Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 4

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 4

Old 02-14-08, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a complete list of songs that were in the .bin file the guy cracked. *All artists are speculation* Only song titles were llsted in the .bin file.

This was taken from a Rock Band forum post, it's not my list:

Let's try to identify the bands:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
Behind Blue Eyes - Who (Who's Next)
Breed - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
Come as You Are - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Drain You - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Lithium - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Lounge Act - Nirvana (Nevermind)
On a Plain - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Pinball Wizard - The Who
Polly - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Something in the Way - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Stay Away - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Territorial Pissings - Nirvana (Nevermind)
Wrathchild - Iron Maiden
Zero - Smashing Pumpkins

Rock 'n' Roll Star - Oasis
Hysteria - Def Leppard or Muse
Through the Monsoon - Tokeio Hotel
Beetlebum - Blur
Roam - B52's
Calling Dr. Love - Kiss
The Perfect Drug - NIN
Teenage Lobotomy - Ramones
March Of The Pigs - NIN
The Collector - NIN
Complete Control - Clash
Truth Hits Everybody - Police
Why Do You Love Me? - Garbage
Sex Type Thing - STP
El Scorcho - Weezer
Casey Jones - Grateful Dead
Alabama Getaway - Grateful Dead
Sugar Magnolia - Grateful Dead
Truckin' - Grateful Dead
I Need A Miracle - Grateful Dead
Shooting Star - Bad Company
Simple Man - Lynrd Skynrd
Message In A Bottle - Police
Supernaut - Black Sabbath
Fuel - Metallica
China Cat Sunflower - Grateful Dead
Franklin's Tower - Grateful Dead
Still Alive ?
D.O.A. - Foo Fighters?
Old 02-14-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I would love to get some Def Leppard although i imagine the first big hit they would go for would be Pour Some Sugar.
My wife and I were talking about this very song just the other night. I think it would be one of those songs that is absurdly fun to play, even if it's not over challenging.
Old 02-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shumway
My wife and I were talking about this very song just the other night. I think it would be one of those songs that is absurdly fun to play, even if it's not over challenging.
I really wonder how they would handle the drums in those post Pyromania Def Leppard tracks.
Old 02-14-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully we get to find out.
Old 02-14-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I really wonder how they would handle the drums in those post Pyromania Def Leppard tracks.
Think there'll be a special achievement for using only your teeth?
Old 02-14-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only song that I could think of for "Still Alive" is a Kinks song. But I don't remember what CD it was on... nor do I think it was just called "Still Alive." I'm full of useful information!

The most exciting thing on that list is the thought of someone trying to sing "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Not that there aren't some good songs on the list, mind you. I'm still psyched for the NIN pack.

Last edited by jdpatri; 02-14-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdpatri
The only song that I could think of for "Still Alive" is a Kinks song. But I don't remember what CD it was on... nor do I think it was just called "Still Alive." I'm full of useful information!
RB has mentioned before that they plan on including songs from video games, so I really think it is the Jonathan Coulton song "Still Alive" from the closing credits of Portal.
Old 02-14-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
If they ever DLC'd "Pour Some Sugar," I'm pretty sure my wife would never play anything else.
Old 02-14-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MurraySiskind
RB has mentioned before that they plan on including songs from video games, so I really think it is the Jonathan Coulton song "Still Alive" from the closing credits of Portal.
Yeah, that makes more sense.
Old 02-14-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by MurraySiskind
There's no Grateful Dead or Blur in the game right now is there?
To be fair, we knew GD was coming so that leaves Blur and a video game song. I'm going to be the skeptical one, but how do we know this guy isn't just looking for some internet fame?

They'll have to wait until RB: Def Leppard expansion and pack in two extra pedal's.
Old 02-14-08, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To be fair, we knew GD was coming so that leaves Blur and a video game song.
I was merely speaking to your first point where you said "That's a great list of songs BY ALL THE SAME ARTISTS WE ALREADY HAVE." So I was pointing out that GD, Blur, and Def Leppard/Muse are artists not in the game yet. Whether they've been mentioned or announced somewhere previously is a different argument.

Since most of the songs are from artists already in the game and some of the songs listed have been announced by RB then it seems fairly credible. Either way it's an interesting read. As long as we can take a break from Police songs then I'm happy.

Last edited by MurraySiskind; 02-14-08 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
I don't think it would be hard to convert Rick's shark pedals to the appropriate pad. I would personally want songs off Pyromania tho. Rock of Ages or Photograph are pretty much perfect for Rock Band in that all instrument parts are fun yet challenging.
Old 02-14-08, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was hoping they had the wrong song name for "Still Alive" and it was actually "Alive" by Pearl Jam. That'd be a fun song I think. But I doubt if they didn't know the actual title.
Old 02-14-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't buy it at all.

If it's accurate, it's a major disappointment...we're not getting any sort of variety in terms of artists not currently in the game.
Old 02-14-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No "Blink 182 - Dammit" = no sale
Old 02-14-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by abrg923
I don't buy it at all.

If it's accurate, it's a major disappointment...we're not getting any sort of variety in terms of artists not currently in the game.

HMX Sean already posted in the thread on the Rock Band forums that it's just like the March DLC leak.....they're songs slated to be released and are subject to change, so it's pretty accurate.

Harmonix has shot down leaked info in the past if it's not accurate. They didn't shoot down this list.
Old 02-14-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
I don't buy it at all.

Again, they probably licensed songs in batches. That's why we're seeing a lot of the in-game artists showing up as DLC right now. I'll be talking with some of the HMX guys next week at GDC, and I'll try to get some more info if I can.
Old 02-14-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We'll see. That would be disappointing if there isnt alot of new artist. There are some good songs on there however (obviously Nirvana but also Zero, Bettlebum, Garbage etc...). I was really hoping for some Incubus, Sparta, Thrice, Interpol and more RCHP. We'll see.
Old 02-14-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Think there'll be a special achievement for using only your teeth?
Old 02-14-08, 10:26 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two things about that list: 1. That's a great list of songs BY ALL THE SAME ARTISTS WE ALREADY HAVE. 2. the "rumored" DLC that has popped up every couple of weeks has been wrong EVERY time. Seriously, we're like 0 for 14, on those actually being right. So I'm not putting much stock into this one.
As others have mentioned, this time is different. These song names came from a file included with the most recent batch of DLC. These songs are most definitely in the works, but they could still get held up due to legal or other issues. Also, the reason that the list largely contains the same artists is that the licensing rights etc. to most, if not all, of the DLC songs were obtained months ago (before RB was released). It has been estimated that it takes 3-6 months to complete the process of making a song into DLC. That assumes that the process of obtaining the rights to the song goes smoothly. If not, it could take much, much longer. Before RB was released and proven (i.e. when Harmonix was in the first stages of planning out the DLC for the next year or so), Harmonix was likely not able to convince a lot of artists to agree to license their songs and/or could not afford to pay them.
Old 02-15-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jan. NPD
4 Rock Band (Xbox 360) 183,800 197,300 -6.84%
5 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Xbox 360) 182,700 -- --
Looks like the tides are starting to turn. RB beat out sales of GHIII last month by a small margin. Hopefully that gap continues to widen as people realize that RB provides the more awesome experience.
Old 02-15-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Hopefully that gap continues to widen as people realize that RB provides the more awesome experience.
Or when you realize that GHIII has outsold RB by about 10 million to 500k.

Personally, despite the insanely hard difficulty, I find GHIII far more satisfying than either GHII or RB. There just aren't enough "incentives" in RB to doing great in a song. Oooh, you just finished a song on expert, here's $20!
Old 02-15-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, despite the insanely hard difficulty, I find GHIII far more satisfying than either GHII or RB. There just aren't enough "incentives" in RB to doing great in a song. Oooh, you just finished a song on expert, here's $20!
I do get more satisfaction finishing a song in GH3, but I thought RB is a better game. Better music, better art/graphics, and the ability to play with 3 other people make it a great party game. GH3 is great for solo play (except for those boss battles).
Old 02-15-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The time is still early. GH obviously has more name recognition now, but that may be turning. I bought GHIII when it first came otu because I loved what Harmonix started, and hoped that Neversoft could replicate that. Now, it seems they're going to milk the franchise with all of these add-ons and sequels like they do with Tony Hawk.

What incentives does GHIII offer for beating a song beyond what RB does? Achievements? Those aren't available on PS3, so it wouldn't go across the board. You still get a star rating, percent hit, and streak in RB. So that wouldn't be it either. I haven't placed GHIII in the tray since November, so maybe I've forgotten something though. I get a huge amount of satisfaction when I 100% a solo, or 100% a song on vocals. Gold-starring songs as a band is a nice little uplifting moment as well. And then, of course, there's the endless setlist, which is so full of awesome that it must be experienced to be appreciated!
Old 02-15-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I finished GH3 one time (on Hard, got about 3/4 of the way through on expert (rainy afternoon)) and stopped playing it... it just wasn't nearly as much fun as the previous entries, or RB for that matter.

I'm sort of burnt out on the genre right now, though. But in terms of incentive... there was absolutely no incentive to keep playing GH3 other than to "get better" at songs that weren't that much fun to play the first time and decreased with each subsequent play through.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.