DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Help! Can't connect to Xbox Live (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/525913-help-cant-connect-xbox-live.html)

clckworang 02-23-08 02:35 PM

Help! Can't connect to Xbox Live

OK, I desperately tried to figure this out on my own and avoid opening a thread on here, but it seems that I have been unable to solve the problem. I never had this much of a problem before!

The way I have things hooked up is that I am sharing the Internet connection with my computer. So, my computer has a wireless connection and then I have an Ethernet cable hooked up from the Xbox directly to my computer.

I DO have Internet sharing and DHCP enabled on the wireless connection.

But now whenever I've tried to connect to Live it fails the IP test.

I recently had some wireless problems so I had to build a new wireless network, but I don't see why I would have all these problems now. Needless to say, though, I just can't get the damn thing to work! Maybe it's a router setting that's changed ... I don't know. I'm stumped.

Any ideas? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Liver&Onions 02-23-08 02:46 PM

hook it up to your router instead of the computer.

clckworang 02-23-08 02:52 PM

Well, the router is on the opposite side of the house and I don't really want to buy a 50-foot Ethernet cable that would stretch across my home.

My computer is hooked up to the TV, the same TV used to play my 360, so it makes more sense to just piggy-back on my computer's connection. Well, it usually does anyway.

JasonF 02-23-08 02:58 PM

I was having a similar problem the other day. Rebooting my computer, router, and modem did the trick -- have you tried that?

clckworang 02-23-08 03:59 PM

Yep, I've tried that and it still won't recognize the IP.

JM 02-23-08 07:08 PM

What is the IP address of your router? ICS uses the address 192.168.0.1. If your router uses the same address, this may cause problems like you describe. Also, you *may* need to use a crossover ethernet cable between the Xbox and PC. You don't say whether you have an Xbox 360 or original Xbox. I assume the former. If the latter, you definitely need a crossover cable. I have seen reports that the 360's NIC is autosensing such that you don't need a crossover cable, but I can't verify this. Might be worth a shot.

clckworang 02-23-08 07:21 PM

My router address is different that the IP you listed.

Yep, I have a 360.

I don't think the cable is the problem because I have used that cable with success in the past. That's why I don't understand why I'm having so many problems connecting now.

clckworang 02-23-08 07:52 PM

UPDATE: I don't know exactly what I did. I toyed with a few things desperately trying to get something to work. Then I reset everything to how it was before and it just started working. I'm officially connected now .. and how frustrating it was!

Thanks to those who tried to help.

clckworang 02-23-08 07:56 PM

Would it be possible for me to delete this thread myself or would a mod need to it? Unless anyone has any similar problems, we might as well keep the boards clean.

Trevor 02-24-08 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Would it be possible for me to delete this thread myself or would a mod need to it? Unless anyone has any similar problems, we might as well keep the boards clean.

I'm defeating my point here by bumping it, but we generally don't delete "finished" threads here. It will disappear off page one within a day or so, and eventually be lost to the archives.

And besides, I wouldn't be surprised if people have similar problems and search for or see this thread and get some ideas for help.

Trevor "never delete anything" Williams