Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Wii Fit Thread of Fat Americans (May 19th, $90)

Old 05-22-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
Same here. Does Target allow returns on opened video games?

opened? I don't think so
Old 05-22-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So are any of you fat bitches thin yet?

workin on it
Old 05-22-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Does anyone else think there is going to be a glut of these on the second-hand market in a few months when people realize they simply don't like exercising, even when it's fun?
From what I've seen of the videos, WiiFit is hardly exercise. Certainly, it's better than nothing but you can't call it a workout anymore that you can call playing Guitar Hero playing guitar.

(My main problem with this thing is the cost: it just doesn't seem to be worthy of the $90 pricetag).
Old 05-22-08, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
From what I've seen of the videos, WiiFit is hardly exercise. Certainly, it's better than nothing but you can't call it a workout anymore that you can call playing Guitar Hero playing guitar.

(My main problem with this thing is the cost: it just doesn't seem to be worthy of the $90 pricetag).
The running and Yoga are definitely exercise.
Old 05-22-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure I agree with this.. Someone mentioned Yoga.. Also, I thought I read about doing situps / pushups, aerobics, etc..

Granted, you can do all of this stuff without WiiFit but I wouldn't say it's not exercise..

I bought it basically for aerobic type exercising.. I certainly wouldn't use it for strength training or anything like that but I hope for it to make the aerobic that I hate doing, bearable..
Old 05-22-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've defintely felt the burn of doing some of the exercises and did sweat a little. If you think it's ever something that can top running outside or machines and weights at the gym, then you are in for disappointment. For many people it's a good first step and a lot more activity than they've ever done. The Yoga is great, and the balance board goes a long to make sure you are doing it correctly.

The board is a great product. It works surprisingly well together with the software. Better than any workout DVD people could buy, and it's probably a better value than that gym membership many people only use a few times.
Old 05-22-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
So how long until dumb people who hurt themselves on the balance boards start bringing lawsuits against Nintendo? There's even the possibility of really out of shape people suffering heart-attacks while on it - and with over a million of these out there, there's bound to be a couple instances of this eventually.
Old 05-22-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question.. I think I've read there aren't really workout routines per say...

So what exactly do you do when you fire it up? Just choose exactly what you want to do? There isn't like a "daily workout" or anything that has you go through a series of different things?
Old 05-22-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, checking UPS, mine might actually arrive tonight.
Old 05-22-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
So how long until dumb people who hurt themselves on the balance boards start bringing lawsuits against Nintendo? There's even the possibility of really out of shape people suffering heart-attacks while on it - and with over a million of these out there, there's bound to be a couple instances of this eventually.

Nintendo has warnings all over the place, specifically, check with your doctor if you can use it (if you have heart issues etc)
Old 05-22-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WiiFit is hardly exercise.
That couldn't be further from the truth.

No it does not compare to the Gym, but you can get your heart rate up for sustained periods on the fit. Its like a workout video, that has a board to keep you on track, you wouldnt say workout dvds are not 'real' exercise.
Old 05-22-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Question.. I think I've read there aren't really workout routines per say...

So what exactly do you do when you fire it up? Just choose exactly what you want to do? There isn't like a "daily workout" or anything that has you go through a series of different things?
You create a profile, get weighed, get the BMI and choose your activities, I agree with everyone else that Nintendo should had a 'program' on there.
Old 05-22-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We finally tried it last night. I went to the gym around 6 pm, running and weights for 1 hours, really good workout. Then we had dinner, and after that we opened the game.

My wife compared it to the Brain game where you are keeping score of your progress and that kind of stuff. The think we like here, since we are competitive family is that you see records for the users. So we are trying to outscore each one all the time.

Running is good, but I need a larger space since I keep moving forward. Of course it was just 3 minutes or something like that, since it was just for beginners, but if you keep doing it will open new levels for you. Of course I don't expect to exchange that to running in the gym or outdoors.

The strength exercises are really good, I did 10 abs exercises and I could feel how it was working. They open a new level for me, tried that and it was really hard. So it seems like a really good option for that kind of exercises.

The balance exercises are good too, but I am really bad with them. I guess they should be good to me. I tried the hula hoop game and it was a really good exercise, I felt tired doing it. And of course I'd never do that kind of exercises in public, so that's one thing that I'll only do at home.

In conclusion, if you don't go to a gym the Wii Fit is a good option, combine it with running outdoors and you should have a good option to be in good shape.

For me, I'm training for a Half Marathon in August, so I'll continue going to the gym and doing my exercises there and running outdoor when I can. I may play Wii Fit a couple of days a week when I can't go the gym or I have a cross training day.
Old 05-22-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
how does the wiifit hook to the wii? is it wireless or do you hook it to a wiimote?
Old 05-22-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is wireless.
Old 05-22-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You just synchronize the board with the Wii like you synchronize a wii mote.

According to the Wii Fit, not that I don't have a mirror, I'm overweight. I need to lose 18 lbs to be normal. I set a goal to lose those pounds in 6 months. Of course you can change that goal if you think you need more time.
Old 05-22-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think by BMI standards, most everybody is overweight.
Old 05-22-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I don't know any store that will allow returns on open video games.. What would stop people from buying, playing till done, and returning?

I know they will do even exchange if there is a problem with the game but I don't think any stores refund money.
I didn't think so, but I wasn't sure if Target was more like Walmart in terms of allowing returns.

After reading Raul3's post, we'll probably open it and try it this weekend. Maybe the Nintendo 'shortage' scheme will continue and I'll be able to get most or all of my money back if I decide to sell it.
Old 05-22-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I think by BMI standards, most everybody is overweight.
BMI is a joke. BIA isn't the most reliable thing in the world, but it wouldn't have exactly broken Nintendos bank to put that in.

(BIA is the one where the scale sends a low electrical current in one foot and measures how long it takes to get to the other. Fatter = slower.)

Of course, you have to be bare foot for that, so kind of hard to demo in stores hah.
Old 05-22-08, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
BMI is a joke. BIA isn't the most reliable thing in the world, but it wouldn't have exactly broken Nintendos bank to put that in.

(BIA is the one where the scale sends a low electrical current in one foot and measures how long it takes to get to the other. Fatter = slower.)

Of course, you have to be bare foot for that, so kind of hard to demo in stores hah.
I'm fairly certain I wouldn't buy another game that shocks me. I almost died when I played against Klaus Maria Brandauer.
Old 05-22-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get the reference

(oh and yeah, you can't feel it)

Edit: oh wait.. Thunderball by any othername is still Thunderball.
Old 05-22-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
how does the wiifit hook to the wii? is it wireless or do you hook it to a wiimote?

Wireless.
Old 05-22-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm picking mine up tonight from GS, but don't know if I'll be able to break into it tonight.
Old 05-22-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2

I didn't actually read the manual, but do you guys use it with shoes on? (I mean for the ones that actually involve the board) I was doing everything barefoot...
Old 05-22-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, I don't actually own Wii Fit yet.

All the Walmarts sold out after midnight but before 7 AM. Had a lot of Wii Consoles though.

I have to give Nintendo credit on market penetration, I've never seen a situation where housewives and moms in a store just struck up a convo about videogames they intend to buy... for themselves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.