Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in for this game.
Old 05-12-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG! I just watched the gameplay video and that looks awesome. I just can't wait!
Old 05-14-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will be getting the collector's edition, along with the collector's guide, so i'm looking at $100+ for this game. Well, considering i only paid $18 for the first game, i think it's all good. I guess it's good to own an X360 after all
Old 05-14-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I finally watched the video. So we can use captured Locusts for cover now? Did i see that right?
Old 05-14-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I finally watched the video. So we can use captured Locusts for cover now? Did i see that right?
Probably just with the handgun. Since you need one hand to hold them and one to fire.
Old 05-14-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yep....

I can see this being a bitch in the MP games along with players using their "Turbo" controllers for Chainsaw dueling.

Hopefully, there's away to evade enemy capture.
Old 05-15-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what's a "turbo" controller?
Old 05-15-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
Old 05-15-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3

kids these days
Old 05-15-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 05-15-08, 07:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've got my copy on preorder. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-25-08, 09:02 AM

Some multiplayer details:

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12955
http://xboxfocus.com/news/352-fresh-...ils/index.html

* Gears of War 2 will feature matchmaking.

* Player count has been boosted from 4-on-4 to 5-on-5

* Assassination gametype has received an overhaul. Now named 'Guardian', the mode works similarly to Team Leader from Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Matches don't immediately end when a team leader is killed, but the team without a leader loses the ability to respawn, and the match ends when a whole team is taken out.

* New mode called 'wingman' works similarly to 'multiteam' mode in Halo 3. 10 players are broken down into 5 teams of 2, each of which uses the same character models for identification purposes (Marcus and Marcus on one team, Dom and Dom on the other).

* New gametype called 'meatflag' is Epic's personal twist on capture the flag. Instead of flags, the objective will be another player located toward the center of the map. The 'meatflag' has weapons to defend himself and can score kills towards his point total on the leaderboard. In order to win, teams need to knock down the meatflag and drag him back their spawn as a human shield. If the meatflag is shot enough times while being dragged, the person dragging them will lose their grip and the meatflag will have a temporary burst of power to take out on everyone in the vicinity.

* New map called 'River' is a fairly basic symmetrical map where each team spawns on a thin strip of land on either side of a wide river. There are buildings on either side of the river as well that provide cover and sniping perches.

* New map called 'Security' is a long, slender map with plenty of cover and obstructions between the spawn points at either end. There are stairs on either side that lead to terraces that run the entire length of the map. Key areas and fast routes through the map are blocked off by trip-lasers and sentry guns that kill players if they cross. There is a button in the center of the map that turns them off. Teams have to coordinate their assaults on the button with their maneuvers through the map in order to ensure control of the power weapons and choke points.

* Gridlock is back, but it looks different. The city it takes place in has been long abandoned and the war has moved on. Nature has started taking back the city, so the buildings and wreckage is covered in overgrowth. Despite this aesthetic change, the layout remains unchanged, right down to the specific placement of the cars piled in the middle of the map.

* In gametypes with no respawn, players waiting in the lobby for the round to end can fly through the map in spectator mode. They can also take pictures of the action that can be shared with the community. No confirmation of a Bungie.net style website, however.

* The 'scorcher' is a flame-thrower that boasts what the author claims to be the most realistic fire effects he's ever seen. This could possibly be the weapon seen on the cover of the magazine (see image at top of article).

* Grenades have been updated. The smoke grenade now explodes instead of gradually releasing, and the concussion of the explosion is large enough to stun players in proximity, giving it new tactical potential besides moveable cover. Frag grenades can now be planted anywhere, including walls, floors and ceilings. A new gas grenade unloads toxic fumes that knocks out and eventually kills players that stay in the cloud for too long.

* The bullet shield is a new item that can be found on some maps. Its not a weapon per say, but it takes the place of one in the d-pad weapon cue. The shield is a large piece of steel that can be carried around at very slow walking speed, or slammed into the ground to create a new piece of cover in a strategic position. Enemies can kick down the shield if they are allowed to get close enough however.

* Players can now choose whether they start each round with the Lancer or the Hammerburst. The Hammerburst has been retooled, and now operates along the lines of the pistol from Halo: CE or the Carbine from Halo 3, shooting single shots as fast as the player hits the trigger. The faster the player hits the trigger, the more recoil the weapon will suffer.

* New 'stopping power' mechanic causes players to slow down when being hit by direct, oncoming bullet-fire.

==================================================

5-on-5? I was hoping for more, since the group I play with has way more than 10 people and it sucks when the room is already full and someone can't get in. Oh well.
Old 05-25-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"meatflag" I love it.
Old 05-27-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
So wait, there's respawning now in GOW mulitplayer?

The grenade stuff sounds fun.
Old 05-27-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meatflag Awesome
Old 05-27-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This game sounds badass. I started playing the original and it's just awesome. I'll probably play it even more in October as the sequel starts to drop.
Old 05-27-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
So can we expect a price drop on the first Gears of War when the sequel come out? I very much want to play this badly but I can't afford to spend sixty bucks on it right now.
Old 05-28-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
So can we expect a price drop on the first Gears of War when the sequel come out? I very much want to play this badly but I can't afford to spend sixty bucks on it right now.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...ws.php?id=1111

Looks like 6/24 gets an updated GoW with bonus maps, GoW2 preview disc, and a lower price of $40.
Old 05-28-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool!! can't wait to pick this one up. Thank for the link pinata242.
Old 05-28-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game is the cover story on the EGM I received in the mail today.

July 2008

I received Cover 2 of 2: Locust
Old 05-29-08, 11:43 AM

For me it is going to be down to either Soul Calibur 4 or Gears 2 as my own personal game of the year. I can't wait!
Old 06-01-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see that Circuit City have Gears of War price at $40. I'm tempted to pick it up but I'm going to wait and get the updated version when it come out on 6/24.
Old 06-19-08, 12:27 PM

I am shocked no one has posted this yet. I didn't bother bolding the questions asked, so if you get confused or whatever, just click the link and read the article. Looks good though, that's for sure.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbo...s/193148.shtml

Gears of War 2 lead developer Cliff Bleszinksi describes the benefits of the Unreal Engine 3, destructible environments, multiplayer chainsaw duels, and explains why you won't be able to customize your guns in Gears of War 2.

Cliff Bleszinski has spent the past 10 years in the Raleigh-Durham area, which has become something of a hotbed of game development with the recent studio announcement by Insomniac Games and established developers like Epic Games, Red Storm Entertainment, Virtual Heroes, Funcom Studios, Icarus Studios and Vicious Cycle Software. Bleszinski has grown as the surrounding area has blossomed and Epic Games has become a major two-pronged force in the game industry with its Unreal Engine 3 technology and its original franchises like Unreal Tournament and Gears of War.

Bleszinski, who's now 33, currently serves as the lead games designer at Epic. The first Gears game bought him critical accolades, record global sales, and a brand new Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. With Gears 2 shipping this November, Bleszinski took some time to discuss his latest creation with GamePro in this exclusive interview.

Epic has made a lot of buzz about their new Unreal Engine 3 tech, but how will this make the world of Gears of War 2 come alive? We've heard of better lighting, better water effects, and "soft body processing." It alls sounds fancy, but how will it improve Gears 2 from a gamer's perspective?

I think you can directly look at every single tech video we've released and you can extrapolate a lot of how that's going to be used in the world. When you see hundreds of Locusts pouring out into the street and you're unloading a certain unannounced weapon into them, you're going to be a happy camper. Just the other day I was driving in this icy level with a tank and power-sliding through Locusts and Gus goes, "Locust roadkill, baby. Squish. Squish. Squash. Squash." It was just freakin' great. And then when you shoot you're knocking over trees because we have more destroyable objects and you shoot your Boomshot and everything shatters apart. Gears was heavy and Gears was chunky and Gears felt satisfying. And Gears 2 is just really taking that to the next level. It's just cooler and more visceral.

Will the new tech allow for destructible environments? If so, how might this impact gameplay?

That's what the fractuables allow. You really feel like you're chipping away at stuff and really interacting with the world. In a game like this, not only does Marcus slam into the wall, but shooting is your base form of interaction. When you're targeting a guy and he goes back behind cover and you have another unannounced weapon which is doing serious damage...We have this whole chart of things we've announced and things we haven't...I always have to cross-reference it in my head. Let's just say we leverage as much as we can whore the feature.

Will there be any character customizations or weapon customizations in Gears of War 2? If not, why so?

We're not really that kind of game. We're not going to allow you to bling out your gun. The Lancer's a Lancer, Gus is Gus, and Marcus is Marcus. Those are the identities we're sticking with.

There was one vehicle scenario in the first game. Are more vehicles something that would enhance Gears 2?

Absolutely. We've already announced the Centaur. And there are other levels that are unique in a similar vane to that. There are some really nice surprises that haven't been announced.

Will online co-operative play be limited to two players, ala Gears of War 1? Is there any chance for three or four-player co-operative play?

We haven't announced our co-op plans yet.

Will that be at E3?

Probably.

Is Epic streamlining or refining the controls in Gears of War 2?

Eight billion tasks have been cycled on for improving the cover system. You can interrupt the swat turn and go right into a roady run so you're not stuck swat turning. The angle of cover entry for roady run has been tweaked so you don't necessarily get cuked into cover as often when you roady run. Mantling's a little more crisp. Just evading into cover is more crisp. Every single last action has been tweaked. The angle at which you cover slip when you move forward has been tweaked. Every single bit of the cover system has been massaged this time. I went back and played Gears 1 and I still think it's a great cover system, but what I missed was tremendous and I'm so happy with a lot of the results that have come out of the tweaking for Gears 2.

There were some complaints of players getting "stuck" to walls when trying to hide behind scenery. How will you refine that?

I felt like the Gears cover system worked like 85 percent of the time and we want to get as close to 100 percent as we can. We also offer an alternate control scheme, which is pretty similar to Uncharted, where we decouple the cover and the evade button so players can have those on separate buttons if they want.

So you played Uncharted and thought their cover style was a good idea?

Well, we thought some players would want it. Personally, I can't stand it. I like our system, but it's okay to have that option. I don't like my Y-axis inverted but some people do, so we want to make everybody happy.

What feedback did you receive from the multiplayer modes in Gears 1?

People loved it but they didn't like the host advantage. They got tired of the shotgun inconsistencies. We're fixing all of that. They didn't like the randomness of the chainsaw, so we put the chainsaw duel in -- may the best man win! A lot of players wanted respawning, but we added in some modes for downloadable content on Gears 1 that added respawning, but even then it was a 15-second cue. So we have game modes now, like Guardian, where players cycle in and out a lot more often. And Wingman, which is kind of like our version of Last Man Standing Free-for-All, where you have five teams of two each. So it's you and a buddy versus the world, which feels really good. We've added a lot more depth to the multiplayer.

It sounds like there will still be 4 on 4 matches, but will there be new game modes or other multiplayer features?

We're doing 5-on-5 and with all of the other modes if you fill it up you have 10 players. Once you have the matchmaking in there it's really nice.

What does this do to multiplayer?

You know, it doesn't change the game too much, to be honest. It makes it a little bit more exciting, but it allows for two more friends to come in and kick ass with everybody. The great thing about playing Wingman, for instance, is that when I normally play the game and I'm on one team I only have five possible guys I can kill and four buddies that can help me. When I play Wingman I've got one buddy and there are eight possible guys I can kill. You can get a lot more kills and it's a lot more gratifying. At the same time, you can flank a lot easier.

It seems like close-quarters combat has seen an overhaul, based on the GDC teaser video. Will close-quarters chainsaw battles see any changes?

To be honest, it's just a really intense moment because you don't always expect it to happen. What happens is when you come at somebody with a chainsaw and they're just holding the chainsaw, it will automatically engage in the duel. The guy doesn't have to press B to engage in the duel initially. And then of course he needs to press the B button to win. We've tightened it up a bit since it was last demonstrated. It's a little bit faster now. In multiplayer, the length within maybe 200 milliseconds or so is basically the same as if you were to chainsaw and win somebody. The time that you spend dueling, once a guy wins he slices through the other guy really quickly. That's by design so that you're not a sitting duck for five seconds, since you're no longer in God mode when you're chainsawing, which is important to keep in mind. In keeping with all of that, it's a nice way to solve the whole random thing with the chainsaw when players go at each other. It's a cool cinematic moment to see the chainsaw teeth grinding on each other with the sparks and the sounds and everything.

Based on what you've announced so far, what are you most excited about players experiencing with Gears 2?

I want them to see how it ends. I want them to spend more time with the guys in Delta squad, Carmine and everybody, too. I want them to get to know these guys better and I want them to enjoy the cool places we take them in this game. I want them to enjoy the roller coaster of the campaign mode and then take a friend in and play with a friend. That's the great thing about co-op.

What are you playing now?

I've been playing Boom Blox and that is really f*cking fun. My girlfriend and I are knocking down each other's towers or we'll play the little puzzle mode where you have to knock it down in one shot. That game is really freakin cool. I beat Condemned 2, which I really enjoyed.

You were telling me about that game at E3 last year.

It's such a dark game but I get a kick out of it. I like that genre. Once you get too dark it limits your sales.

Like Manhunt.

Exactly. It goes from being war to snuff. That's the thing, Gears is not snuff. Gears is definitely war. I thoroughly enjoyed Condemned. I love the idea of an alcoholic bum protagonist. That's cool.
Old 06-19-08, 12:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Have they said anything about the length of the campaign? The first game's campaign was woefully short.
Old 06-19-08, 12:32 PM

Thus far they are pretty much tightlipped on just about everything. I am suspecting we are going to get 4 player co-op with a much longer main game. All their little hints almost add up to the big picture, but we'll see I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.