Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Opinion about a ebay purchase I made.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion about a ebay purchase I made.

Two week ago I purchased WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008 on ebay. The game arrived in a plain envelope with the game disc wrapped in a paper towel. On the disc there was a crack in the center of the disc. I was pissed that the seller would send the disc this way and second in the auction he never stated no game case or instruction included. I can get past no game case/instructions, but I can't get pass the fact he sent the game in a plain envelope wrapped in a paper towel(one ply at that)

I finally got a response from him. He stated that in the auction he stated that "what you see is what you get" at this point I knew this guy was a jackass. I ask him why didn't he send the game in a disc mailer? His response was I sented other like that. At that point I told him I can send the game back and that I wanted my money back.

I'm would like to know what you guys think?
Old 01-31-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Apollo
Two week ago I purchased WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008 on ebay. The game arrived in a plain envelope with the game disc wrapped in a paper towel. On the disc there was a crack in the center of the disc. I was pissed that the seller would send the disc this way and second in the auction he never stated no game case or instruction included. I can get past no game case/instructions, but I can't get pass the fact he sent the game in a plain envelope wrapped in a paper towel(one ply at that)

I finally got a response from him. He stated that in the auction he stated that "what you see is what you get" at this point I knew this guy was a jackass. I ask him why didn't he send the game in a disc mailer? His response was I sented other like that. At that point I told him I can send the game back and that I wanted my money back.

I'm would like to know what you guys think?
How much was shipping...and more importantly, what did his recent feedback look like?
Old 01-31-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shipping cost is irrelevant IMO..

If he doesn't agree to give you a refund I would 100% give him a negative not caring about the rebuttal negative you'll surely receive..

What freaking tard sends something like that in a PLAIN envelope.. What an idiot..

*EDIT - What's the auction link?
Old 01-31-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Definite douchebag. Wait until the new & improved!* ebay rules go into effect so you can't get negged back, then drop him a big fat negative across the board.

*YMMV
Old 01-31-08, 03:21 PM

You can report him to Ebay.. in possible violation, if in fact there was more pictured than what you received. Also carefully check over the details of the auction listing. Express how it was delivered and make a claim against him. The image provided may have been suitable enough to see what was being sent, but were his details clear enough to express the true condition of the disk? cracked center? scratches? etc...

I'd say you have a decent claim.

Wait on the feedback...
Old 01-31-08, 05:15 PM

Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Tell me what you think.

Shipping was $4.00, since we live in the same state. The amount USPS charge for shipping was $2.25. Guess the rest was profit for this jerk.

Again I would have been less upset if he would have shipped the game disk in a more secure manner (i.e. Disk mailing envelop)

P.S.

I was the 2nd chance winner at $31.01.
Old 01-31-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He specifically says *Brand New* and that's not what you got. It probably happened in shipping. Looks like it's happened before.

Give him a chance to give you a refund, if not file a report and neg him. Give him an ultimatum, three days, to resolve or you are taking action.
Old 01-31-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol. he did say "what you see is what you get" and all I see is the disc. Sounds like bases are covered there.

And to be fair - $4.00 shipping and handling is a steal on ebay. The amount over 2.25 was considered handling...gas to the post office, envelope cost and paper towel cost...
Old 01-31-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like this guy is stealing discs from somewhere and eBaying them. None of his auctions have cases or manuals.
Old 01-31-08, 05:34 PM

Oh here's a email by email affair that I'm having on Paypal.

First email (Seller)

No where is it inferred that anything other than the game disc is included. Detailed pictures are given and like you just mentioned the auction states "what you see is what you get"The paper towel was used only as packing, which you should consider that the game was shipped in a brand new sealed mailer.Not to mention that if you had any doubts towards anything, I state in the auction "If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask." and you could have easily just asked...

My Response

So you think a plain mailer and a piece of paper towel is secure packing? Go to your local PO and ask for a disk mailer!!! When I saw that the disc was damaged, how wouldn't be from the way it was shipped.Nowhere is you auction dones it state that this is game disc only. They all you have to say "game disc only". The buyer should not have to ask this question? When you should have stated that auction time!!!In the end, I received a damaged game is that my fault too?I can send the damaged disc back to you!!what do you suggest to resolve this problem?

Second email from Seller

I sold about 30 games along with yours, They all recieved them intact. No one has given any complaints of insecure packaging, as well as with other auctions in the past. Please check my feedback for those recent auctions...Bottom line, it is the buyers (YOUR) responsibility to know what items you are bidding on. I gave pictures and everything, not to mention the auction was 5 days long so you had ALOT of time to ask any questions before placing a bid and you want me to elaborate even further? Were you also expecting an xbox 360? a new car? maybe a house? because like the case and manual there was no slight mention of those things in the auction.

My second response

I don't think you are looking at the right point of the issue right now. The disk came in damaged. just because other received their fine, doesn't how you shipped was fine. How can you expect a plain mailing envelop and paper towel to stop any damaged that may have occur during shipping. Like I said USPS laugh at the way you shipped this package.So again how can we resolve this?P.S.Forget the case/instructions that a lost cause with you.BTW. If you would have used a old cd case we wouldn't have this problem.

He states I should have email him to see before I bid to if the case/instructions are included. LOL

Of all the game I have purchased on Ebay, I have never thought to ask that question. Most that only have game disk only state that.

Last edited by Apollo; 01-31-08 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like you already gave him negative feedback.. You are SOL most likely now.. He won't cooperate for crap now that you've already neg'd him..

Next time wait till you get your money back!
Old 01-31-08, 05:39 PM

Yeah you're right !! He really piss me off.
Old 01-31-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the game is open then the item is not brand new, It's fucking used. If you wanted to be a real asshole you could make a list of all those games he sold and call his local retailers and find out who's had a rash of stolen games then report his ass.
Old 01-31-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Here's what was posted for his selling of a Madden '08 disc. Check your bullshit meter in the second response:

Question & Answer Answered On
Q: what are you going to ship the game in to insure it won't get scrated during the shipping process? would you consider buying a cd case to ship it...more Jan-17-08
A: It will be shipped in a secure brown mailer with packing, the mailer is approx the size of a half sheet of paper.
Q: does it come with the case and manual Jan-14-08
A: Had too many games and not enough room, decided to throw away the cases and manuals and keep the games in a spindle.

Yeah, sure you did, pal.

Still, I think any reasonable or at least expierenced person would safely assume if you're seeing only pictures of discs without any cases, that there probably aren't any cases included. You might have a legit gripe with paypal arguing that you saw this post above ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150205251875 ) and that you reasonably concluded that it would be sent in a SECURE mailer which this wasn't. I've gotten them to refund my money when an item was damaged and they might help you out as well.

Last edited by Decker; 01-31-08 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No Decker, after a bit more research I'm inclined to believe the seller. I found this picture of his house.

Old 01-31-08, 06:28 PM

I like your style!!, but I think I will just push this on Paypal.

Again I want to say that I am really pissed at the way he shipped the disk. I can get the case and instruction with no problem from a friend who works at GS.

But to send a game disk wrapped in one ply paper towel in plain envelope is insane. No wonder it got damaged.
Old 01-31-08, 06:35 PM

No offense, but that negative feedback description is kinda bland. It's not going to warn off other people when they look at that description and then check out the auction. You need to write up a good response, because he's already responded with a negative on you.

Ex. "Game had crack, packing was a paper towel in plain envelope. Refused to refund. Buyer beware."

The real problem I see is that there's no mention of a refund from either side. Maybe you forgot to mention it to us, but did he offer one?
Old 01-31-08, 06:42 PM

Damn!! This guy is a nut. He really didn't want to lower the value of the games by letting it be know that it was disk only
Old 01-31-08, 06:45 PM

I made the offer of letting him come up with a solution. I don't think he will do it, but I paypal know I am willing to work with him.
Old 01-31-08, 07:01 PM

This is his neg on me

Horrible ebayer,excessively late payment, Wants more than whats clearly included

This is really funny. It was a second chance offer that I won on Jan 18 and paid on Jan 18.

Here's the first winner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW:IT&ih=005

Since he did that I just going to stop talking and let paypal settle it.
Old 01-31-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Still, I think any reasonable or at least expierenced person would safely assume if you're seeing only pictures of discs without any cases, that there probably aren't any cases included.
I've been on eBay since 2000, and I'm not sure I would have assumed that a case and manual weren't included, but if I was doing more than glancing, I would have shot a question to ask. People on eBay will do whatever to make their auctions look more appealing so when someone doesn't say "Case/manual/inserts/booklets/etc are included" I always ask to cover my bases.

Still, this guy is shady and knows it.
Old 01-31-08, 07:29 PM

Boredsilly,

This guy have taught me a big lesson on covering your bases. But even asking questions like "are case/instructions included" can be bs'ed. In the past some auction I have bid on have stated "case/instructions included". The ones that are disk only state that. I know if I Ebay'ed a game with the disk only that would be the first line in the desc.
Old 01-31-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This guy uses the same definition of "new" as eb/gamestop. But since his auction said "what you see is what you get" and showed a picture of only the disc, I don't think you could leave a negative for that, despite how shady it is.

But his shipping certainly deserved a negative.
Old 02-01-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred
Looks like this guy is stealing discs from somewhere and eBaying them. None of his auctions have cases or manuals.
That came across to me as well.
Old 02-01-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Do you have any IDEA how much space those cases and manuals take up?? He's not a thief, he just needs the room!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.