Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
You do realize everybody was joking, right?
Sarcasm is sometimes lost to me on the net unless smilies make an appearance. I'll challenge anyone to a vocal tug of war or a duel any day, as long as it's not too late at night. You'll also get Riding on Coattails for playing with me or against me.
Old 02-03-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Sarcasm is sometimes lost to me on the net unless smilies make an appearance. I'll challenge anyone to a vocal tug of war or a duel any day, as long as it's not too late at night. You'll also get Riding on Coattails for playing with me or against me.

I'll be sure to look for you :-) I want the achievements and I don't have too much time to do the whole world tour thing. I just realized I can filter to just see Friends scores. Woohoo! I'm on top for a couple of songs! :-D
Old 02-03-08, 09:36 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Guess you aren't into Swedish Death Metal then, since they are basically the fathers of it.
There is actually a segment of metal called "Swedish Death Metal"? What about German death metal? Kreator and Destruction fit in that group?
Old 02-03-08, 10:04 PM
Banned

Fortunate Son is another one easy to 100% (on vocals).
Old 02-03-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang
I'll be sure to look for you :-) I want the achievements and I don't have too much time to do the whole world tour thing. I just realized I can filter to just see Friends scores. Woohoo! I'm on top for a couple of songs! :-D
Woohoo! A challenge! I'll have to look for you and see if I can best your scores. Muhahahaha!
Old 02-03-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
There is actually a segment of metal called "Swedish Death Metal"? What about German death metal? Kreator and Destruction fit in that group?
Swedish Death Metal/Gothenburg Style is also referred to as Melodic Death Metal (it more or less originated in Sweden thought not a 100% definition) and is a known and often copied style of music (Darkest Hour is my favorite of the clones). Bands like At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, etc; are prime examples.

A lot of the Christian Metal bands like As I Lay Dying and August Burns Red fall into this category as well.

Some original samples:

Spoiler:

In Flames (old school - Jester Race, they sound completely different now):
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrbQdlqvjEE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrbQdlqvjEE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

At The Gates (Raped by the Light of Christ - Terrible recording tho):
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jqq0vvYHA9U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jqq0vvYHA9U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dark Tranquility (The New Blind):
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKDy0GJVQqc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKDy0GJVQqc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dispatched - The Final Countdown (Europe Cover)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3luJ3qzVy5E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3luJ3qzVy5E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sort of multi-genre:
Children of Bodom - Downfall
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbr89uDTr9Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbr89uDTr9Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I know a lot of people hate the screamo vocals, but for one reason or another, I still prefer it over a lot of stuff out there, has a good feel of aggression and is oddly relaxing at the same time.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-03-08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woohoo! A challenge! I'll have to look for you and see if I can best your scores. Muhahahaha!

LOL! Keep in mind...as mentioned before...I have only heard about 5 of these songs before playing this game. :-)

Are you getting the AI Karaoke Revolution this week? :-D
Old 02-04-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang
LOL! Keep in mind...as mentioned before...I have only heard about 5 of these songs before playing this game. :-)

Are you getting the AI Karaoke Revolution this week? :-D
No. I was never a fan of American Idol. I checked out the songlist, just in case, but didn't really see much I recognized either. I'm more of a rock guy, myself, so Rock Band is right up my alley.

I hadn't heard a lot of the songs before the tracklist was announced either, but I play/listen to the mp3s enough to get them down pretty quick.
Old 02-04-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. I was never a fan of American Idol. I checked out the songlist, just in case, but didn't really see much I recognized either. I'm more of a rock guy, myself, so Rock Band is right up my alley.

I hadn't heard a lot of the songs before the tracklist was announced either, but I play/listen to the mp3s enough to get them down pretty quick.
Ah! I was actually thinking of doing the same thing for most of them. I liked a lot of the songs but there are several that I NEVER care to hear again! LOL I am sure that is the same for some people with Pop songs. :-)
Old 02-04-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
This week's DLC:

"Roam" by the B-52s
"We Care a Lot" by Faith No MOre
"Calling Dr. Love" by Kiss

http://www.rockband.com/dlc currently isn't indicating what's a cover and what's not.
Old 02-04-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I had my real band over to play rock band after the super bowl and it was a certified disaster I had to save my overdrives just to try and save everyone else!!

I told them that they had to perform the song per the notes on screen and couldn't veer off into improv. Despite that, my singer started doing his live routine, my drummer started showing off and the bassist got bored and started addling lines.

It was pretty funny to see guys who can pull off some impressive stuff in real life get totally pwned by this game. Just goes to show you how much of a difference there really is.
Old 02-04-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in for "We Care A Lot"!!!!! Nice!
Old 02-04-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
http://www.rockband.com/dlc currently isn't indicating what's a cover and what's not.
Usually the announcement will say "As Made Famous By" or with a * to indicate a cover. I'm going to assume that all three of these are masters, but we won't know for certain until tomorrow.

Nothing too exciting for me this week, but I'll grab the songs and give them a listen a little later today. I watched a youtube video of the FNM song when it was originally leaked and wasn't impressed, but I'll keep an open mind if the charts are good.
Old 02-04-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Usually the announcement will say "As Made Famous By" or with a * to indicate a cover. I'm going to assume that all three of these are masters, but we won't know for certain until tomorrow.

Nothing too exciting for me this week, but I'll grab the songs and give them a listen a little later today. I watched a youtube video of the FNM song when it was originally leaked and wasn't impressed, but I'll keep an open mind if the charts are good.
It's not one of their better songs, I agree. I would have liked to see From Out of Nowhere or Falling to Pieces.
Old 02-04-08, 10:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
"We Care a Lot" is more of a shout/rap style song, I'm not sure how the singing portion will be for this.
Old 02-04-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Theyyy calll meeeee DOCTAH LOVE
Old 02-04-08, 10:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm right there for Faith No More and Kiss. Calling Dr. Love is such a fun song.
Old 02-04-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, nothing for me this week.
Old 02-04-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

w00t! Gene Simmons on vocals! And a non-cover Kiss song is awesome.
Old 02-04-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be all over Rock Lobster or Love Shack - but Roam? Not so sure yet...
Old 02-04-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll get the FNM song just because I like the band a lot, but I am not expecting it to be an overly challenging or exciting one to play.
Old 02-04-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wow, it's like they pumped out 2 good months of DLC then completely gave up and release crap now. Everything in March is gonna suck except the police song and maybe a NIN or 2. So far Feb is horrible too
Old 02-04-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
wow, it's like they pumped out 2 good months of DLC then completely gave up and release crap now. Everything in March is gonna suck except the police song and maybe a NIN or 2. So far Feb is horrible too
While not a huge fan of this weeks, March looks to be the best thus far.

At the very least, Simple Man and Message In a Bottle are fun to play on guitar and sing, Fuel is recognizeable, and the thrash pack (which isn't really thrash, but no less) kicks ass. Alas as with all things, tastes vary.

You've got to keep in mind, there are people who actually bought and enjoy Brass in Pocket.

March 4 - Thrash Pack
At The Gates: Blinded By Fear
Evile: Thrashes
The Haunted: Shadow World

March 11
Bad Company: Shooting Star (COVER) (Depending on Qual of Cover, sort of a maybe)
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Simple Man
The Police: Message in a Bottle

March 18 - NIN Pack
Nine Inch Nails: March of the Pigs
Nine Inch Nails: The Collector
Nine Inch Nails: The Perfect Drug

March 25 - Metal Pack
Iron Maiden: Wrathchild (COVER) (Depending on Cover)
Black Sabbath: Supernaut (COVER) (Depending on Cover)
Metallica: Fuel (Sort of indifferent to)
To each their own.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-04-08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Well, fortunately not everyone shares the same musical tastes as you. It just goes to show that they can never please everyone.
Old 02-04-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be the first to admit that I prefer classic rock/80s pop/etc, but I know other people appreciate Metallica/Rush/etc. I don't mind the fact that they come out with good stuff every week, but this week really stinks IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.