DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/523506-star-wars-force-unleashed.html)

nickdawgy 08-21-08 10:50 PM

The demo sold me. I'll buy it day one.

edstein 08-21-08 10:54 PM

I love the concept but I don't like the controls. Maybe it would be better on the PS3.

Decker 08-21-08 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8889298)
3. I'm starving for a good 3rd person game. -Grand Theft Auto 4 was a colossal disappointment.

Oddest thing I've read all year. I'd accept that some one felt the game was overrated, but a colossal disappointment for one of the biggest, deepest, best reviewed games ever? Yet you're jazzed to spend $60 on a 12 hour game that's getting mediocre reviews?

Draven 08-21-08 11:07 PM

I bent a girder into the path of an oncoming TIE Fighter. That's pretty much good enough for me.

maingon 08-21-08 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 8889476)
Oddest thing I've read all year. I'd accept that some one felt the game was overrated, but a colossal disappointment for one of the biggest, deepest, best reviewed games ever? Yet you're jazzed to spend $60 on a 12 hour game that's getting mediocre reviews?

i agree with him, I hated GTA4, I loved all the others, but controls were horrible in that game, It was a let down.

I had a blast playing the demo.

PopcornTreeCt 08-22-08 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 8889476)

GTA IV was worse in every way from San Andreas. The city was smaller. The driving controls were shittier. You had less weapons, less outfits and less vehicles. The story wasn't "deep" it was the same old crappy storylines of all the other games. You couldn't purchase new houses like the other games. And perhaps worst of all, you were playing as some old ugly ass Russian dude. Most reviewers seemed to have their blinders on for this game. Bring on Saints Row 2 please.

So, yes I'm jazzed to spend $60 on a 12 hour game that's getting mediocre reviews. Because I played the demo first.

Michael Corvin 08-22-08 12:25 AM

Since there are two topics going on in here, first things first. I tend to agree with Popcorn on GTA. Reviewers were definitely hitting up the Kool-Aid on that one.

Looks like Force Unleased is getting mixed feedback. The demo sold me. I loved every minute of it. In fact it felt like the perfect demo. Just long enough to get you going but also short enough to leave you wanting more. On the flipside I finally tried out the Too Human demo, which I quit in the middle of. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd put one in. I play a demo I want to play the game. Way too many cut scenes for a demo.

Decker 08-22-08 01:51 AM

Gotta say, that TFU demo is very fun. I still wonder if this game will have a "Assassin's Creed" syndrome -- one fun element repeated ad nauseum. The force powers are really cool but I had a lot of trouble targeting the right thing (speaking of GTA...). Is there some way to cycle through targets? Anyway, it was fun, but those reviews leave me cautious. I'll probably rent this one.

Gooter 08-22-08 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 8889050)
I am seriously disappointed after playing the demo. I felt it had a complete lack of polish and wasn't graphically impressive at all either. The controls were also pretty poor. I doubt I will even rent the game after playing the demo.

My initial gut reaction mimics your thoughts. I will give the demo another few play throughs though as I only ran through it once. Mine stuttered a lot when loading in graphics or something, did yours too? (and yes I know it is a demo so this may not be an issue later).

taffer 08-22-08 12:31 PM

The TFU novel and graphic novel were both released this week.

RyoHazuki 08-22-08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gooter (Post 8889878)
My initial gut reaction mimics your thoughts. I will give the demo another few play throughs though as I only ran through it once. Mine stuttered a lot when loading in graphics or something, did yours too? (and yes I know it is a demo so this may not be an issue later).

Lightsaber combat created a lot of stuttering while I was playing the demo. I hope its gone from the final version.

Dragon Fly 08-22-08 04:27 PM

The force powers were cool I definitely liked how the apprentice interacted with the environment. I just couldn't stand the targeting system and found the button pressing sequences very out of place; like it disturbed the flow of the game. Otherwise I understand it's a demo so I can take a certain lack of polish but I just hope they tighten everything up before release and don't rush it.

Liver&Onions 08-22-08 04:31 PM

Psi-ops and Second Sight handled the force powers just as well as this game seems to. I was underwhelmed.

Flay 08-22-08 05:06 PM

Loved the force powers, but the control scheme felt clunky and dated.

nickdawgy 08-22-08 05:58 PM

I had stuttering as well. At the Lucas Arts logo, and the first cut scene. I hope it's fixed as well.

As for GTA IV, I disagree that it was overrated or a disappintment. In fact, I still have to finish it. That, and Assassins Creed and Mass Effect.

Michael Corvin 08-22-08 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 8890826)
Psi-ops and Second Sight handled the force powers just as well as this game seems to. I was underwhelmed.

Two excellent underrated games, and two of my favorite last gen. :up:

devilshalo 08-22-08 07:39 PM

I enjoyed it a lot more then Too Human. :p I'll be picking this up.

Rob V 08-22-08 08:15 PM

No stuttering for me. I liked the demo (aside from the timed button pressing to defeat the AT-ST) and will probably pick this up when it's released.

PopcornTreeCt 08-22-08 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 8889606)
Gotta say, that TFU demo is very fun. I still wonder if this game will have a "Assassin's Creed" syndrome -- one fun element repeated ad nauseum. The force powers are really cool but I had a lot of trouble targeting the right thing (speaking of GTA...). Is there some way to cycle through targets? Anyway, it was fun, but those reviews leave me cautious. I'll probably rent this one.

I think it may suffer from being repetitive like Assassin's Creed. Though if it's as good as Assassin's Creed was, I will be very happy.

edstein 08-22-08 09:31 PM

The PS3 version on my 40" 720p LCD looks better than the 360 version on my 65" 1080i Mits RPTV. The controls feel about the same. Seemed like there was less stuttering on the PS3 version. I'm not a big fan of the timed attacks ala God of War. My family really likes the genre so I'll probably get the PS3 version despite a few flaws.

flix1 08-23-08 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 8891063)
Two excellent underrated games, and two of my favorite last gen. :up:

I too loved Second Sight ... it was one of the few games I actually played through to the end.

bunkaroo 08-23-08 11:18 AM

I played the PS3 demo last night and liked it a lot. I was going to buy it anyway and this just sealed the deal for me.

Also, the demo ran smooth for me the whole time. Controls were fine too IMO.

I may try the 360 version just to see how different it feels.

JasonF 08-23-08 12:42 PM

I liked the demo. I've run through it twice on the 360 and had no slow-down problems at all.

I still need to figure out whether to buy this for the 360 or the Wii. I may get really silly and buy both.

shumway 08-23-08 04:54 PM

I know the controls are different, obviously, on the Wii version, but, I think the actual game levels are different as well. At least, that is what I recall reading somewhere.

mhg83 08-23-08 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by shumway (Post 8892367)
I know the controls are different, obviously, on the Wii version, but, I think the actual game levels are different as well. At least, that is what I recall reading somewhere.

Speaking of the wii wheres the demo on nintendos network??? -wink-