Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got our footage from the competition. Sorry about the crappy quality, but the guy recorded it off his cell phone.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkSEXAZaJQw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkSEXAZaJQw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-23-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to watch it, I truly did. But it just doesn't do you guys, the game, the song, or the atmosphere any justice.
Old 01-23-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I wanted to watch it, I truly did. But it just doesn't do you guys, the game, the song, or the atmosphere any justice.
Is it us, the quality, or just the fact that we're playing Rock Band on stage?
Old 01-23-08, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I think it's just that if you hadn't told us that you were playing Rock Band, we wouldn't know...
Old 01-23-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I think it's just that if you hadn't told us that you were playing Rock Band, we wouldn't know...
Understood. The guy who shot the video was upstairs looking down (obviously), but it still wouldn't be completely obvious, as they had this drum kit:

All in all still a great experience, even if I am a little miffed still. Reading some write-ups about the show and from the other bands, it shows that the judging was completely biased. One of the judges had a huge hard-on for wings, so as soon as they saw the winners come on stage with butterfly wings on, it was an instant 10 no matter what they did.

And to top it off, the winners came up to the second place band after the show and asked to switch prizes, as they didn't feel comfortable playing at Hard Rock Live in front of over a thousand people, but they turned it down as well. Our band would've jumped on that in a heartbeat! I can't wait to hear the write-up in the paper tomorrow and see no mention of the opening act of VGL, because the winners chickened out.
Old 01-23-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm all for taking the Rock Band experience to the stage. Like lotsofdvds said, you can't see the RB screen to "see" how you're doing, hearing would be cool - if you could hear anything. It's just so overloaded on that cell phone that it just doesn't do the performance justice.
Old 01-23-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm all for taking the Rock Band experience to the stage. Like lotsofdvds said, you can't see the RB screen to "see" how you're doing, hearing would be cool - if you could hear anything. It's just so overloaded on that cell phone that it just doesn't do the performance justice.
We'll try to get something better at the next competition (whenever that is). They didn't really have it set up for the audience to watch the actual game anyways. They had a monitor for each of us, and two smallish (32"?) LCD's on either side of the stage. I didn't get a chance to look at the summary screen, and I'm sure we didn't do as well as we normally would at home due to the atmosphere.

I'll sign off on all this competition stuff and get back to discussion about the game now. Can't wait to try out that Prog pack next week!
Old 01-23-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking yesterday about ways to improve my overall drumming. I do pretty well on Hard, Expert on easier songs, but, I don't feel like I'm at my best on quick beats that would be easiest using both hands. So, I had the brainstorm to try songs on lefty on hard especially ones with steady continual beats like Maps. By about the 3rd or 4th song I started to get a little more comfortable, though my left forearm started to get a little sore. I was still managing to get low instead of high 90s on the songs I tried. Anyone else try this or have any other suggestions?
Old 01-23-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
that's a pretty badass drum kit.

Shagrath, could the audience see the game screen running when you performed?
Old 01-23-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
that's a pretty badass drum kit.

Shagrath, could the audience see the game screen running when you performed?
There were two LCD's on the sides of the stage facing the audience. However, everyone was most focused on the actual performers. Here's a random pic from the open mic session they had earlier in the week.

I also just found out that the winning band won't even get to perform at VGL, due to some technicality with the Musician's Union or something. So, they ended up just getting four tickets to the show, of which some of them didn't even want to go. Someone on the official RB forums said that the winning band gave them a pair of tickets on the way out, as they didn't want to go.
Old 01-23-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice of the contest organizers doing their research on if the prize was valid in the first place. lol.
Old 01-23-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Nice of the contest organizers doing their research on if the prize was valid in the first place. lol.
I guess they didn't get notification until a day or so before the competition. But yeah, still pretty humorous, and I don't feel so gypped now. I mean, seeing VGL would've been cool, but it's nothing I was super-excited for. The second place prize of $200 wouldn't really be much splitting between four people either. So the only real thing worth winning was the prize that got canceled. Heh.
Old 01-23-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Well, the local union is recognizing them as actual musical artists?
Old 01-23-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd love to give that kit a try in Rock Band! Red Pad is probably more responsive than mine, too . Where was that "competition" held? Are there more coming up?

As for the video, I have to agree with pinata, and it's probably much more enjoyable to watch for those that participated. Show some random person that footage and they say "WTH is this?" .
Old 01-23-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I love Rock Band, and I love playing it in a big group of friends, but even I can admit that that picture right there is about the saddest thing I've ever seen.
Old 01-23-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I love Rock Band, and I love playing it in a big group of friends, but even I can admit that that picture right there is about the saddest thing I've ever seen.
Old 01-23-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
I'd love to give that kit a try in Rock Band! Red Pad is probably more responsive than mine, too . Where was that "competition" held? Are there more coming up?
This was held at Otronicon, which is a video games festival held at the Orlando Science Center every year.

A few instructors and myself at the college I teach at are going to try to get a competition up for the students in March or so. The stage will be much bigger than the one we competed at this weekend, with stage lights and a professional sound system. Also, we'll make sure to get the whole thing recorded as well.
Old 01-23-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I need more of you guys on my friends list so I can compare scores. I'm going to add those of you who have your gamertags in your sigs, but please feel free to send me an invite too. I like having a lot of competition for top score... keeps the game fresh.
I like comparing scores too so I just sent you a FR \
Anyone else who want to do same feel free to add me.

Finally finished the Hard tour for drums...wooo!

BTW Shagrath you are the top of most of my friend leaderboards, nice work!
Old 01-23-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Well, the local union is recognizing them as actual musical artists?
Then again, there's precedent for people who can't sing or play instruments to be called musicians and perform live and even win awards--guys, you know it's true. At least RB contests are honest about the focus being on showmanship and not musical talent.
Still it is a little odd--but less so than the Air Guitar championships I've heard of.
Old 01-23-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I gotta say, while I'm certainly not thrilled by any means with the QA of the equipment, I had a pretty good experience so far. Finally RMA'd my bum guitar on Sunday (express method) and received the new one about an hour ago. Works perfectly so far (knock knock knock). I guess they've gotten the kinks worked out of the system in terms of how long it takes.
Old 01-23-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Here's part three of my return story:
brief background:
* Submitted RMA request just before Christmas. Did not put credit card info, asked for the "slow" method.
* Five days later (Christmas intervened) received a package from UPS. Didn't open it for a few days.
* Opened it--it had a guitar. Tried it out, compared to my original one--it was worse.
* About a week later, sent the replacement one back.
* I guess EA was clued in to the tracking number, because the day after I sent it back, I got an automated email from them saying something like "We are processing your RMA".
* Received another package today--with guitar. This one seems to work better than my first replacement, but not sure if it's better than my current (original) one.
I'm not sure what happened; if they sent me the original replacement guitar out accidentally, when it was supposed to be an empty box, and when i sent them back the replacement, they thought that was "mine" and they sent what they thought was the real replacement--or what. On the support website both my tickets are complete.
Anyway, I'll hold on to this one for a little bit to see which is better (and play a little guitar/bass combo).
Old 01-23-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I finally got my Rock Band that I was supposed to have back in early December... UPS is pretty much the devil incarnate, and hate them with all of my being. Setting it up now and hope to be on my way to greatness soon!!!!
Old 01-23-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
UPS is pretty much the devil incarnate, and hate them with all of my being.

Old 01-23-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why isn't my Solo Tour Score showing on the leaderboards? I'm about 85% complete on Hard with a little over 3,000,000 points.
Old 01-24-08, 10:49 AM

Hey Shagrath (or anyone who can help)

I like your post that shows the difficulty ratings and videos for the DLC. Thanks for that. Is there also a post that has the same info for the songs that come with the game?

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.