DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

Groucho 07-15-08 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I wonder if GTA: Chinatown Wars will be censored in any way for Nintendo?

Is it still 1993?

fumanstan 07-15-08 12:11 PM

I could still imagine the DS version being more cartoony with toned down violence (like lack of blood or something).

cerial442 07-15-08 12:22 PM

I'm interested in GTA. I can't believe another Guitar Hero DS game is coming out this fast.

Chris_D 07-15-08 05:23 PM

It's hard for me to get excited about a 3D GTA game on the DS if it's along the lines of the PSP games. So I hope they work in some very stylised, maybe cell shaded graphics to make it work.

steebo777 07-16-08 09:38 AM

I am all about the GTA DS game! About time.

slop101 07-21-08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll find somewhere else to write about it if it's that much of a problem.

It would've been wasted here anyway.

So with this, Pixy just bailed from the forum entirely?
:(

fumanstan 07-21-08 05:41 PM

Didn't seem like anyone was really attacking him or anything either. Sounds like he was just grumpy and took his ball and went home.

Meanwhile, any decent deals for Final Fantasy IV? $40 is too much for me for a DS game.

darkside 07-21-08 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Didn't seem like anyone was really attacking him or anything either. Sounds like he was just grumpy and took his ball and went home.

Meanwhile, any decent deals for Final Fantasy IV? $40 is too much for me for a DS game.

None I could see. I may just wait a bit. I waited on FF Tactics A2 and was able to pick it up this weekend used at EB for $25 with the coupon in this weeks email.

$25 is about what I will pay for FFIV as well. I'm sure it will be on sale at Amazon at some point.

shumway 07-21-08 06:26 PM

A lot of people were making veiled and not-veiled posts making fun of him and criticizing him. I really appreciated his input and think the forum activity has slowed some without his input.

Liver&Onions 07-21-08 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
A lot of people were making veiled and not-veiled posts making fun of him and criticizing him. I really appreciated his input and think the forum activity has slowed some without his input.

But honestly, his holier than though attitude on NA games vs. Japanese games was a little pretentious. I think the Groucho post about the three games summed up Pixy's posting style quite well.

shumway 07-21-08 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
But honestly, his holier than though attitude on NA games vs. Japanese games was a little pretentious. I think the Groucho post about the three games summed up Pixy's posting style quite well.

I can see your point absolutely, but, of course you take the good with the bad and everyone has their own opinion, stinky or not.

Liver&Onions 07-21-08 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
I can see your point absolutely, but, of course you take the good with the bad and everyone has their own opinion, stinky or not.

But still - taking something as small as "Hey, why don't you just tell us instead of playing just the tip" and walking away from a forum seems pretty whack. Opinions are great - but we all know his viewpoints on the styles of gaming, so beating us over the head with it isn't going to change any minds. I know I sure didn't rush out to get my PhD based on other posters.

UncleGramps 07-21-08 07:43 PM

Speaking only for myself, I was just poking fun at Pixy and I didn't think it was too mean-spirited. Some of his posting habits were annoying, but I think he added something to the forum. Still, if he can't take some gentle ribbing, maybe the Internet is not the best place for him to spend his time. :lol:

Liver&Onions 07-21-08 08:51 PM

You got that right you old kook.

slop101 07-21-08 09:27 PM

I dunno, L&O, you seem to get pretty testy yourself when we question your moderating decisions... ;)

Liver&Onions 07-21-08 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I dunno, L&O, you seem to get pretty testy yourself when we question your moderating decisions... ;)

Or non-decisions as they normally are.

Liver&Onions 07-21-08 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by slop101

On second thought :grumble: . What the FUCK!? Me, testy? That's horseshit. Give me one motherfucking example of where I've been testy over a mod choice? Huh? That's right sucka! Nothing!

KenKeith 07-21-08 10:21 PM

$10 GC w/ purchase at circuitcity

Setzer 07-25-08 02:28 PM

Picked up FFIV yesterday and enjoying it so far. Loved the little CG intro! This game brings back lots of good memories from when I was in high school -- in 1991. God, I'm old. :lol: Even though FFVI is my favorite in the series, I probably spent 100x more time playing FFIV than any other RPG I've ever played. Back then the place to go for online game discussion was Prodigy's Video games BBS. Spent lots of time there and even had the wild idea to make a strategy guide for FFIV which obviously didn't happen.

Anyways, the game is good so far - loved how the graphics were updated but the lay-out of the game wasn't changed, meaning the map, buildings, shops, etc.. Even the hidden items are in similar locations. Only gripe I have is with the controls - I hate using the D-Pad to move around, wish it was an analog stick. Also, they put a Bestiary in the GBA enhanced version but not in this one??

GatorDeb 07-28-08 02:30 AM

Re: Pixy.

When he didn't post the name of the game I thought he had just forgotten so I asked for it. When I realized he hadn't forgotten, I wrote him off. I think it's ridiculous (note, I'm not saying someONE is ridiculous, I'm saying an action is) to go to a video game bulletin board and post "I'm playing the most awesome game ever but I'm not telling you what it is yet lero lero lero."

Baron Of Hell 07-28-08 09:27 AM

I'm playing a really cool game myself. It is much better than the previous games. As long as play this game my day will not be ruined. I try to put it down but I always have to go one more turn. McCain would do well playing this game with all his experience.

darkside 07-29-08 09:22 PM

I'm getting really fed up with Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I loved the previous GBA one, but so many of the missions in this one are beyond tedious. I fail almost every mission I dispatch and now I'm getting missions with these undead fuckers that revive with full health after two rounds. I run round and round the map but I just can't kill them all at the same time. I really hate these enemies that can heal themselves with the same spells they hurt you with. After about 20 hours of play I'm ready to put it aside and move on. If it is this annoying on mission 54 I can only imagine how much the other 300+ mission are going to irritate me.

The job system is good, but the judges are even more of a pain in the ass this time around and the auction stuff is a headache I don't need. There are just too many of these oddball missions with crippling rules or unfair enemies. Give me Fire Emblem or Jeane D'arc any day over this. I even had more fun with Luminous Arc despite its frame rate problems later in the game.

Baron Of Hell 07-29-08 09:49 PM

I don't have the game but maybe you can just hit them with cure spells and heal potions. The undead usually don't like that stuff in FF games.

Noonan 07-30-08 07:31 AM

Use a Phoenix Down, Raise, or the White Monk skill Exorcise on their tombstone to get rid of them for good.

fujishig 07-30-08 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I'm playing a really cool game myself. It is much better than the previous games. As long as play this game my day will not be ruined. I try to put it down but I always have to go one more turn. McCain would do well playing this game with all his experience.

It's like 20 questions! My guess:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=70817