Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

is the new guitar hero video game awesome?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-17-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen it before and it looks fun as hell...tried the demo at a best buy and it was fun even though i sucked. i dont own any video game consoles and havent played video games regularly in at least 10 years. not that i hate them or am anti-video game...just stopped having time and the interested faded over time (as a kid i was addicted to them).

anyways, im interested in getting guitar hero...looks like a fun game to play once and awhile...a few questions first...

a) is it as fun as it seems? thoughts on the game itself?

b) how much will it cost to get it going (remember, i have no consoles to begin with so i need that as well)...is it an xbox game? ps3?

c) is it worth it if i dont buy/play any other games?

thanks.
Old 02-17-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You should check out either of the two GH3 threads with several hundred posts for as much information as anyone could possibly ever want about GH.
Old 02-17-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts
If only there were a thread already about this game.....

It's awesome. Plain and simple. Really fun and unlike any other type of game. GH III is available for the PS3, 360, Wii, PS2 and even the PC. So if you have a PC, that might be the easiest option for you. The game with a guitar peripheral is $90-100. (It's $10 off all platforms at CC either this week or at least until tomorrow. Well worth it, but I certainly wouldn't buy a $400 console just to be able to play one game...
Old 02-17-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I think GH3 is actually the least fun to play, compared to I/II/80's. Rock Band is the way to go, even if you're just playing guitar. At least you get DLC with RB every week.
Old 02-18-08, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I think GH3 is actually the least fun to play, compared to I/II/80's. Rock Band is the way to go, even if you're just playing guitar. At least you get DLC with RB every week.
On the flipside I think it is more fun than any of those. First having master tracks instead of covers is a huge deal so that trumps I, II & 80s right there. Second, Rock Band is fun, but there is little challenge if you are just getting it for guitar. There's no way I would recommend it over GHIII just for a "guitar" game.

The cheapest route to jump in would be getting a PS2 followed by Wii, 360 then PS3.
Old 02-18-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Second, Rock Band is fun, but there is little challenge if you are just getting it for guitar. There's no way I would recommend it over GHIII just for a "guitar" game.
You always say this, and yet I see you don't have the achievement for beating it on Expert. There is most assuredly a challenge on songs played at the Expert level. I would be in total agreement if you or I could totally breeze through everything on Expert, but there's stuff that still gives me a challenge, as I have yet to beat Ride the Lightning on guitar.
Old 02-18-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, it's not fun at all. We play it only as a chore.
Old 02-18-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shagrath
You always say this, and yet I see you don't have the achievement for beating it on Expert. There is most assuredly a challenge on songs played at the Expert level. I would be in total agreement if you or I could totally breeze through everything on Expert, but there's stuff that still gives me a challenge, as I have yet to beat Ride the Lightning on guitar.
I can't deny that. I beat it on hard, moved on to drums and have done some vocals. For guitar I moved back to GHIII because the songs were just more fun to play, IMO.

Ever since Rock Band came out there's been this overwhelming attitude around here that GHIII is shit and can't co-exist. I just wanted to give GHIII a fair shake since I knew people would be coming in here touting RB.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-18-08 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like GHIII better than RB from a guitar perspective as well. The HO's and PO's are more forgiving in GHIII. Master tracks FTW. And, the guitar itself is much better plus its wireless.
Old 02-18-08, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
No, it's not fun at all. We play it only as a chore.
Admittedly, sometimes it does feel like a chore when you're trying to master some difficult solo so you can pass a song.
Old 02-18-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Admittedly, sometimes it does feel like a chore when you're trying to master some difficult solo so you can pass a song.
Or get past the fast runs of Raining Blood in expert. I've resigned myself to the fact it's impossible.
Old 02-18-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I love Guitar Hero 1 & 2, hate 3. I love Rock Band.

My quick answer is that the games are a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 02-18-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rock Band is totally worth the extra money. I heard its on sale this week at Target ....or maybe that was last week :-\

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 02-18-08 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 11:04 AM

Guitar Hero is $10 dollars off at Circuit City this week with an additional 10% code they give you at checkout. This applies to all versions and free shipping as well, picked up PS3 version for $87 after taxes.

Rock Band is on sale at Target this week for $149.

I'm also with ytrex, Guitar Hero 3 is the worst of the Guitar Heroes. The song selection is excellent but the musical accuracy is garbage. Let me explain. With Guitar Hero 1 and 2 Harmonix had note layouts that make sense from a musical standpoint, in other words the solos and chords felt natural. Neversoft on the other hand, put in crap notes and chords in Guitar Hero 3 just to make it difficult. Adding notes and chords just for the sake of adding them and as a result sometimes it doesn't feel like you're playing the song on the guitar... it just feels like you're pressing buttons.

I know, I know its just a game... however Harmonix are the musicians and you can tell right away with the differences between the two developers.

In summation, don't waste your money as Guitar Hero and Rock Band suck donkey dongs.

Last edited by WepaMan; 02-18-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
I like GHIII better than RB from a guitar perspective as well. The HO's and PO's are more forgiving in GHIII. Master tracks FTW. And, the guitar itself is much better plus its wireless.
Same here. The forgiving HO/POs make impossible solos do-able. IMO visually I like the layout of the notes being circles way better than the bars. It's easier to tell HOPO's in GH to me at least than a bar that's a little bit smaller.

And I don't know if anyone's ever played Klax, but I feel like I'm playing Klax when I play Rock Band.

Also in Rock Band, when you miss a note, it's not as obvious as it is in GH. That's important when you're in the middle of a solo because you need to re-strum to get the combo going again right away.

OTOH, Rock Band is the game that comes out when people are over, that's for sure.

And to answer the original question, yes GH3 is all kinds of awesome, no matter what skill level you're at. It's worth the money to get a PS2 and rock out with it.

Last edited by rabbit77; 02-18-08 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by WepaMan
Rock Band is on sale at Target this week for $149.
If you have a sams club membership, Rock Band is $149 there as well.
Old 02-18-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
I can't stand the HO/PO in GH3, it's just entirely too easy. Also not a fan of the note charts, they're more realistic but not more fun to play.

That said, GH2 and Rock Band are my favorites.
Old 02-18-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I like GH2 a lot better than GH3. The note charts in GH3 are pretty bad.
Old 02-18-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rock Band 3 is the worst of the Guitar Heroes.
Old 02-18-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I like GH2 a lot better than GH3. The note charts in GH3 are pretty bad.
Neversoft on the other hand, put in crap notes and chords in Guitar Hero 3 just to make it difficult.
Originally Posted by RichC2
I can't stand the HO/PO in GH3, it's just entirely too easy. Also not a fan of the note charts, they're more realistic but not more fun to play.
I've seen this before in the other threads but never brought it up. Which is it people? Are the note charts accurate or not? I've seen posts indicating both ways in the various threads. Obviously everyone can't be correct.

In the end it all comes down to "is it fun." I don't know anything about original note charts, but it's one of those things people pull from the well when trashing Neversoft and GHIII that I usually ignore since I have fun regardless.

Just curious.
Old 02-18-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
The thing is, it seems like they pulled the charts directly from the songs, which on one hand is a good idea... On the other hand, it's still a game being played on a toy guitar with 5 buttons, it doesn't transition well and you wind up losing the illusion you're playing anything at all.

It's decent enough on Hard though nothing special, on Expert though it just winds up feeling way, way off.
Old 02-18-08, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by eatntae
Corrected the typo, I hope you didn't hurt yourself trying to figure out what I meant.
Old 02-18-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
GH:3 has some of the best songs from any series, including Rock You Like A Hurricane, which is one of my all time faves. The game just isn't fun to play (for me) even though I LOVE alot of the songs on there. In comparison, GH:2 had a ton of songs that I never liked (or heard before), but the game was so much freakin' fun it consumed my entire summer last year (sorry kids). There's just something about GH3 that isn't...fun.

Spending an extra $50-60 on Rock Band seems like a no brainer to me. If you get sick of playing guitar, guess what, there are two more complete games awaiting you (vocals & drums). RB is also unmatched when you have friends over to play...great times. I have an absolute blast playing with my wife (no musical talent), and my 5 & 7 year old sons. The game is exactly what GH3 doesn't bring...fun.

Both of my sons played the living shit out of GH2 (my 7 year old plays on hard), but combined between my two boys, GH3 has been played for about 2 hours, and I bought it on release day.
Old 02-18-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
And on the other end of the spectrum you've got a dude like me, who spent 2 hours on just "Start Soloing!" in Cult of Personality last night.

The CoP solo is the most freaking fun thing to play in any game I've ever played.

Last edited by rabbit77; 02-18-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Corrected the typo, I hope you didn't hurt yourself trying to figure out what I meant.
You would have been better off writing :

If it weren't for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college.
They both cause the same reaction...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.