official PS3 thread x.2

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official PS3 thread x.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, the gun metal unit looks pretty ugly minus the controller. It just doesn't look sleek.
Old 04-18-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'd much prefer the gun metal to my super NASA designed super gloss dust magnet PS3.
Old 04-18-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd much prefer the gun metal to my super NASA designed super gloss dust magnet PS3.
I like the black as a color better than the gunmetal, but the matte finish on the gunmetal looks pretty good.
Old 04-18-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
You know, dust is also a verb.

Old 04-18-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with posts #727 and #728.
Old 04-18-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my super NASA designed super gloss dust magnet PS3.
Old 04-18-08, 06:43 PM

I too really like my NASA designed super gloss dust magnet PS3 because it has backwards compatibility.
Old 04-18-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
Sorry, I didn't explain that well; I missed a word. What I should've written was "... causing TV-episode DVDs to "resume" at the very beginning of the last episode that was watched instead of restarting at the main menu where it should." I don't need/want it to remember where I am in the menu (though that would be cool). I just want it to clear the resume point if I've completely finished an episode and I'm at the main menu when I exit playback, like every other player I've used. (Though maybe that's not as standard a feature on DVD players as I thought.)
I'd prefer it the way my JVC works. If I'm on Page 2 of the bonus features section, then when I put the disc back in, it takes me to the second menu page of Bonus Features. If I'm in the middle of a gallery of photos, that's where I resume to. It pretty much takes me exactly back to where I was when I popped the disc out.

I agree with the option of deleting old resume points. I know the space isn't an issue, but I'd like the control anyway.
Old 04-19-08, 07:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, has anyone been able to sign up for a Konami ID and connect to the MGS beta? The Konami site is getting slammed like crazy, and I can get as far as the page where it lets me put in all my info for registration, but it never lets me get further than that. I've tried it through the PS3, on my iphone, and on my computer. Have not once been able to actually register.
Old 04-19-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ok, has anyone been able to sign up for a Konami ID and connect to the MGS beta? The Konami site is getting slammed like crazy, and I can get as far as the page where it lets me put in all my info for registration, but it never lets me get further than that. I've tried it through the PS3, on my iphone, and on my computer. Have not once been able to actually register.
I'm all ready to go for the 21st. I registered for a Konami ID on Monday, just before the rush started, so I didn't have any problems with that. I didn't actually download the beta until Thursday night, but grabbed the main program in about an hour and let the patch run for a few hours overnight (used the peer to peer option, went pretty fast).

People on GAF are having success using a program called iMacro, which seems to more or less spam the Konami site until it accepts your registration info. The other problem people have been seeing is that the page seems to time your session out quickly, so try to enter in the information as fast as you can so you don't get a session-ended error if you can actually get through.
Old 04-19-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got one of the 9 digit codes. I've emailed the Metal Gear beta test inbox twice and no response. Can't sign up for a Konami ID this is fuxored.

Arghh this is so fucking annoying. I can't get an online ID from Konami, I can't get a working code, this is probably the most aggravating thing I've encountered for some time for such a measly thing.

Last edited by Pillowhead; 04-19-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So uhm....this thing looks fun. I decided on a PS3 for my DVD player and new HDTV, so I figured I should maybe learn about it and the games out there. I'm going to take tomorrow to read through this thread because I have a bunch of questions....what kind of cables do I need (monoprice.com is where I'm getting them, I just don't know specs), the general in's and out's of the system, good games, etc. ....my last system purchase as a Sega CD, sadly....I'm not kidding. I've played every system but the PS3, just never owned them. My last serious console gaming was Golden Eye for the N64 in college....Oh yeah!!

I'll dig up the answers in here, but if anyone is bored and wants to point out some worthwhile stuff to know.....I wouldn't be averse.

Oh, and a pretty decent deal. $330 after shipping, tax, and $100 coupon/rebate from my SonyCard. 12 month interest free, etc.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-20-08 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

HDMI: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

They have 1.5ft and 6ft lengths also.
Old 04-20-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet!

I'll pick up a 6' tomorrow. I'm hoping to get everything setup by friday.
Old 04-20-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My network connection just took a dump today. Anybody have any experience with this? It was working fine for like 7 months and then today I can't sign into the psnetwork or anything?

My cable modem is working fine. I've turned off the power to the PS3 and then plugged/unplugged the router and cable modem. Nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 04-21-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
My network connection just took a dump today. Anybody have any experience with this? It was working fine for like 7 months and then today I can't sign into the psnetwork or anything?

My cable modem is working fine. I've turned off the power to the PS3 and then plugged/unplugged the router and cable modem. Nothing.

Any ideas?
Did you download the newest system update for the PS3? You can't access anything on-line unless the software is current.
Old 04-21-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For a complete guitar playing n00b: which is easier to learn on/start? GH3 or RB?
Old 04-21-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Rock Band. Harmonix does a far better job of slowly easing you into playing.

I love GHIII, but this is one area where Activision truly fucked up when taking over the franchise. They just throw everything at you at once. If you put it on medium you better know how to use the blue button. By comparison RB will toss some blue notes at you early and gradually throw more in the further you get in the career eventually tossing in chords. Same with the orange button on Hard. You better know how to use it on the first song in GHIII whereas RB teaches you how to use it.
Old 04-21-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
File this under "You knew this was coming".

Sony to launch online video service for PlayStation 3
The company is attempting to stage a comeback in digital entertainment distribution.
By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Alex Pham
Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

April 21, 2008

Will the third time be the charm for Sony Corp.?

The entertainment and electronics giant is preparing to launch an online video service through its game console PlayStation 3 as early as this summer, studio executives familiar with the plan say.

The company has been in licensing talks with studios in recent weeks, according to these executives, who asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of continuing negotiations.

The initial version of the service would include movies and television shows flowing from the Internet to the PlayStation 3.

It would follow two other disappointing online ventures backed by Sony in recent years: Movielink, which attempted to become the online equivalent of the video store for mainstream Hollywood movies before being sold last year to Blockbuster Inc.; and Sony Connect, the company's response to Apple Inc.'s iTunes download service. It shut down in March.

The latest service, provided through the online PlayStation Network, is Sony's attempt to stage a comeback in digital entertainment distribution. The maker of the once-dominant Walkman portable music player is still smarting from its defeat by Apple in the online music revolution.

"They've got to get a win in the digital, and I'd say on the electronic delivery side of the business," said Kurt Scherf, an analyst with Parks Associates who studies technology in the home. "That's where the future is. They've got to establish a toehold in that space."

The latest initiative seeks to harness Sony's strengths as a maker of high-definition televisions and consumer products as well as a creator of films and TV shows.

Sony is trying to capitalize on its Trojan horse in the living room, the PlayStation 3. The console is already connected to the TV and the Internet, and has sold more than 4 million units in the U.S. and 9 million worldwide, according to Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles. The console gave Sony the decisive edge in the battle to establish its Blu-ray discs as the standard for high-definition video in the home, trumping the HD DVD format backed by Toshiba Corp., Microsoft Corp. and others.

The new service would position Sony to compete with the growing number of Internet-connected devices and services that deliver video to the TV, including AppleTV, Vudu and Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

Its biggest competitor would be Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which boasts 10 million subscribers who can sample online more than 4,800 hours of video, a quarter of them in high-definition. That includes 350 movies and more than 5,000 episodes of TV shows such as "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," most of which go on sale on Xbox Live the day after their initial broadcast airing. Unlike closed networks such as Apple's, Sony plans to embrace open standards that would make its offering compatible with a range of computers and hand-held devices, including its PlayStation Portable.

Patrick Seybold, a spokesman for the PlayStation unit, declined to comment.

However, a PlayStation marketing chief acknowledged the initiative and promised more details soon in a post Tuesday on the Inside PlayStation Network blog.

"Many of you have been hearing rumblings about a video service that will allow you to download full-length TV shows and movies via PlayStation Network for North America," wrote Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "While I don't have any new announcements . . . it's already been confirmed that we'll be offering a video service for PS3 in a way that separates the service from others you've seen or used."

One of the service's greatest obstacles may be Sony's own culture. Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Howard Stringer has been battling a corporate silo mentality in which divisions within his company work in isolation, undermining new initiatives. The PlayStation group in Foster City, Calif., has been notoriously aloof. Once, a former executive said, it scuttled plans for a movie subscription service for the PlayStation Portable even though Sony Pictures had supported the initiative.

What is more, the company, looking to safeguard its film, television and music holdings, has been an aggressive champion of copyright protection, often, critics suggest, at the cost of technological innovation.

"Sony has this blessing and curse of [having] some of the world's smartest intellectual property lawyers, who've never built or marketed a product in their life, who are good at saying, 'no,' " said Richard Doherty, senior analyst at consultancy Envisioneering Group in Seaford, N.Y. "The sun never sets on the Sony lawyers, they're around the world, in Tokyo, London, New York."

Sony insiders say attitudes are evolving under Tim Schaaff, a former Apple executive who is spearheading the company's latest plunge into online video. Schaaff joined Sony in December 2005 in the newly created position of senior vice president of software development and is helping the company, whose heritage dates to the transistor radio, appreciate the importance of deft software design in the digital era.

Online movie sales are still a tiny business and will remain small over the next year as DVDs continue to be the dominant home video format, according to Convergence Consulting Group. U.S. consumers spent $95 million for movies online last year, compared with $23.4 billion to rent and buy DVDs.

Nonetheless, market researcher Parks Associates projects that Internet video will grow more lucrative, reaping about $6.4 billion in revenue by 2010 from advertising, as well as paid downloads or rentals.

In the market, however, Microsoft has a head start.

"It isn't easy to do this," said Ross Honey, senior director of Microsoft's media and entertainment group.

"There is a lot of work to be done in just making this work and getting that movie up in high quality. We've had over a year's experience on how to do this, so we can focus on innovating as opposed to working out the kinks."

dawn.chmielewski@

latimes.com
Old 04-21-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rock Band. Harmonix does a far better job of slowly easing you into playing.
That's what I kinda figured. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Did you download the newest system update for the PS3? You can't access anything on-line unless the software is current.
Yep, I'm current to 2.30 (DTS-HD MA and the new store update) and it was working as of Saturday.
Old 04-21-08, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Blah. I don't use Microsoft's VOD service on the 360, and I won't be using Sony's.
Old 04-21-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having a problem with my PS3 40 gb. I went to watch Fantastic Four 2 and in the title menu i hit play and it wouldn't load. So i ejected and tried again, this time it wouldn't even register that i had a disk in. I tried 3 other disks and nothing happens when i put them in. Is this possibly a firmware issue or is my ps3 bricked all of a sudden? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Edison
The 80GB was discontinued in January of this year. There is a new 80GB Metal Gear bundle coming out, but no firm US date/price has been announced. When the MGS bundle was first 'hinted' at they said it would be just a straight 80GB unit so it would include backwards compatibility via software, but lately I've heard it will be based on the 40GB hardware, with a larger drive so no backwards compatibility with PS2 titles at all.

The 40GB lost 2 USB ports, and the memory card readers as well.
$499 @ the SonyStyle website, release date of June 2008 w/ shock control and MGS4.

I bought the 40GB on Sunday from them for $399.....and now I'm doubting my decision. I don't game much, and I figure I can install a new HD if needed (or use externals...as I have 2-3). How big of a difference is the new 40GB from the new 80GB. The major drawback from the 80 is that it comes out in June, and i'd have to wait 1.5-2 months for it....AND pay $100 more.

Anything I should know about the new 40gb model?

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-22-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-22-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
$499 @ the SonyStyle website, release date of June 2008 w/ shock control and MGS4.

I bought the 40GB on Sunday from them for $399.....and now I'm doubting my decision. I don't game much, and I figure I can install a new HD if needed (or use externals...as I have 2-3). How big of a difference is the new 40GB from the new 80GB. The major drawback from the 80 is that it comes out in June, and i'd have to wait 1.5-2 months for it....AND pay $100 more.

Anything I should know about the new 40gb model?
Don't worry I also bought the 40gb with SM 3 on Saturday. I looked at it this way:

Am I a big fan of the MGS series? NO
Will I need more than 40gb? Probably not
Is the rumble controller better than the current one? YES
Is it worth the extra $100 for MGS 4, the rumble pak and extra 40 gb and wait two months? NO

Even though I don't have games, I'm enjoying my Blu Rays. I bought about 6 titles when they had buy one get one offers at Fry's and Best Buy and they were only $19.99.

I just went to Fry's today and Black Hawk Down, which was part of the b1g1 deal and $19.99 about 6 months ago is now $22.99. The pricing for the Blu Ray movies is getting more ridiculous. You'd think it'd be cheaper since more people are buying it but I guess there's no competition so why not raise the prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.