Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official PS3 thread x.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 908 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by TLwizard
quick question... i just picked up Beyond Good and Evil (PS2 version) and am having a lot of fun playing it. my question however is that i've changed the setting to "progressive" but the image is showing up as a rectangle within my 1080p hdtv. is there another setting i need to change on the ps3 itself to get it scaled properly?

also, when i zoom in with my tv's aspect button, there are still black bars on the side.

thanks.

ps i'm not averse to "black bars," i was just under the assumption that the 16:9 progressive image would scale properly to my tv.
Change the up-scaling option in the PS3 to Full. That'll make it fill the screen mostly. You'll still have small bars on the left/right but not nearly as bad as a 4:3 image.
Old 02-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, Sony, no... So you take away PS2 emulation entirely via disc media only to turn around and offer it on a per-download basis?

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/...-games-on-ps3/

New York (dbTechno) - Sony has hinted that even though the new models of the PS3 do not do backwards compatability, PS3 owners may soon be able to download full original PS2 games over the PlayStation Network, fully playable on the PS3.

The PS3 launch models are starting to go away, and with that, PS2 backwards compatability is going out the window, or so we thought.

Sony may have plans in the pipeline though to bring back PS2 games on the PS3, as download from the PlayStation Store.

The director of the Sony PlayStation Network, Eric Lempel, told EGM in an interview that “We haven’t talked about that yet, but there are possibilities through technology and software emulation to make that possible.”

If they did go this route, Sony would likely charge per game just as they do with the original PlayStation games and PSP games.

This model though could open things up for Sony quite a bit.

Sony could offer high-definition versions of PS2 downloadable games on the PS3, fixing all worries about backwards compatability being gone.

We will have to wait and see, but it is certainly something Sony has interest in for the PlayStation Network.

Heck, I’d download Ico on my PS3.
Old 02-14-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is how PS2 games should look on the PS3, since the "Cell" can render Spider-Man 2 in real time and all.

Spoiler:
Old 02-14-08, 10:36 AM
Suspended

So I started downloading some demos last night.

After about an hour, the Gran Turismo demo had downloaded. When I clicked on it to play the thing, then it started installing. The hell?

Are the downloads compressed or something?
Old 02-14-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
So I started downloading some demos last night.

After about an hour, the Gran Turismo demo had downloaded. When I clicked on it to play the thing, then it started installing. The hell?

Are the downloads compressed or something?
Welcome to the PS3 ... home of the free. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-14-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Welcome to the PS3 ... home of the free. You get what you pay for.
YEAH GOOD ONE BUT YOUR HALO LEVEL..

Aw, forget it.
Old 02-14-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ You forgot to post a link to my stats. That's not going to go away for a long while.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Oh, Sony, no... So you take away PS2 emulation entirely via disc media only to turn around and offer it on a per-download basis?

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/...-games-on-ps3/
While higher-res PS2 titles sound intriguing it shouldn't come at the cost of all backwards compatibility. I don't see why they can't offer PS2 games, MS offers Xbox games, and <cough> they didn't remove back compat to do it. Then again, I'd hate to even wonder how long a 5GB game would take to download...shudder.

What a cluster fuck. Then again, what has Sony done right this gen? I hope to hell my 60GB doesn't crap out since I never have and don't own a PS2.
Old 02-14-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up Uncharted last night. I've only played an hour or so into it, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I really like the puzzle set up so far. I haven't had much gun play yet, but I've enjoyed the little exposure I've had to Gears in the past, so I think I'm going to like that too.
Old 02-14-08, 01:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
This is how PS2 games should look on the PS3, since the "Cell" can render Spider-Man 2 in real time and all.

Spoiler:
What a surprise, Pixy thinks all PS2 games should look like Kingdom Hearts.

Old 02-14-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I picked up Uncharted last night. I've only played an hour or so into it, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I really like the puzzle set up so far. I haven't had much gun play yet, but I've enjoyed the little exposure I've had to Gears in the past, so I think I'm going to like that too.
The gunplay isn't nearly as good as it was in Gears but it's definitely a ton of fun. Overall Drake's fortune is an absolute blast.
Old 02-15-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Found this explanation at another board...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1
Well I finally went by Home Depot and snagged an adapter (was about $.70) and it appears to have worked. I say that with caution though because I only watched one episode of Lost on BD last night. It will take a few more viewings to know for sure.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-15-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Change the up-scaling option in the PS3 to Full. That'll make it fill the screen mostly. You'll still have small bars on the left/right but not nearly as bad as a 4:3 image.
Thanks so much!

I'll add on that I have also picked up Uncharted, R&C, as well as Pixel Junk Monsters and am having a blast with all three of those.
Old 02-16-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still new at the machine and I've got kind of a dumb question, but can you turn the PS3 off (I know you can turn it on) using the button on the front, or do you always have to use the controller/remote?
Old 02-16-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can use the button on the front ... just touch it for a couple of seconds. It should also send a signal to the controller to turn that off too.
Old 02-16-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got Warhawk this week...I know the fun is in there, but I'm having trouble getting to it because the learning curve is just brutal.

Any other Warhawk n00bs out there want to start some less frantic games?

Tag: Frizby
Old 02-16-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I just got Warhawk this week...I know the fun is in there, but I'm having trouble getting to it because the learning curve is just brutal.

Any other Warhawk n00bs out there want to start some less frantic games?

Tag: Frizby
I might be ready to try my noob skills in a few days. I have this but haven't tried it yet, and I know the minute I hit a public server I will be owned hard.

I believe you can setup a local server so you can practice, but I haven't tried yet.
Old 02-16-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
You can use the button on the front ... just touch it for a couple of seconds. It should also send a signal to the controller to turn that off too.
Ah, thanks.
Old 02-16-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I might be ready to try my noob skills in a few days. I have this but haven't tried it yet, and I know the minute I hit a public server I will be owned hard.

I believe you can setup a local server so you can practice, but I haven't tried yet.
I've been owned all day...hard. But I think my kill ratio is going from about 1:5 to about 1:3, so I might be getting a little better.

You can host your own game and password protect it, but beyond getting you accustomed to the controls, it doesn't help much. You can also host a game with reserved slots for your friends, and you can find your friends and enter their games.

Add me to your friends, and I'll look out for you. The game is a blast, even when you're getting owned.
Old 02-16-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I've been owned all day...hard. But I think my kill ratio is going from about 1:5 to about 1:3, so I might be getting a little better.

You can host your own game and password protect it, but beyond getting you accustomed to the controls, it doesn't help much. You can also host a game with reserved slots for your friends, and you can find your friends and enter their games.

Add me to your friends, and I'll look out for you. The game is a blast, even when you're getting owned.
Sounds cool. I'll do that soon.

It'll remind me of my first week with BF2, which almost made me quit. Thankfully I toughed it out and started doing a lot of owning myself.
Old 02-16-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
My copy of Warhawk came in today. I'm pretty afraid to try it out online. How hard would it have been to start with some bots until you get your footing?
Old 02-17-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
My copy of Warhawk came in today. I'm pretty afraid to try it out online. How hard would it have been to start with some bots until you get your footing?
I'll add you to my friends. Look for Frizby. Should be on around 8PM central.

I'm really not sure bots could have in any way simulated human behavior. It really can be brutal out there.
Old 02-17-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a quick question...

I bought a PS3 at launch, never used it and sold it off after a few months. Now I would like to get one again and was wondering if once I get a new system I can recover the online nickname I used on my previous system once I enter in my e-mail and personal information. I tried searching for the answer a few places but came up with nothing that was helpful.
Old 02-18-08, 07:33 AM
Suspended

Yes, once you use your old login information, it will come back up.
Old 02-18-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Another quick question. First off here is my Setup:
Samsung 32"LCD HDTV
PS3 with monster HDMI cable

Whenever I turn on my PS3 and I put in a game first, the blacks on the screen look almost grey, but after I watch a blu-ray movie, then play a game everything looks fine. Does anyone know about this or could explain how to fix it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.