Old 03-03-08, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pickin' it up in the morning.
Old 03-04-08, 05:07 PM

ne word ont he wii controls yet?
Old 03-04-08, 06:06 PM

IGN gave it a 7.2, G Informer gave it an 8.

A lot of people over at OS say it's really a solid, good game, and the pitching controls are very innovative and a strong point, but some frame rate issues bring it down a tad.

I wasn't able to get it this morn, but am later after OHIO and TEXAS madness.
Old 03-05-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DullandWitless
A lot of people over at OS say it's really a solid, good game, and the pitching controls are very innovative and a strong point, but some frame rate issues bring it down a tad.
I have been reading the same. A lot of problems with FPS, with some saying not really that bad and some saying unbearable. Actually this should not have been an issue at all.

However it seems many love the new pitching, hitting and fielding which is a shame of what could have been. Graphics? I don't care that much I just want decent gameplay.

I can't touch it till this weekend as a friends son has it now. Not sure when I can see The Show. I may have to just jump down to BB and see if it is on display but they have a few issues as well.

I'll still give it another few weeks before I pick one up as I don't get into baseball till opening day.
Old 03-05-08, 08:41 PM

So, I have played it all day (well, since I got off work at 1) and I love it.

FPS isn't that bad, really. Maybe it doesn't bother me as much as other people, but IMO, it is overblown. Online play is a tad laggy right now, but I have got 4 games in, and it was a lot of fun. 3-1, btw.

I am in the process of editing rosters for my franchise. OS has a list of all the minor leaguers. It'll take a while, but worth it.

I like the new pitching, but it takes a lot of time to get use to. I haven't quite mastered it yet, and in fact, have switched to classic pitching and hitting. I believe the game is very good either way.

I am having a blast... if there are any DVDTer's out there who would like a good online partner, add me: MildewOnRice ...

Hope some of you give it a try... it's a real solid fun game.
Old 03-05-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I am picking this up tomorrow. I know the Show is probably the better game, but I haven't had a good baseball game for the 360 since, well never.
Old 03-06-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell65
ne word ont he wii controls yet?
From what I've gathered it's a lot like the Bigs. Pitching, hitting and fielding are controlled with the wiimote. Also, in order to build up speed while running you need to shake the wiimote and nunchuck at the same time.

I didn't like The Bigs for all the crap I had to do with the Wiimote to play. Some games are just better with traditional controls. I'll give this a rent, maybe I'll end up liking the controls after all.

Unfortunately, I don't have the spare cash to get a PS3. If I did I would be all over getting The Show. So I'm trying to decide if I want to A) hold out for a while until I can get a PS3. B) Get The Show for PS2 for now or C) Get 2K8 for the Wii.
Old 03-06-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan on getting the Bigs for the 360, as long as there's a new one. The demo for this game makes me think it's worse than last years. I like the idea of the card collecting, but I have MLB Power Pros for that.
Old 03-07-08, 01:11 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I tried the demo on the XBOX 360 today and hated it. I don't like the new pitching controls that they've implemented and it looks like a hi-res PS2 game. For fuck sakes, MLB 2K6 looked better than 2K8 does and the Bigs blows it away (not that graphics make a game good or anything.) I surprised myself by hating the demo.

I picked up MLB '08: The Show, earlier this week, so all is good. It's the better series by FAR.
Old 03-07-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked it up because I thought I'd like it, and I don't. I couldn't even finish a full game. The new controls are really bad. I liked alot of the franchise mode options and the uniforms and cards but I can't justify keeping this. Anyone wanna take it off my hands before I am forced to take it to Gamestop and get less then half of what I paid?
Old 03-07-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the 360 demo and they screwed this game up along with NHL 2K8. I HATE the new control scheme (I'm sure it can be changed....I hope it can), but they are making it like a fighting game. Push down, rotate 45 degrees, put your finger in your ass and release. Horrible. I am SO glad I have a PS3 (at least for one game and aBlu-Ray player). Picking up the SHOW today....yeah!
Old 03-07-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn't make any sense to me either. MVP Baseball 2005 still has among the best control schemes in any baseball game. Why do I need to use both sticks when I'm swinging? Why do I have to do Mortal Kombat moves when I'm pitching? I had to literally read the pitching tutorial about 5 times to understand how to pitch correctly. Completely unintuitive.
Old 03-07-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just played the demo and i really liked it. not perfect but was way better than i was expecting. i guess i just got all the reviews and other peoples comments in my head. anyone who has played the actual game and demo can you tell me if the demo stays true to the actual game?
Old 03-07-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Push down, rotate 45 degrees, put your finger in your ass and release
Old 03-07-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought it today, playing it, and so far I'm not crazy about it. The controls will take getting used to, but the choppiness of framerate problem is really too much. So even as I get into the other aspects of the game, I'm afraid those graphical issues are going to always be a distraction.
Old 03-07-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is going to Gamestop, gonna get the Show.
Old 03-08-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Downloaded the demo and it took me about an inning to figure out how to swing the bat. That's just too messed up. Is it so hard to press one button and have the player on screen swing the bat? I've been doing it like that since the Commodore 64 days.
Old 03-10-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is it so hard to press one button and have the player on screen swing the bat? I've been doing it like that since the Commodore 64 days.
You can switch to classic hitting and pitching.

Played this weekend on a friends 360. The new controls were a pain at first but after I got used to it ... I got to tell you, it was a blast. First time I actually enjoyed pitching instead of . push button . aim.

Graphics - not wow! - but not bad either. However I only care about gameplay for sports anyway. I did find some slider adjustments etc before I played Sat to bring over.

Framerate problem I heard about is overblown. Never did I feel like it was a major problem at all. But maybe I have bad eyes too or used to lag playing PC games on the internet.

In the end I do not see how this is a terrible game at all. Had a lot of fun playing once I was used to the new mechanics.

Can't say about online play as his is not hooked up.

Not sure yet when I can check out The Show. I feel it will be about 2 weeks before that will happen. Good thing I am not in any rush. But I have heard great things about that game as well - minus stat bugs. I am just afraid that I may become bored going back to the simple push and play. Time will tell.