Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 09:27 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I've been reading about the same issue, people would put this on their carpet, without the legs, and the scale would be way off, put the legs on, and its pretty close on target.

I think if the carpet is thick/high, then if it even comes close to the board, its going to skew it.
We have berber carpet and do not need the extra legs.

It's only about a pound +/- off our home scale.
Old 05-23-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee

Sony and MS are just wading about in Nintendo's pool now.

Eh I don't really see it like that.

You got your HD/high intense graphics gaming machines, then you have your family/gathering/interaction machines

Both are needed.
Old 05-23-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well crap. Looks like I'm going to be waiting for a while to get one if they end up being as scarce as the Wii remotes were for the first year after launch. This was the title I really wanted too. Guess I'll have to just play Brawl and MarioKart until I find a copy.
So I cruised around to two Best Buys, Costco and a Target. No dice. Then on the way out of the shopping plaza that had a Best Buy and a Target I saw a GameCrazy. Figured what they heck, I'm here:

GameCrazy Dude: Can I help you?
Me: Yeah maybe but probably not...
GameCrazy Dude: Well what are you looking for?
Me: Wii Fit?
GameCrazy Dude: Yeah sure. I have one more left.
Me: Are you KIDDING ME!?!?!?!
GameCrazy Dude: No. Someone cancelled their pre-order.

Five minutes later I am dashing out of there to get my new game in my Wii.

This thing is definitely smooth and very worked out. I can't wait to delve into it more this weekend!
Old 05-23-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Cracked it open last night.. Couldn't wait any longer.. I didn't have much time to play it but I got my profile created and did the first two exercises in the strength category (the leg extensions and pushups).

I have to say I really like it so far even though I haven't done much yet..

The only issue I had was I didn't put the extra legs on initially and it weighed me at 150.. I am 183 according to my bathroom scale.. I put the extra legs on and it had me at 178 (I choose to +/- 0 lbs for the clothing).. So it differs from my home scale by 5 lbs..

Anyone else see that much of a difference?
+/- 10-15 on mine. Scale broke a few months ago so i don't know. Will try the extra legs and play it naked tonight.
Old 05-23-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I the only one who sucks at the stepping one? I rarely get perfect even though I'm stepping on and off the board at the exact same time as the Mii's... it's kind of pissing me off... maybe there is some lag somewhere, because to my eyes I'm getting pretty close but only get like 10% perfect and the rest are OK...
Old 05-23-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by actyper
+/- 10-15 on mine. Scale broke a few months ago so i don't know. Will try the extra legs and play it naked tonight.
TMI, dude. TMI.

Old 05-23-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I didn't need to read that.

About the stepping game, my wife and daughter have played with the Wii Fit the most, specially my daughter and they say it seems to be lag with that game. So yeah, not all games work perfectly or maybe we need to adjust some settings.

We also saw the difference in the weight, in our case we are seeing -4 or 5 lbs. That's actually good
I'll try the extra legs and see the difference.
Old 05-23-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actyper

Dude you can deduct pounds based on the weight of your clothes.
Old 05-23-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but with clothes on, wii fit is not as much fun for parties
Old 05-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Am I the only one who sucks at the stepping one? I rarely get perfect even though I'm stepping on and off the board at the exact same time as the Mii's... it's kind of pissing me off... maybe there is some lag somewhere, because to my eyes I'm getting pretty close but only get like 10% perfect and the rest are OK...
yeah. the music is a lil off beat. However, once you get the first perfect it is easy to stay on a role.

My only gripe (and it is a small one) is lack of instruction on some of the games. I am not a skier so I did not know leaning forward would make my skier go faster and my jumper jump further. I guess I should know to keep the red dot in the blue dot to maximize speed but it didn't come to me instictively to lean forward..

Last edited by HotThang; 05-23-08 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by HotThang
yeah. the music is a lil off beat. However, once you get the first perfect it is easy to stay on a role.
I usually do much better at the stepping game when I follow the characters, and not the diagrams, though it makes it hard to tell at times which way to step off...
Old 05-23-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It's pretty effed up still. I'm 5'6", about 160-170 pounds and considered overweight by the standard.

I'm not actually offended by that, just perplexed.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that BMI is a *good* scale, just that it's an established, standardized one (for better or worse). ANd it's not 'discriminatory' or 'self-esteem-killing' or whatever PC label you want to put on it. If it says you're obese, then you're probably heavy for one reason or another. If you're big-boned or heavily muscled, then understand that. if you're actually fat(!), then lose some weight or admit it and suck it up! For me, I'm borderline overweight/obese, know I should lose some weight, and am working on that. I'm not offended by the classification, and I'm not thinking of suing Nintendo because they stomped on my self-image.
Old 05-23-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I finally got on a role and managed to get over 50% perfects...however I still never get that many stars though - this one is tough!
Old 05-23-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I'm just going to watch for one, and when I see it, I'll snag it.
Old 05-23-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had remembered yesterday thanks to this thread that the wii fit was coming out and so frantically i called Best Buy (No Go), the PX (No Go), Target (No Go) and Walmart (No Go). So this morning I was going to go to Game Stop, Circuit City and KB Toys. When I got to CC this morning, they werent open at 0935, so I went to Target. I walking like a champ down the aisle to electronics when I saw this guy requesting help to get something out of the glass case. Low and behold there were 2 Wii Fit's!! I said, "Can I get the other one?" And now I own this bad boy. Haven't used it yet though.

Last edited by IdgIe49; 05-23-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Yeah, I finally got on a role and managed to get over 50% perfects...however I still never get that many stars though - this one is tough!
Wait unil you unlock advanced!
Old 05-25-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a heads up, I just got back from walmart, they had 10 of them they just put out. They flew off the shelf fast. But maybe one of you guys will get lucky. I got one
Old 05-25-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just finished the running and this is a workout... maybe not the best but it works up a sweat
Old 05-25-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there a structure to the workout, or do you just workout what you want? I won't have a chance to open it until tomorrow(hopefully).
Old 05-25-08, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Is there a structure to the workout, or do you just workout what you want? I won't have a chance to open it until tomorrow(hopefully).
You just do what you want. Wii Fit is basically a bunch of minigames. The minigames are categorized in four groups: Yoga, Strength, Aerobics, and Balance. You start off with 3-5 minigames in each category unlocked at the most basic level. The game tracks how long you play, and as time goes by, you unlock more mini games and harder levels. Other than that, it's pretty unstructured.

Personally, I've been starting off with 2-4 yoga poses to warm up, then some strength training, then some balance games, then some aerobics, and finally more yoga to cool down. On the other hand, my wife got obsessed with one particular balance game (the one where you try to drop the marbles through the hole) and spent half an hour playing nothing but that. So it's really watever you want to do.
Old 05-25-08, 06:59 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think a good order to do the activities would be aerobic first for at least 15 mins, then some yoga, then strength then warm down with balance
Old 05-25-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow the yoga games are kicking my ass, especially the tree.
Old 05-25-08, 09:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I went to Wal-mart Monday night and waited in line to get Wii Fit, but I still haven't opened it because I'm not sure if it's really for me. I most-likely will open it sometime soon because it sounds pretty decent. I just don't know how much fun playing an exercise video game would be or how much replayability I'd get out of it before my lazy ass would get bored.
Old 05-25-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally put in about 30 minutes with it earlier today, and it has totally won me over. Not only the overall exercise concept, but the board itself. There's all sorts of things that developers will be able to do with it, and I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Can you imagine a boxing game where you use the remote and nunchuck to box with, while standing on the Wii Board to sway back and forth to duck and dodge?

How about a Wii shooting game, like the one they had in arcades, where you had to duck and sway for cover from the enemies gunfire?

Nintendo is genius, and they're really showing that this generation. It started with the DS, then the Wii and Wii Sports, and now Wii Fit. I'd be willing to bet that Wii Music will be the next big thing for the system, in terms of causing a huge stir.

Last edited by Brent L; 05-25-08 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I went to Wal-mart Monday night and waited in line to get Wii Fit, but I still haven't opened it because I'm not sure if it's really for me. I most-likely will open it sometime soon because it sounds pretty decent. I just don't know how much fun playing an exercise video game would be or how much replayability I'd get out of it before my lazy ass would get bored.
I've had one since Wednesday but I haven't opened it yet. I'm thinking of taking it back. If the workouts are challenging, I would stick with it. I'm more worried that I wouldn't feel like it's doing me any good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.