Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Old 05-25-08, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
I've had one since Wednesday but I haven't opened it yet. I'm thinking of taking it back. If the workouts are challenging, I would stick with it. I'm more worried that I wouldn't feel like it's doing me any good.
It's no substtute for a gym membership, but it definitely is real exercise.
Old 05-25-08, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a different type of exercise its core training. No weights just tightening and holding muscles in certain positions. Troy Polamalu is a big time core trainer I remember reading that he never lifts more than 15 pounds and just focuses on core training
Old 05-25-08, 11:16 PM

what I am saying is you get solid you dont get swoll
Old 05-26-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
I went to Wal-mart Monday night and waited in line to get Wii Fit, but I still haven't opened it because I'm not sure if it's really for me. I most-likely will open it sometime soon because it sounds pretty decent. I just don't know how much fun playing an exercise video game would be or how much replayability I'd get out of it before my lazy ass would get bored.

You do realize that there will be other titles coming out that will use the board? Its not just for the Fit. There are already several titles coming out for this thing.
Old 05-26-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gromit
I've had one since Wednesday but I haven't opened it yet. I'm thinking of taking it back. If the workouts are challenging, I would stick with it. I'm more worried that I wouldn't feel like it's doing me any good.

Well all you have to do is read all the responses in this thread/other video game forum threads/and news reports/blogs by people using the Fit.

Or you can try it out for yourself, and keep the board for its future applications.
Old 05-26-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L
Can you imagine a boxing game where you use the remote and nunchuck to box with, while standing on the Wii Board to sway back and forth to duck and dodge?
I can imagine it pretty well, since Wii Fit has boxing in it that works similar to what you describe! Sure it's no 'Punch Out', but it's a start - so yeah, I think they're going to put something out utilizing this...
Old 05-26-08, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you who do not have this yet, I suggest to try your local blockbuster.

I walked in to mine today and asked the person at the desk if I can put my name on a waiting list. She said that there was one over on the shelf. It was the last one and it has been sitting there since Wednesday. She said most people do not associate Blockbuster with video games for sale.

I can't wait to fire it up tonight.

I hope some of you guys have the same luck I did.
Old 05-26-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
That's exactly where I picked mine up today! Got the last one at a random Blockbuster. Trued Fry's , Best Buy, Target, Circuit City and Wal-mart before stopping in at Blockbuster.
Old 05-26-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
corrie tried the game shops today.. they all said their waiting lists are so long, that she is better off with sams club, costco, target, or walmart..
she tried sams and target today.. no luck at either

after reading this thread.. she figured she would go check blockbuster.. since its only a couple miles up the road.. personally, i would be shocked if she found one there.. but worth checking.
Old 05-26-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

no wii fit at blockbuster.. but she really wanted it.. and technically, that was part of her mothers day present

so i figured i would check walmart.com and see if they list it in stock at any of the stores near me..
it showed up in stock at 3 or 4 diff walmarts within 20 miles.. so corrie ran to the closest one which only said 'limited stock' and they had 3.. i assume the ones that listed 'in stock' had even more..

so she has one now.

http://www.walmart.com/wiifit?redirect_query=wii+fit

Last edited by twikoff; 05-26-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

i didnt read the whole thread, so dont know if this has been posted.. Im assuming it has.. but its funny, so Ill report

review at amazon
Wii Fit is so much fun and you're gonna love it a lot, like buying a new car or donating your blood to charity--it will make you feel good every day and in almost every way.

I've been playing it nonstop since I bought it and I have found out some super awesome cheat codes and ways to beat the game!!!

1) When you're doing the running game, the Wii totally doesn't know whether you're actually running or not, so if you shake the controller up and down, it thinks you're doing really well. You won't have to run even a little bit! Me, one point. Wii, zero!

2) For the hula hoop challenge, it wants you to swing your hips a lot as it calculates spins and calories being burned. But if you hold down the A button while you do it, it thinks you're working off many more calories than you are!

3) On any of the balance tests, I recommend getting a book or a large turtle and put it on the Wii board. It will cheat the system into thinking you have perfect balance. Ditto for the Yoga games. Again, book or turtle or (if you prefer) turtle on book.

4) When you're doing the Jacknife ab crunches, the Wii is only measuring when your feet hit the board--not actually anything to do with the crunches. So just sit on the floor and tap the board with both hands every time it thinks you're coming down from the crunch, and you can definitely cheat that game. I usually take a snack break while I do this one.

5) Finally, if you want to get a better BMI and weight reading for the Body Test (and therefore lower your Wii Fit Age), I suggest moving a few couches or chairs on either side of you, support your body with your arms on those couches(chairs) and then just lower yourself slightly onto the board. That way, it's not gonna read your full body weight, but instead you can get it at exactly what you want it to be.

I'm guessing the Nintendo people don't want me revealing these cheats, but these loopholes are indeed there, and that's not my fault, and all I'm doing is sharing them with you so you can do better at the game!
Old 05-26-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh this is one game where there is no benefit to cheating, you get to unlock things by the time alotment I believe, not how well you do at them
Old 05-27-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Eh this is one game where there is no benefit to cheating, you get to unlock things by the time alotment I believe, not how well you do at them
Correct.

In reference to that Amazon review, if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. Did you buy it to work out or to goof off? You know what else works, not running around trying to find a copy at all. Just stay on your lazy butt in front of the TV.
Old 05-27-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm still hoping that there's a Wii CrossFit that comes with kettlebells.
Old 05-27-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still waiting for my Amazon shipment. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. It sucks because I am going out of town Friday for the weekend so I will not get to play with it too much before my trip.
Old 05-27-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did about 30 minutes yesterday of the aerobics, then wind down a little with some yoga stretching.

Wow, it was a great workout!
Old 05-27-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked one up at GameRush/Blockbuster on release day, but have yet to open it. Debating whether I want to sell it on EBAY or actually open it.
Old 05-27-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone really think that the Amazon review is anything other than a joke? Read the whole thing and it's pretty obvious. It's a good parody of gamer culture, though.
Old 05-27-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I almost lost my $90 investment.. I had stored my Balance Board under a spot where the roof had been leaking and before I left for work this morning I placed it on the couch for safe measure; lo and behold I turn my head and it's pitch black outside.
Old 05-27-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those cheats are real, not that I've tried them, but the jacknife ab crunches seem to work like that.

Just teach me how to do better in ski jump, I suck in that game. I'm not even in the records there, my wife and daughter have all the places there
Old 05-27-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the cheats are real, but the joke is that people would try to cheat at a game whose sole purpose is exercise and fitness. With the comments about using a book or large turtle to fool the board and taking a snack break during the jackknife crunches, it's pretty obvious that the reviewer was making a joke.
Old 05-27-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I picked one up at GameRush/Blockbuster on release day, but have yet to open it. Debating whether I want to sell it on EBAY or actually open it.

Longer you wait, the lower the sale price is going to be.
Old 05-27-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wow, I almost lost my $90 investment.. I had stored my Balance Board under a spot where the roof had been leaking and before I left for work this morning I placed it on the couch for safe measure; lo and behold I turn my head and it's pitch black outside.
Does this make sense????
Old 05-27-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmoze
Does this make sense????

No, it doesn't lol.
Old 05-27-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Does this make sense????
Yes. He meant that a massive rain storm is coming so it was good that he moved the board from under a leak. Now why it was there in the first place and there was nothing placed to catch the leak at all is another question.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.