DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/529585-official-wii-fit-thread-fat-americans-may-19th-%2490.html)

PixyJunket 04-15-08 11:08 AM

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

After the Wii Balance Board had to retooled for our.. ahem, "more advanced" countrymen, it finally has a release date: May 19th and a price: $89.99. It's sure to elicit pages upon pages of bitching from whiny DVDTalkers who think $5 is too much for a video game but will sell millions to everybody else.

The IGN guys say it works and it works fantastically and certainly deserves the massive amounts of sales it has garnered in Japan and will surely swallow up when it's released here (and in Europe). There are also apparently ten games in development that will use the peripheral.

So who's in?

SmackDaddy 04-15-08 11:14 AM

My lazy ass will be picking this up. Perhaps a Biggest Loser "Wii Fit" Edition is in order.

slop101 04-15-08 11:15 AM

I'd get this for the possibility of a snowboarding game.

PixyJunket 04-15-08 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
My lazy ass will be picking this up. Perhaps a Biggest Loser "Wii Fit" Edition is in order.

That would be interesting to follow, for sure.

I'm picking it up more as a "keep in shape" tool than a "lose weight" tool.

Groucho 04-15-08 11:23 AM

My tendency with games like this (e.g. Brain Age) is that I play religiously for a couple weeks before I've seen everything and lose interest. Not a big deal @ $15, for for $90 I'll probably pass.

PixyJunket 04-15-08 11:26 AM

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/...balance-board/

Washington (dbTechno) - It has been confirmed that the upcoming boxing game from 2K Sports, Don King Presents: Prizefighter will use the Wii Fit Balance Board for controls.

The confirmation came from Matthew Seymour, Executive Producer at 2K Europe.

The upcoming boxing game will make full use of the Wii Fit Balance Board during various aspects of the game.

The Balance Board is going to be used in many of the training mini-games. This will include push-ups, jump rope, etc. This means that you will be basically training right along with your fighter as you move up the ranks.

Seymour stated they are working with boxing trainers to put together workouts with the Balance Board that are true to life.
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1...tlittleev3.gif

superdeluxe 04-15-08 11:28 AM

I'm in.

Raul3 04-15-08 11:32 AM

My wife wants this game.

steebo777 04-15-08 11:33 AM

I'm buying it :thumbsup:

RichC2 04-15-08 11:38 AM

Stole my Bike, Bike Bike...

Yeah, I'm probably in for one as well. Honestly, I want to buy a Wii, Wii Fit, and the Williams Pinball collection for the mom on her bday.

UncleGramps 04-15-08 11:39 AM

I'm curious about it, but honestly, $90 is a lot of money. I think I'll wait and see what other games use the balance board before I make that investment. This thing will be huge with the "mainstream" portion of the Wii's target audience (who probably have a couple of Wii games at most and thus won't mind dropping $90 on this), but many "core" gamers might have enough other games on their plate to make the price tag a bit intimidating.

spainlinx0 04-15-08 12:34 PM

The price tag is a bit high, but I'm still debating. I tend to do the same thing as Groucho with these games. I loved Brain Age, but later lost the point of continuing. However I like the idea of using it for other games, but I don't know if just WiiFit alone is worth it if it doesn't have the potential for some really intense workouts.

Who am I kidding? I am going to buy this thing.

raven56706 04-15-08 12:52 PM

my wife wants this so i will be getting it....

GreenVulture 04-15-08 01:10 PM

I'm still trying to find a Wii. :(

fumanstan 04-15-08 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I'm curious about it, but honestly, $90 is a lot of money. I think I'll wait and see what other games use the balance board before I make that investment. This thing will be huge with the "mainstream" portion of the Wii's target audience (who probably have a couple of Wii games at most and thus won't mind dropping $90 on this), but many "core" gamers might have enough other games on their plate to make the price tag a bit intimidating.

This is where i stand. Not interested in spending $90 for this thing, but if enough games come out that use it I might bite. As it stands, the fitness game I demo'd this on back at E3 last year isn't nearly enough. The boxing game mentioned above doesn't seem that interesting to me either.

I too, would also probably use it for a couple weeks and then let it sit and collect dust. Heck, that's pretty much what happened for me with the Wii itself.

I also don't need something like this to keep in shape.

markwe 04-15-08 02:03 PM

For poeple still having trouble finding a Wii. My local blockbuster is getting a small shipment (around 3-4) on wednesday. You might want to call them around 3-4 pm seeing if they got any in.

mattysemo247 04-15-08 02:18 PM

If anyone wants to save some money on tax and shipping, Amazon has them up now for preorder.

BravesMG 04-15-08 02:20 PM

Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the board?

PixyJunket 04-15-08 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I'd get this for the possibility of a snowboarding game.

We Ski will use the Wii Balance Board along with the Remote and Nunchuck.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
If anyone wants to save some money on tax and shipping, Amazon has them up now for preorder.

Good call, I'm going to go that route.

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the board?

330 pounds.

SmackDaddy 04-15-08 02:27 PM

Some UK article mentioned 24 stone which is roughly 336lbs.

slop101 04-15-08 02:28 PM

Here's a good, thorough and comprehensive review of Wii Fit that does a great job at outlining exactly what it offers.

tbird2340 04-15-08 03:02 PM

Will they sell just the WiiFit boards? Like if you wanted to WiiFit Yoga with your wife / someone else?

ScandalUMD 04-15-08 03:10 PM

My mother is talking about getting a Wii for this.

Michael Corvin 04-15-08 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
After the Wii Balance Board had to retooled for our.. ahem, "more advanced" countrymen,

Cheapy D seemed to have debunked this rumor in the latest CAGCast.

$90 is too high for what is basically a dance mat without a full game(more on par with the WiiPlay disc). Should have been about $70.

drmoze 04-15-08 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
My tendency with games like this (e.g. Brain Age) is that I play religiously for a couple weeks before I've seen everything and lose interest. Not a big deal @ $15, for for $90 I'll probably pass.

The difference is, apart from some games, many folks will buy it as a fitness item. It's not like people say: "Oh, I already did curls and chest expansions at the gym for a week, so I'm not gonna work out anymore." :)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$90 is too high for what is basically a dance mat without a full game(more on par with the WiiPlay disc). Should have been about $70.

It's a lot more than a "dance mat" which only has a few on/off contact switches. The wiifit unit has (I'm assuming) piezo-based pressure sensors which allow a lot more functionality, like balance, leaning, etc.

I bet a lot of people don't even believe that just doing relatively static yoga postures can really improve balance, flexibility, and muscle tone without a lot of bouncing around. (I'll be getting one, and mostly for yoga-type stuff and skiing-type games.)