Reload this Page >

Your opinions on Metal Gear Solid 4

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-02-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I enjoyed MGS 2 quite a bit but I was wondering how MGS 4 is going to play out. I've gotten pretty addicted to the ultra-realism of games like Rainbow Six Vegas and Call of Duty 4 and from playing the 2nd game and watching trailers I don't think this game is one of those type games. I wanted opinions on how this game is gonna play. Is it more stealth oriented, more Gears of War like with duck & cover or balls-to-walls action? If you had to compare it to another game which one?
Old 04-02-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda looks like Gears of war style. I hope thats not the only location in the game. Hideo Kojima always seems to find a different and sometimes original way to utilize the gameplay.
Old 04-02-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
Kinda looks like Gears of war style. I hope thats not the only location in the game. Hideo Kojima always seems to find a different and sometimes original way to utilize the gameplay.
Nope, it's confirmed it takes place in five locations: Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America and two more yet to be named.

Personally, I can't stand the 'Beauty and the Beast Unit;' I groaned when I saw the gameplay footage/trailer. I'll give it a go, but I'm not nearly as hyped for this one as I was for 2 or 3.

I'm more hyped for Metal Gear Online which is getting its own, full flegged standalone release later on.
Old 04-02-08, 10:10 PM

If anything it plays loads like RE4 from the footage I've been seeing, only as a + you can go into FPS mode. Also - WHEN this comes out for 360 it will own, until then... not so much.
Old 04-02-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/863/863825p1.html
Old 04-02-08, 10:30 PM

I think it's heading the way that many games have over the past few years - open-endedness. I get the impression that in the war situations, you'll be able to choose to get involved with the fight (IIRC there are rewards of ammo and things from the soldiers you join if you do so) or you can circumvent the area and avoid confrontation. But knowing MGS, there'll be a highly linear story, so it'll be like most games that do the open-ended structure - several ways to play various parts of the game, but you don't truly affect the course of the game.

Other than the warzones, they haven't shown us much of the rest of the game, but what they have shown us indicates that it'll likely be predominantly stealth with the odd boss battle thrown in - business as usual. Which is a good thing, as that's what people (myself included) love about the Metal Gear Solid games and it's what they're very good at. The trailers so far have given us some interesting clues about the sorts of areas we'll have to sneak around: they seem to be regions of a broken city (including in partially-destroyed buildings) and I recall seeing a military base as well. The story looks as convoluted as ever, and I expect that keeping up will require more dedication than I've ever had to afford a videogame. We're getting more characters, more double crossing, more codenames, we've got FOXDIE, Zanzibar Land, Outer Haven, fuckin' Charlie Chan. And the other thing that the lengthy and complicated story will mean is that...

It'll also have a ton and a half of cutscenes. They were one of the main reasons I never finished MGS3 - I'm a huge fan of 1 and 2, played them through to completion several times and still go back to them occasionally, but I never finished MGS3. The cutscenes became unbelievably intrusive and long (not unlike the last hour or so of MGS2), and you still weren't given the option to pause them. In addition, I didn't find that the gameplay was much improved, if at all improved - hooray, you made nice organic scenery and a camera that's clever enough to avoid trees, but how about not making me change my camouflage every eight seconds and fix my own wounds in a really tedious and time-consuming way? Things that were meant to add to the realism... well, probably did, because it would probably be very boring to have to trawl through miles of jungle before you got anywhere interesting. I get that in a real life situation you'd never be dumped at the door to the place you need to infiltrate like you were in MGS1, but for god's sake, it's a videogame with giant mechas, super-speedy ninjas and god knows what else that makes no fucking sense. So get your act together.

These criticisms notwithstanding, I'm looking forward to MGS4 a LOT, even though Vamp and another unspecified ninja are going to appear, because I don't really like those characters. Of course, we've been promised shorter, more relevant cutscenes, and I think it's safe to file that in the Don't Believe A Word drawer, and the little robot looks like an annoying thing too.

However, the battlezones look absolutely incredible. Watching the gameplay trailer in particular (you may have seen it, it's about 25 minutes long and consists of a narrated playthrough of many of the game's new features), I got the impression of being caught up in a warzone even more so than in many dedicated war games. You really get the feeling that all around you is chaos and danger, and that surrounds you with an immense atmosphere. And that's just from the trailer. When a gameplay demo comes out I might poo a little.

I also like the Octocam camouflage system, which adapts to whatever surface you're against instantly. It looks useful, simple, unintrusive and fitting for the game's setting. The camouflage system in the last game was fundamentally an interesting and good idea, but it was executed very, very poorly indeed.

It also seems there'll be some squad-based gameplay, and there might be another playable character, so that should be interesting. I don't know how the team stuff worked on Portable Ops, or how well it worked, but I'm looking forward to it.

So overall, I can't wait for MGS4. I have my reservations but at the end of the day I waited patiently for 1 and 2 to finish because the played so incredibly well, and the stories were good. MGS3 was a sore point for me, and one day I will complete it (I've been assured on several occasions by friends that it gets better after a while), but for now I'm not touching it, and I'm cacking myself in excitement for the new game. It's going to sell a ridiculous number of many PS3s, too; in fact, it already has - a mate of mine sold his Xbox 360 and bought one last year JUST to buy MGS4, which didn't even have a release date until a couple of months ago. I know that once I buy my new 24" HDMI monitor (I've already got a sweet sound system, ooh yeah), I'm not going to have any friends for the, I don't know, four months I'll be locked away waiting for the intro cutscene to finish.
Old 04-02-08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Nope, it's confirmed it takes place in five locations: Middle East, Eastern Europe, South America and two more yet to be named.

Personally, I can't stand the 'Beauty and the Beast Unit;' I groaned when I saw the gameplay footage/trailer. I'll give it a go, but I'm not nearly as hyped for this one as I was for 2 or 3.
same here
Old 04-02-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Of course, we've been promised shorter, more relevant cutscenes, and I think it's safe to file that in the Don't Believe A Word drawer, and the little robot looks like an annoying thing too.
Theres a rumor that the intro will be 45 minutes long! I really cant see that happening. If it is true lets hope that kojima finally gives you the option to pause the freaking game!

Also dont believe when kojima says this is the last metal gear solid game. He said the same for the first mgs and also the second one too.
Old 04-02-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I drove to a pretty far Electronics Botique to pick up MGS a day earlier than the one near me would get it and enjoyed playing through it. I got MGS2 the day it came out and really didn't enjoy it much at all. I purchsaed MGS3 pretty cheap, but never got around to playing it. I'll probably pass on MGS4 :/.
Old 04-02-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll not buy this game & I refused to get PS3. So, far l like my 360, Wii, DS and PSP
Old 04-02-08, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
Theres a rumor that the intro will be 45 minutes long! I really cant see that happening.
I can see it. The ending cutscene of MGS2 was an hour long, although with a whole 5 minutes of interactivity to break it up. It was a half hour cutscene, followed by a 5 minute final boss fight, then ended with yet another half hour cutscene.

I like the MGS games overall, but those overly lengthy cutscenes are major suck. I don't know why Kojima can't edit them down to a more manageable size. A ton of the dialogue in the games is completely unnecessary and nothing but empty filler.

I didn't like the added "realism" of MGS3 either. The injury system was lame and tedious. Every time you get injured you have to open the menu and go through a boring process of fixing it up like some doctor minigame. Having to actually find and eat food was pretty stupid too. Having to eat in any video game has never been implemented well. I hope both of those things are not in MGS4.

MGS has never been about realism, so they shouldn't try and put that crap in there. I mean for crying out loud, one of the bosses in MGS2 was a freaking vampire that walked on water. Who cares about realism when you have stuff like that in there.

Last edited by taffer; 04-02-08 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-02-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll play it, but I'm not hyped for it.

I expect the controls in MGS4 to be closer to what we are accustomed to in other third persion action and stealth games (especially Splinter Cell), which is much needed IMO. I find the controls in MGS3 clunky and unintuitive.

I also expect much of the same in terms of story/narrative/characters. I'm not saying the story will be a copy, but the presentation and style will remain the same which is what I think the fans expect. The story and game will definitely be over the top in the usual Kojima style, I wouldn't expect a realistic story-line similar to Rainbow Six Vegas or COD4 that just wouldn't be Metal Gear.

Unfortunately the story and narrative in the MGS don't do that much for me. Kojima overdoes everything, and his fans love him for it, but to me I think his stories become too convoluted. I also think cutscenes are lazy game design, and the MGS games are the worst offenders. I've never liked the excessive cutscenes in the MGS games, they just don't immerse me in the game when I put down the control for 10-20 minutes at a time. Plus the cutscenes always show Snake or the other characters pulling off amazing moves, none of which are possible in the gameplay. The trailer they showed off with Vamp fighting Raiden did nothing for me, because I don't expect any of that action to actually be in the gameplay.
Old 04-03-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the MGS games overall, but those overly lengthy cutscenes are major suck. I don't know why Kojima can't edit them down to a more manageable size. A ton of the dialogue in the games is completely unnecessary and nothing but empty filler.
Because it's a well known fact that Kojima always wanted to be a movie director, but instead got into the videogame business. That's his whole "thing".
Old 04-03-08, 04:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Because it's a well known fact that Kojima always wanted to be a movie director, but instead got into the videogame business. That's his whole "thing".
But unlike other directors who may film much more than they need and then do the editing process later to cut out the unnecessary stuff, Kojima just throws in everything. It doesn't seem like he edits anything out. If the MGS games were movies, then there would be no deleted scenes, because nothing was deleted....
Old 04-03-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by musick

In case no one bothered to click on musick's link, an editor from IGN has played through the entire game already, and he says it is awesome.

Here is most of the final paragraph:

"As I said earlier, there's only so much I can go into right now, but this is the system seller that we've all known Metal Gear Solid 4 was going to be. This preview has only scratched the surface; we haven't even described some of the bosses, radical and innovative game mechanics, or other features that make this title a fitting conclusion to one of the best franchises in gaming."
Old 04-03-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It'll also have a ton and a half of cutscenes. They were one of the main reasons I never finished MGS3 - I'm a huge fan of 1 and 2, played them through to completion several times and still go back to them occasionally, but I never finished MGS3. The cutscenes became unbelievably intrusive and long (not unlike the last hour or so of MGS2), and you still weren't given the option to pause them.
MGS2 had way, way more cut-scenes that also ran longer than MGS3 did. To me MGS3 was more of a vidoegame to MGS2's movie. I thought MGS3 (Subsistence) was easily the best Metal Gear game made (so far).
Old 04-03-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are crazy; this looks incredible. I can't wait until June.

Originally Posted by RForte1189
Also - WHEN this comes out for 360 it will own, until then... not so much.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 04-03-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol, I'm sure when it comes to 360 they will put it on 20 CD-rs It will easily fit on 2 DL dvds I'm sure.
Old 04-03-08, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
MGS2 had way, way more cut-scenes that also ran longer than MGS3 did. To me MGS3 was more of a vidoegame to MGS2's movie. I thought MGS3 (Subsistence) was easily the best Metal Gear game made (so far).
I found it very hard to stick through the first couple of hours of MGS3 because of the cutscenes. I've had friends tell me that they ease up into the game but I never played that far through for a combination of reasons. I also found the story of MGS2 far more involving and interesting which helped.
Old 04-03-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I was hyped for MGS3 but it didn't live up to it -- by the time it came out, the gameplay felt extremely dated to me. I hope MGS4 fixes that and keeps it linear enough to keep it interesting (I know I know, but I actually like linear games).

Not really that hyped for it, but I'll likely grab it just the same.
Old 04-03-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found it very hard to stick through the first couple of hours of MGS3 because of the cutscenes. I've had friends tell me that they ease up into the game but I never played that far through for a combination of reasons. I also found the story of MGS2 far more involving and interesting which helped.
I'm having the same trouble with MGS3, I'm only a few hours in, but it seems like I have barely played the game. I keep meaning to push through it because of how highly regarded the game is.
Old 04-03-08, 07:44 PM
Banned

Potential to be the best game ever.
Old 04-03-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it will be a solid game.
Old 04-04-08, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
lol, I'm sure when it comes to 360 they will put it on 20 CD-rs It will easily fit on 2 DL dvds I'm sure.
I don't care if it goes on 5. It would be well worth it.
Old 04-04-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, June is pretty much around the corner so we'll see... I only played the original NES version of MG and the PSX version of MGS. As you can see, my user name is from MGS. I wonder who took Wolf, Raven, Mantis and Snake... I'm scouting the best deal for MGS4 now, so yeah, day one for me. I know the MGS story line is complicated like hell and especially you don't play the sequels or prequels. However, i think the lack of details in the MGS story line actually a positive thing to start MGS4. I don't know, maybe i just want to collect all of the "dirty" magazines in the game, lol.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.