cat is the last one.

GatorDeb 01-09-09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 9186938)
Yep 100%. Also of note is that even though they call it a "replacement", you don't have to send your old one in. Broken DS Lites go for up to $50ish on eBay.

So you're saying that for $85 you got a new DS and got to keep the old one? My Best Buy 3-year warranty is expiring in April, so now I feel better. Although when mine breaks (hopefully years from now) I'll just go to the DSi or DS2.

darkside 01-09-09 06:15 PM

The hinge on my sons broke badly and they wouldn't cover it under the warranty. I'm trying to decide whether to pay the $85 or just give him my old DS and get a DSi when it finally comes out here. It depends if the downloadable games on the DSi will be worth the cost of the unit.

slop101 01-09-09 06:32 PM

I could never get a DSi - I think I play my GBA games on my DS more than DS games.

daniel18 01-10-09 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9182595)
I'm waiting for the next "Hotel Dusk", or next "Lunar Knights". Castlevania looked good but it seems a waste of money in my case because I never finished PoR. Otherwise Dragon Quest 9, but only if I see evidence that the story and characters are more evolved than what was in DQ8. Apart from that, I don't see much coming. The PSP has a better chance of me buying something if they localise any original, high quality JRPGs, because I don't see that kind of game coming to the appstore in the short term. Still haven't quite finished Crisis Core but thought that was great.

Having said that, I just tried Squares new game on the ipod and thought it sucked balls.

Order of Ecclesia is much better than Portrait of Ruin.

Superboy 01-11-09 06:14 PM

I didn't think PoR was that bad... It just felt very strange at moments.

Superboy 01-11-09 06:23 PM

Wow, I regret staying out of the DS loop for so long. I just found out Kirby Canvas Curse is going for a ridiculous amount of money! I really should have bought a new DS right away...

PixyJunket 01-12-09 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 9190724)
Wow, I regret staying out of the DS loop for so long. I just found out Kirby Canvas Curse is going for a ridiculous amount of money! I really should have bought a new DS right away...

That sucks, Kirby Canvas Curse is one of the great games of the system.

darkside 01-12-09 08:42 AM

No idea why Nintendo lets games like this, Wario Ware Touch and Tetris DS go out of print. There is a demand for them. Release them as $20 greatest hits titles and rake in the cash.

LorenzoL 01-12-09 04:34 PM

Is Tetris DS really out of print? I have seen them in stock this weekend in places such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Future Shop here in Canada.

shumway 01-12-09 04:38 PM

Amazon only shows used copies for sale. Maybe there is a re-print in Canada or some were lost in a wherehouse somewhere and just found.

LorenzoL 01-12-09 04:43 PM

They are selling it for $39.99 so maybe that's the reason why they are still in stock here :lol:

Jeremy517 01-12-09 04:49 PM

Clubhouse Games was OOP and semi-rare for a while, and it was eventually reprinted. I think we'll see most of these first-party titles reprinted eventually.

Superboy 01-12-09 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 9193049)
They are selling it for $39.99 so maybe that's the reason why they are still in stock here :lol:

Canadian stores usually have "rare" games in stock because they never liquidate them.

Superboy 01-12-09 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9191794)
That sucks, Kirby Canvas Curse is one of the great games of the system.

Yeah, I got it this past weekend at Game Rush for $15 :)

Great game, i'm sorry I missed it the first time.

Superboy 01-12-09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9191843)
No idea why Nintendo lets games like this, Wario Ware Touch and Tetris DS go out of print. There is a demand for them. Release them as $20 greatest hits titles and rake in the cash.

Yeah, those are two of the great games for the system. I don't know why they let Tetris DS go out of print either. That game fucking rules.

Chris_D 01-12-09 09:58 PM

They could re-release them for $40 and still sell.

If you're dropping by Tokyo you can get used copies for $25-35 (still pretty high).

slop101 01-12-09 10:35 PM

Be careful when buying these OOP games on ebay - they actually make bootleg DS cartridges.

edstein 01-13-09 08:55 AM

My red and black DS is a little over a year old now and it is only reading DS cart games about 90% of the time. I have to constantly turn it off and on and it will eventually work. This happens on all of the games I have. What are my options for either getting it repaired or selling it?