Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Old 05-27-08, 01:32 PM
  #401  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,759
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Pixy was trying to weigh the BMI of a rain drop.
Old 05-27-08, 01:34 PM
  #402  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yes. He meant that a massive rain storm is coming so it was good that he moved the board from under a leak. Now why it was there in the first place and there was nothing placed to catch the leak at all is another question.

At first thought, It sounded like he lost his roof, or at least a portion of it, where the rain would have come down on his fit?
Old 05-27-08, 01:43 PM
  #403  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,513
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I did about 30 minutes yesterday of the aerobics, then wind down a little with some yoga stretching.

Wow, it was a great workout!
yea.. we just played around with it some lastnight.. the kids wanted to try a bunch out.. but i did the basic run a couple times

Ive been running on a treadmill regularly for months.. but after those 2 quick times doing basic run.. i can really feel it in my calves today.. havent felt that from the treadmill in months.. most be different portion of my calves thats that got worked while running in place as opposed to 'mock forward'
Old 05-27-08, 02:12 PM
  #404  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,225
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yes. He meant that a massive rain storm is coming so it was good that he moved the board from under a leak. Now why it was there in the first place and there was nothing placed to catch the leak at all is another question.
It's been hot and dry here so I didn't place it there as it was leaking and ultimately it was due to lack of spots to put it at the time, the apartment is quickly running out of room now that the girlfriend moved in. The management will not be happy too hear about this (they've sent roofers to patch it three times already).
Old 05-27-08, 04:35 PM
  #405  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,513
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
so.. i see the wii fit scale isnt very accurate
it had me down 4.4lbs.. i weighed on a real scale yesterday around the same time i played, and again today at the same time i played.. real weight diff was -0.8

big difference (not to mention being 4-6 lbs lower than my real scale)
Old 05-27-08, 04:44 PM
  #406  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
so.. i see the wii fit scale isnt very accurate
it had me down 4.4lbs.. i weighed on a real scale yesterday around the same time i played, and again today at the same time i played.. real weight diff was -0.8

big difference (not to mention being 4-6 lbs lower than my real scale)

Many people have those big differences when they are using the balance board on carpet, try putting the legs on (that seemed to solve it for many)
Old 05-27-08, 04:47 PM
  #407  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,513
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
interesting.. we didnt put the legs on.. ill give that a shot
will make my graph suck
Old 05-27-08, 05:23 PM
  #408  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,513
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
ok.. just weighed in again with the legs on
that made a big difference.. got me to about a pound below my scale upstairs.. which is probably pretty accurate
of course.. it shows alot of weight gain so my chart really sucks now
and i went from normal to overweight
Old 05-28-08, 01:48 PM
  #409  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the legs on mine, and it seems that I weigh less than I should, but it's probably accurate since I haven't been taking care of myself and eating well lately.

I like most of the exercises and get a really good workout from them, but some of them don't seem to use or need the balance board, like the jackknives. The push-up and plank exercise really kills the palms of your hands. You can see the imprint of where the balance board gripping bumps pressed into your hands. Most of the balance games are really poor as far as response goes, especially the soccer one. The hula hoop one seems to take too long to lean over to catch the hoops unless you lift your opposite foot clear off the board. Overall, I'm glad I bought it, especially if more games use it.
Old 05-28-08, 02:58 PM
  #410  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,759
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sdcrym
I've got the legs on mine, and it seems that I weigh less than I should, but it's probably accurate since I haven't been taking care of myself and eating well lately.

I like most of the exercises and get a really good workout from them, but some of them don't seem to use or need the balance board, like the jackknives. The push-up and plank exercise really kills the palms of your hands. You can see the imprint of where the balance board gripping bumps pressed into your hands. Most of the balance games are really poor as far as response goes, especially the soccer one. The hula hoop one seems to take too long to lean over to catch the hoops unless you lift your opposite foot clear off the board. Overall, I'm glad I bought it, especially if more games use it.
I pretty much agree on all points you raised. Especially on the response time.
Old 05-28-08, 03:08 PM
  #411  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hrmmm, I'm not having any issues with the response. I wonder what factors contribute to those.
Old 05-28-08, 03:19 PM
  #412  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 14,088
Received 1,998 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Prrrrrrobably safe for work:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by story; 05-28-08 at 03:24 PM. Reason: To add the "probably safe for work" so people don't die...
Old 05-28-08, 03:24 PM
  #413  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,392
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Hrmmm, I'm not having any issues with the response. I wonder what factors contribute to those.
The first time I did the hula hoop, no problems bending from side-to-side to catch them. Ever since my guy just stands there or half-heartedly raises his arms to catch them a bit too late. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-28-08, 06:29 PM
  #414  
Suspended; also need updated email
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,564
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
With the jogging, if you really focus on getting a decent knee lift, it can be a really good workout
Old 05-28-08, 07:11 PM
  #415  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
With the jogging, if you really focus on getting a decent knee lift, it can be a really good workout
I'm not at that point, I'm at the point where I am jogging, its a good workout.

Is there anyway to be able to run longer than 5 minutes or what not? I have opened the advanced 'jog' bit.
Old 05-28-08, 08:10 PM
  #416  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
The first time I did the hula hoop, no problems bending from side-to-side to catch them. Ever since my guy just stands there or half-heartedly raises his arms to catch them a bit too late. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I find rather than actually leaning over, I just shift my weight mostly to one side and the mii moves fairly well - I've got some decent hula scores because I never miss a hoop... same thing with soccer, except getting back to center takes longer and usually ends my streaks...
Old 05-28-08, 08:22 PM
  #417  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,578
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
Prrrrrrobably safe for work:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>


Very nice.
Old 05-28-08, 08:26 PM
  #418  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
wow

pretty cool. People are hacking the Balance boards to do other things:

Fly in Google Earth using the Wii Balance board:

http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/05/28/...balance-board/

Matthieu Deru and Simon Bergweiler from the German Research Center have put together an impressive hack that allows you to Fly in Google Earth using the Wii Balance Board

"After hours of testing and C# coding, you can now use your Wii Balance Board as a new input device."
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKUDU9lE--E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKUDU9lE--E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The possibilities are endless
Old 05-28-08, 11:09 PM
  #419  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got mine today! I had fun playing with it and did about 34 minutes of "training". I am sadly, "overweight".

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit your goal weight that you first entered during set-up? I could not find a place to do that and I think low-balled it for the 2 week period. (I am dieting as well.)
Old 05-28-08, 11:34 PM
  #420  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 43,205
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I'm not at that point, I'm at the point where I am jogging, its a good workout.

Is there anyway to be able to run longer than 5 minutes or what not? I have opened the advanced 'jog' bit.
Do it twice. If you want to run for 15 minutes, do it 3 times.
Old 05-29-08, 12:37 AM
  #421  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Finally got mine today! I had fun playing with it and did about 34 minutes of "training". I am sadly, "overweight".

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit your goal weight that you first entered during set-up? I could not find a place to do that and I think low-balled it for the 2 week period. (I am dieting as well.)

I believe the fit told me I could change my settings in the Fit's options (which I think is back at the wii fit plaza)
Old 05-29-08, 01:21 AM
  #422  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Very nice.
Wow! Those hips don't lie!

No wonder there are so many men interested in buying this for their wives/girlfriends.

They either already look great, and the men can just sit back and enjoy watching their women get "Wii Fit", or, they are wishing their women will look like that, so they can sit back and enjoy the view!
Old 05-29-08, 05:20 AM
  #423  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,685
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I'm not at that point, I'm at the point where I am jogging, its a good workout.

Is there anyway to be able to run longer than 5 minutes or what not? I have opened the advanced 'jog' bit.

I think the Island Run is 9 minutes. You also open up Free Run eventually.
Old 05-29-08, 08:01 AM
  #424  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,759
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Wow! Those hips don't lie!

No wonder there are so many men interested in buying this for their wives/girlfriends.

They either already look great, and the men can just sit back and enjoy watching their women get "Wii Fit", or, they are wishing their women will look like that, so they can sit back and enjoy the view!
That was an awesome video. Definitely the reason why I bought WiiFit (now if I can only get my girl fit to look like that one in the video).
Old 05-29-08, 08:58 AM
  #425  
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: WPB FL
Posts: 3,530
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit your goal weight that you first entered during set-up? I could not find a place to do that and I think low-balled it for the 2 week period. (I am dieting as well.)
I had the same problem you can't edit it, not until you either reach your goal or your 2 week period is up.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.