Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread of Shredding, Pounding and Wailing Part 666

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! Bring in as much Avenged Sevenfold as possible. Critical Acclaim is an awesome song and A7X is a highly underrated band.
Old 06-13-08, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I buy songs because I like them. I don't care what the charts are. If I don't like the song, I won't like playing it.
That's the way I am too. But, like your picture says...

And Shagrath, let people bitch, don't let it bother you. You are obviously about the biggest fan of this gaming genre around here and are pretty passionate about it - be happy that others are at least passionate enough about it to care what kinds of music are included. If nobody cared, they wouldn't waste their time complaining one way or another. I think your contributions to these threads have at least in a small way gotten others more interested. Your passion for the games and your work in these threads are to be commended.
Old 06-13-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
And Shagrath, let people bitch, don't let it bother you. You are obviously about the biggest fan of this gaming genre around here and are pretty passionate about it - be happy that others are at least passionate enough about it to care what kinds of music are included. If nobody cared, they wouldn't waste their time complaining one way or another. I think your contributions to these threads have at least in a small way gotten others more interested. Your passion for the games and your work in these threads are to be commended.
I appreciate the kind words. I was having kind of a busy day and all of the negativity concentrated on the last couple pages kind of drove me over the edge for a minute. I'm a little more sane now, and will continue to make the threads and update the DLC stuff every week. I have some plans for the DLC post that I've been working on, and can hopefully introduce them into the next thread. If not at the beginning, soon after.

I work fairly close to the industry, and that may be a reason why I don't take some of the negativity at face value. I try to look for the best in any song or game and see if somewhere that entertainment can be had.

Sorry if I was a little whiny earlier. The "normal" Shagrath has returned.
Old 06-13-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'm pretty sick of arguing and defending Harmonix left and right. If someone wants to take over the official thread with the next iteration (surely coming next week), be my guest. All the bitching gets me riled up. I think I'll just get the DLC announcements on my cell phone every week and enjoy the songs with my friends and fellow club members.

Peace out.
I'm taking my ball and going home! Take a deep breath dude, it's just some fun/retarded debate on a forum with strangers. Speaking of debate, your first sentence speaks volumes about the discussion. Why does Harmonix need defending exactly? Do you work for them? A few of us are upset with the past few weeks of offerings and are merely voicing our displeasure. Big deal. Since when did this become the Harmonix appreciation thread? Like I said, I've sat on the sidelines for weeks with the mantra, "not for me, but someone will enjoy it," but decided to voice my displeasure this week. How is that wrong? And yes I was being sarcastic about the thread title.

*edit - just noticed you posted in the midst of my wordy response. Glad you have shrugged it all off. Cheers.

Exactly. It's all fun and games. Just a dandy little debate. I do find it a little hypocritical that one week a few people bitch a little louder than usual and Shagrath flies off the handle, yet for the past seven months some of us have had to listen to your broken record in multiple GH threads... despite you not even playing the game since December 17th of last year. What's that about?

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Now if we're talking about what does rock or songs you can rock out to, that's a different argument. And I still disagree that there hasn't been anything like that recently.
That is what I was trying to get across in my initial post but failed to do so. Sure there is punk-rock, alternative-rock, classic rock, etc... yes it is all rock, but a lot of the recent stuff, IMO, fails to rock. That and I just want bigger bands than what they've offered of late.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-13-08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sort of with Corvin on this, but I can see both sides. I want big classic rock bands personally, and I'm disappointed every week when it's not Boston, etc. But as long as good stuff keeps coming out even every few weeks, I'll be happy.
Old 06-13-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmmm...not sure why the "shit" comment is getting so much attention and being taken personally.

Shagrath, your work on the DLC posts is great and I certainly didn't intend to diminish it with my comment.

As a musician I am very picky about bands and tend to be a little flippant with my use of the word "shit" to describe music.

A7X is ok, but if people want stuff like that, why not get the real thing like Iron Maiden or Megadeth, etc. Most modern "metal" bands like A7X just sound like borderline-parody to me. Sure they have skills, but there doesn't seem to be much conviction behind it.

Bottom line is they do indeed need more "bigger" bands. It doesn't have to be metal. Hell I'd be excited to get stuff like the guitar-oriented Depeche Mode or other 80's catchy guitar tunes.

In any event, I'll refrain from posting any more shit comments. I'll chime in when I like something, so week after week of silence from me will signal a continued disapproval of the DLC.

Sorry for any derailing I caused.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 06-13-08 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Bottom line is they do indeed need more "bigger" bands. It doesn't have to be metal. Hell I'd be excited to get stuff like the guitar-oriented Depeche Mode or other 80's catchy guitar tunes.
That's what I'm saying. There is NO way in Hell that I would ever want, or look forward to a Cars pack, let alone an album, but I knew 7 of the 9 songs so I bought the album. I've HATED the Grateful Dead since I was old enough to know who they were, yet I bought 4 out of 6. The same goes for The Police, The Clash, Pretenders, Blondie, and, gulp, the freakin B-52's. At least they have a song(s) that I've heard, so I buy them.

I don't need to like every DLC song there is. I currently have 114 songs, which is a decent amount (I think), so I'm fairly easy to please, I just want more 'mainstream' bands, or 'bigger' bands, like posted above.
Old 06-14-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I previously stated, I was just having a little "that time of the month" thing yesterday for whatever reason.

I too wouldn't mind bigger bands or even guitar-oriented Depeche Mode (because they rock!). However, I know that they can't put those out every week. I'm extremely happy to have *something* new to look forward to every week. This is the game that keeps on giving, and most of us still play it daily/weekly, whereas we may have moved on from Gears or COD4 or some other "flavor of the month" type game.

Most of the bands that I would really like to see will probably never make it in to the game, as they're fairly obscure (at least to the masses). However, they surprised the hell out of a lot of us with the Thrash Pack, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I totally understand people's criticism of the "DLC", for those of you who are looking at the GH series, and seeing all the big names like Aerosmith, Metallica, and Van Halen. The difference is that you're only going to see those tracks pop up once every 4-6 months when a new retail disc ships. Activision/Harmonix have picked up their game a bit with their DLC and are getting some more "mid-ground" artists as DLC, which is great. Rock Band has had a range of artist quality, but I'd say we've had a good amount of "A" and "B" artists over the last six months, at least in my opinion.

The bottom line is, if you don't like it, voice your critisism. I'll try to let it wash off my back. We all know I'm very passionate about the game, and spend a lot of time not only playing it, but also getting information about it, making shitloads of personal spreadsheets, etc. I guess it's become one of my hobbies.

Carry on.
Old 06-14-08, 09:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I know it's cool on these boards to hate whatever the main population likes, but for my teenage kids and their friends, there just isn't enough songs that they know in the game. For a single player playing the drums or guitar, trying a new song from 20 or 30 years ago may be okay, but for a group of 10 kids taking turns singing and playing, Rock Band needs to stay in this century and release some of the monster hits from the last few years.
Old 06-14-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started a few pages back and Pixies was rumored for next week - what a tease! Playing that is going to rock so hard, I don't know what people are bitching about. One of the best bands of the past 20 years.

Now I just need to get to a longer "make your own setlist" in the world tour mode. I've made it to a 5-song one - is there a longer set available? I've been using that to play a Cars set, which by the way are the best releases so far I think. I thought I knew those songs but when I went to sing a few of them I realized I was wrong ha; at least they're fairly easy on guitar so I can focus on the vocal chart a little more.
Old 06-14-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they're going to continue with album DLC, they need a larger create-your-own setlist in BWT, but they really need a way to play the album from beginning to end in BWT and Solo tour. Considering the length of most of the Pixies songs, the effort and time taken to select and load them will be longer than the song itself. Seems like it could get really annoying really fast.
Old 06-14-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did I miss that Offspring was one of this week's DLC? Damn, I'm getting that for sure (even if it's one of the only good songs on their shitty new record.)...and even though I yawned earlier at the Pixies, I will have to get This Monkey's Gone to Heaven.
Old 06-14-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they're going to continue with album DLC, they need a larger create-your-own setlist in BWT, but they really need a way to play the album from beginning to end in BWT and Solo tour. Considering the length of most of the Pixies songs, the effort and time taken to select and load them will be longer than the song itself. Seems like it could get really annoying really fast.
Unfortunately, it looks like the "Make Your Own Setlist" feature is going to be pushed back to be a RB2 feature. I've wanted it ever since the Priest album came out, and it would be great to add a "band atmosphere" to get-togethers where you come up with a setlist to play together.

I'd prefer that they just kept patching RB, but I understand that they need to keep their face on retail shelves, and they'd definitely get thrown under the bus if they didn't have something this fall to battle GH:WT and Rock Revolution. Having all of the RB1 DLC compatible with RB2 is going to be a HUGE selling point.
Old 06-14-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd prefer that they just kept patching RB, but I understand that they need to keep their face on retail shelves, and they'd definitely get thrown under the bus if they didn't have something this fall to battle GH:WT and Rock Revolution. Having all of the RB1 DLC compatible with RB2 is going to be a HUGE selling point.
Yeah, I wish there was a better way than having to go with another disc, but I understand it. One of my concerns is, assuming DLC carries over, how they will address the on-disc songs that complete the album in the case of The Pixies, (hopefully) Nirvana, and Boston (I know...Boston minus 1).
Old 06-14-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I wish there was a better way than having to go with another disc, but I understand it. One of my concerns is, assuming DLC carries over, how they will address the on-disc songs that complete the album in the case of The Pixies, (hopefully) Nirvana, and Boston (I know...Boston minus 1).
I don't think there an answer to that question, as of yet. And most of the answers that I've seen proposed (not by HMX, but fans) haven't been well-received by a lot of people.

1. Throw it all up on the marketplace/PSN as DLC. Let people pick and choose, or give them an option to grab the pack at a massively discounted price.

People don't like this because they have to pay for the stuff again, or don't want to eat up gigs of HDD space with songs they have on a disc somewhere.

2. Have some kind of program where you can send in your RB disc to get a download code to get those tracks. It still eats up the HDD space, but you don't have to pay. This would allow only legit customers to have access, and you wouldn't be able to port songs over just by renting. However, some people wouldn't want to part with their discs.

I have no idea what route they'll take (if any), but I don't play a lot of the on-disc songs anymore anyways. Our weekly club meeting usually has about 4 disc songs played in the 4 hour span. It's usually Welcome Home, Flirtin', Run to the Hills, GG&HT and sometimes WGFA. There's so much DLC stuff now that we've kind of grown past the disc stuff.
Old 06-14-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's no way I'd send a physical disc in for DLC. I'd rather just pay. Like you, outside of BWT, I've moved on from the main setlist save for a few songs (Coheed, Bon Jovi, BOC). I'd rather just drop a buck a piece to download them for RB2. It's not like I'd be buying all 50+ tunes, just a handful. They could make it to where you have to buy from the music store off the disc. Sure people could rent it and buy tunes, but even at a dollar each, they'd still make a killing.

Chances are, that neither scenario will happen and we will just have to disc swap.
Old 06-14-08, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Chances are, that neither scenario will happen and we will just have to disc swap.
Agreed...remember back when RB came out, and complaints about no online BWT, no custom set lists, etc. came about? Harmonix made it sound as though they were going to try and patch it ASAP. Well, were they ever honestly attempting to patch it, or were they just telling us that to shut us up? That's still far and away my biggest complaint about the game (Harmonix saying something and it never coming to fruition), which still isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since it's a great game without those things. But I think it just shows that Harmonix is great at making music games, but maybe not so good on the business/PR side of things.
Old 06-14-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed...remember back when RB came out, and complaints about no online BWT, no custom set lists, etc. came about? Harmonix made it sound as though they were going to try and patch it ASAP. Well, were they ever honestly attempting to patch it, or were they just telling us that to shut us up? That's still far and away my biggest complaint about the game (Harmonix saying something and it never coming to fruition), which still isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since it's a great game without those things. But I think it just shows that Harmonix is great at making music games, but maybe not so good on the business/PR side of things.
I have a feeling that they really wanted to patch those things in, but EA has their hand in the pie as well. They're also not the only "band" game in town anymore, and need to keep their space in stores secure.
Old 06-14-08, 05:50 PM
Suspended

I have a feeling that they really wanted to patch those things in, but EA has their hand in the pie as well. They're also not the only "band" game in town anymore, and need to keep their space in stores secure.
Yeah, I wondered if EA's involvement didn't have something to do with it.
Old 06-14-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember a Q&A early on where Harmonix said they couldn't get online BWT into the game but might be able to do it in a future version. Some took that to mean a patch, others took it to mean RB2.
Old 06-14-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can understand BWT being held. Maybe it couldn't be patched. Fine, but what about all the other features the game is lacking that could be done with a patch? Sorting DLC? Custom setlists? Bass tour? etc. I'm going to have to agree with you guys. Sounds like EA has their hand in this one.
Old 06-14-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can understand BWT being held. Maybe it couldn't be patched. Fine, but what about all the other features the game is lacking that could be done with a patch? Sorting DLC? Custom setlists? Bass tour? etc. I'm going to have to agree with you guys. Sounds like EA has their hand in this one.
Oh sure. I pointed out BWT because it really does seem to be the kind of feature that'd be difficult to patch in, and I was never really under the impression that it was coming soon. But the other stuff I agree we should've seen by now. And I know PS3 users have a few annoying glitchy things that should have been patched a long time ago.
Old 06-15-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I wondered if EA's involvement didn't have something to do with it.
I don't think it has anything to do with EA. I heard an interview somewhere that it was almost impossible to do band world tour online, because each person will progress through the world tour differently than the others in the band. Multiply that times each character for each instrument and being able to track the performance for every song and it was just too much to do in the first game.
Old 06-16-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shag - same drill. Start a new one, and then let me know via PM so I can close this one.