Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Your opinions on Metal Gear Solid 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2 questions...

potential spoilers, so better safe than sorry

Spoiler:
Is there any way to sell items/weapons you dont want to Drebin, ala the merchant in RE4?

Also, in one of the earlier gameplay trailers, Snake was able to CQC a guy and put him in a chokehold, then take them down and roll over so the enemy is on their stomach and Snakc is ontop of them choking them out. I didnt see any instructions on how to do this in the booklet, but I did do it for a second on an enemy when I was on top of Drebin's truck in the escape scene....how can I do this?

Last edited by ValeTudoChokeOu; 06-17-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by ValeTudoChokeOu
I have 2 questions...

potential spoilers, so better safe than sorry

Spoiler:
Is there any way to sell items/weapons you dont want to Drebin, ala the merchant in RE4?

Also, in one of the earlier gameplay trailers, Snake was able to CQC a guy and put him in a chokehold, then take them down and roll over so the enemy is on their stomach and Snakc is ontop of them choking them out. I didnt see any instructions on how to do this in the booklet, but I did do it for a second on an enemy when I was on top of Drebin's truck in the escape scene....how can I do this?
Spoiler:
I think the duplicates are automatically sold, but other then that, no you can't.
Old 06-18-08, 01:53 PM

I didn't really give it much thought at first, but apparently Drebin's 20% off discount days (Wednesday and Sunday) are actually implemented in the game. This should save me about 7k on a scope that I have been eyeing.

I suppose you can manipulate the PS3's clock to make every day be a Wednesday or Sunday, but where's the fun in that?
Old 06-18-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrglass
I didn't really give it much thought at first, but apparently Drebin's 20% off discount days (Wednesday and Sunday) are actually implemented in the game. This should save me about 7k on a scope that I have been eyeing.
In times low on conflict (slow for business), his discounts get much bigger.
Old 06-19-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=147019

This guy got the Big Boss emblem, for those that don't know what it is it's explained in the link.
Old 06-19-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm digging this game. Didn't really like it at first, but I'm coming to grow to love it. I hated he first 2 MGS and never played 3, but heard this had more action.
Old 06-19-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Just finished Act 3. That whole act was full of amazing cut scenes. Definitely watched more than I played but it was worth it.

Spoiler:
The cqc fight between solid and liquid involving the shock blade was crazy!
Old 06-19-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...ts-psn-tonight

Free download available later today - the MGS4 Database. Contains information on all games in the MGS series. Apparently, it will black out MGS4 spoilers unless you have a save file where MGS4 is completed. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 06-19-08, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Who still buys game guides?
I actually really liked the MGS4 LE guide. Not only is it well structured, it's good for general reading after you beat the game. I even has a nice little summary of the whole story at the end of the guide and linear notes for the secrets in the game. Very well worth my money.
Old 06-19-08, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
I just finished watching the Act 2 mission brief. What the hell is up with Sunnys number counting? Shes done this in the first act mission briefing too. Is there an explanation later in the game?
Yes, there is. Keep playing!
Old 06-19-08, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
(there's even a pair of stations called HIDEO 1 and HIDEO 2
The HIDEO1 and HIDEO2 is supposed to be VIDEO1 and VIDEO2. Pretty funny IMO.
Old 06-19-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
I'm digging this game. Didn't really like it at first, but I'm coming to grow to love it. I hated he first 2 MGS and never played 3, but heard this had more action.

Part 3 was one of the best, you owe it to yourself to play it.
Old 06-20-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Ok, after playing quite a bit more and taking down a couple bosses, I'm pretty impressed with the gameplay. What I don't get is how forgiving everyone is of the cut scenes. I've always found MGS's plot to be laughable and its themes to be simplistic and heavy-handed. In small doses, it's entertaining, but that's about it. There are multiple times in the game so far where I feel like I watch 25 minutes of cut scenes, play for 2 minutes, watch another 10 minutes, play for 5 minutes and then watch 15 minutes. It's just too much. I'll probably keep watching them through the end, just out of morbid curiosity, but whenever I play through a second time, I will be skipping each and every one of them. I guess the whole 'interactive movie' thing would be a lot cooler to me if it was actually a movie I wanted to step into.
Old 06-20-08, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Ok, I've obviously be hearing nothing but great things about this game, and I'm a few weeks away from a PS3 purchase (hopefully) so this one is definitely on my list.

But I hate cutscenes in games. HATE them. I'd skip them in any game I could. I spend most of my time in GTA itching to get to the next mission and dread starting up another cutscene. I played MGS1 through to the end, but that was the last one I tried.

So I'd hate to miss out on "the greatest game of this generation" but at the same time, I know I hate cutscenes in games. Will I be disappointed in this?
Old 06-20-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Ok, I've obviously be hearing nothing but great things about this game, and I'm a few weeks away from a PS3 purchase (hopefully) so this one is definitely on my list.

But I hate cutscenes in games. HATE them. I'd skip them in any game I could. I spend most of my time in GTA itching to get to the next mission and dread starting up another cutscene. I played MGS1 through to the end, but that was the last one I tried.

So I'd hate to miss out on "the greatest game of this generation" but at the same time, I know I hate cutscenes in games. Will I be disappointed in this?
If you don't mind not knowing what's going on and just want to run around killing people, you ought to be ok. All the cut scenes are fully skippable. The downside is, the game is probably pretty short once you excise all the nonsensical meanderings about the war economy and all the ridiculous characters involved in its creation. I've probably played about 8 or 9 hours so far and the actual gameplay portions have been well under half of that.
Old 06-20-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
If you don't mind not knowing what's going on and just want to run around killing people, you ought to be ok. All the cut scenes are fully skippable. The downside is, the game is probably pretty short once you excise all the nonsensical meanderings about the war economy and all the ridiculous characters involved in its creation. I've probably played about 8 or 9 hours so far and the actual gameplay portions have been well under half of that.
That's what I'm afraid of. But if the gameplay is fun, I have no problems skipping the cutscenes. I wonder if anyone has figured out how long the game is if you skip everything you can...
Old 06-20-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what I'm afraid of. But if the gameplay is fun, I have no problems skipping the cutscenes. I wonder if anyone has figured out how long the game is if you skip everything you can...
If you really have no regrets about skipping the cutscenes, I still say go for it. The latter half the game gets shorter without cutscenes, but on the whole it's still worth it, especially if you're the kind of player who plays multiple times trying with different strategies or tactics. There are quite a few unlockables based on the stats you accumulate in a play session, so there is a good incentive to do a few runs with different styles (stealth and Rambo).
Old 06-20-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Discussion about the 2nd boss battle below:
Spoiler:
So after not knowing about the non-lethal takedown netting you a doll (and then face camo) for the first boss, I decided to try it against Raging Raven (I think that's her name). Stupid move. Even the 6-shot shotgun takes forever to knock any health off her... I keep losing her, you have to be super accurate to get hits in and those stupid drones keep regenerating as you kill them off. After getting killed three times I decided to be way more cautious and never let my health get below 25%. I'd just run and hide inside the top floor and wait for my health to come back. So after literally an hour and half of shooting and running I have her down to 10% health... and she's stationary for me to shoot at. As I'm reloading she fires her grenade launcher and bounces me off the tower to my death.

I was so incredibly pissed that I just Javelin and M60'd her to death in about 5 minutes. I did do the non-lethal kill on the 2nd part and even ran around long enough to get to the photo shoot part. You have to run for a good 5 minutes+ before it starts though.
Old 06-20-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
Spoiler:
So after not knowing about the non-lethal takedown netting you a doll (and then face camo) for the first boss, I decided to try it against Raging Raven (I think that's her name). Stupid move. Even the 6-shot shotgun takes forever to knock any health off her... I keep losing her, you have to be super accurate to get hits in and those stupid drones keep regenerating as you kill them off. After getting killed three times I decided to be way more cautious and never let my health get below 25%. I'd just run and hide inside the top floor and wait for my health to come back. So after literally an hour and half of shooting and running I have her down to 10% health... and she's stationary for me to shoot at. As I'm reloading she fires her grenade launcher and bounces me off the tower to my death.

I was so incredibly pissed that I just Javelin and M60'd her to death in about 5 minutes. I did do the non-lethal kill on the 2nd part and even ran around long enough to get to the photo shoot part. You have to run for a good 5 minutes+ before it starts though.
Spoiler:
I can't recall if I got the doll, but I got her facemask and grenade launcher just by using non-lethal means in the part where she walks around without her mask. What's the doll do anyway?
Old 06-20-08, 11:32 AM
Banned

Just a hunch here, because I haven't actually played MGS4 yet. I would guesstimate that it is 5-6 hours long if you skip all the cutscenes and codec conversations.

The reviews all say the game is 20 hours long, but I full suspect that is including all the cutscenes and codec conversations. The previous three MGS games have all been 20 hours give or take a few, but skipping the cutscenes/codec conversations, they were all easily beatable in 5-6 hours*. I would wager that MGS4 is much the same.

*One day in college, I was so bored I actually played through MGS1 twice in a single day.
Old 06-20-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The codec convo's are horrible. At least the cut scenes are somewhat engrossing. Is there a way to fast forward the codec convo's without going super fast? I keep skipping like 2 "pages" of text everytime I FF a codec.
Old 06-20-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Spoiler:

I ended up using the noob canon for that fight (aka the M60). Pretty hard for her to run when you have a 200 round clip...
Old 06-20-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
Spoiler:
I can't recall if I got the doll, but I got her facemask and grenade launcher just by using non-lethal means in the part where she walks around without her mask. What's the doll do anyway?
Spoiler:
I have no idea what the doll is for or does, but I wanted to get one anyway. I'll probably try it on the 3rd boss and hopefully it won't be such a pain in the ass there.
Old 06-20-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I have no idea what the doll is for or does, but I wanted to get one anyway. I'll probably try it on the 3rd boss and hopefully it won't be such a pain in the ass there.
Googled around and it looks like the dolls...

Spoiler:
unlock a special Solar Gun if you get all five of them. The gun uses an energy burst to knock soldiers out and causes them to drop 'choice items.'
Old 06-20-08, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
The codec convo's are horrible. At least the cut scenes are somewhat engrossing. Is there a way to fast forward the codec convo's without going super fast? I keep skipping like 2 "pages" of text everytime I FF a codec.
To make it a bit interesting, did you know that if you
Spoiler:
shake the sixaxis controller while talking to Rose her boobs will jiggle?
;p

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.