Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any good FMV (full motion video) video games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-08, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Are there any good full motion video games out there now? The games that I am referring to have live actors that interact with you in some capacity. I remember when I was in college I played a large assortment like Under a Killing Moon, Supreme Warrior, Corpse Killer, Mad Dog McCree, Who Shot Johnny Rock, Voyeur 1 and 2 or even Slam City with Scottie Pippen.

Are any of the above games still around or are they all outdated? I think I still have a few DOS CD-Roms left for Crime Patrol and Drug Wars....Will these even work on my current PC?

I know controls and repetitiveness were a huge problem with alot of these games, but lately I have an itch to play one of these games again.

Is this type of video game outdated now with the current standards of X-Box 360, Playstation 3 and the PC?
Old 01-07-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Are there any good full motion video games out there now? The games that I am referring to have live actors that interact with you in some capacity. I remember when I was in college I played a large assortment like Under a Killing Moon, Supreme Warrior, Corpse Killer, Mad Dog McCree, Who Shot Johnny Rock, Voyeur 1 and 2 or even Slam City with Scottie Pippen.

Are any of the above games still around or are they all outdated? I think I still have a few DOS CD-Roms left for Crime Patrol and Drug Wars....Will these even work on my current PC?

I know controls and repetitiveness were a huge problem with alot of these games, but lately I have an itch to play one of these games again.

Is this type of video game outdated now with the current standards of X-Box 360, Playstation 3 and the PC?
Under a Killing Moon...

You'll still find an adventure game now and then, but if there is any FMV it's usually done with CG characters. I can't think of any that use real actors any more, sorry...
Old 01-07-08, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 01-07-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sherlock Holmes for the Sega CD was pretty good.

That's all I got.
Old 01-07-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Under a Killing Moon...

You'll still find an adventure game now and then, but if there is any FMV it's usually done with CG characters. I can't think of any that use real actors any more, sorry...
I loved this game and a couple of the other Tex Murphy games were alright.

I also liked Dracula Unleashed on the Sega CD.
Old 01-07-08, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, Night Trap... hello...

There's actually a FMV game coming out for the Wii:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/03/ko...r-home-to-wii/
Old 01-07-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
All for DOS PC's:

Phantasmagoria (1+2)
Ripper
Beast Within

None of them are current but all were great.
Old 01-07-08, 07:51 AM
Banned

FMV games with real-life actors was a fad of the mid-to-late 90s. 3d graphics looked like blocky legos back then, so real-life FMV looked amazing in comparison. I believe the fad started with Myst. People looked at that game and were like "OOHHH purty graphics" and the game sold millions upon millions of copies. Myst had stale gameplay and the puzzles were impossible to solve by a mere human without the use of a strategy guide. People didn't care though; they just wanted the "purty" real-life FMV graphics. So the new fad was born: tons of "purty" real-life FMV games with stale gameplay. Nowadays, 3d graphics have improved by leaps and bounds, so real-life FMV games have died off.

The one FMV game that I really enjoyed was Phantasmagoria. If you like the movie and/or novel "The Shining" then you will like Phantasmagoria since it is pretty much a clone of The Shining.

Phantasmagoria 2 was okay, but clearly a set down from the original. One thing I remember loving about the sequel was the nudity, which was pretty cool when I was a horny teenager...

I don't know if these games work on modern PCs or not. They were released in the late 90s as Win 95/98 games. One thing though, I believe most of these old FMV games were pretty low resolution, so they would most likely be ugly as hell on today's higher resolution monitors.

The latest game that I can remember to use real-life FMV would be Command & Conquer 3, although that game merely uses real-life FMV to keep with the tradition that every C&C games uses real-life FMV.
Old 01-07-08, 12:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this genre of games was a bit of a novelty, although there was a bit of charm to the passive style of gaming these games provided. I still remember being in awe of Dragon's Lair when I first saw it as a kid. I didn't notice the simplicity of the gameplay at first because I was so drawn in by the visuals.
Old 01-07-08, 12:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Myst had stale gameplay and the puzzles were impossible to solve by a mere human without the use of a strategy guide.
I played all the way through Myst without a guide or any other outside help.
Old 01-07-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within was easily the greatest FMV game of its time. I miss the Under A Killing Moon/Tex Murphy adventures, they were unique scifi noirs with great atmosphere, thats a series that needs a comeback.

Of course, thinking back to old adventure games just reminds me of Noctropolis, the first computer game I remember with FMV boobies.

I miss the adventure games of old, they were drenched in atmosphere you usually don't see these days (Rise of the Dragon, Kings Quest 6, Noctropolis, Under a Killing Moon, even Twinsen games had distinctive atmospheres to them).

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-07-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As has been pointed out already, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within is the best. And not just the best FMV game, but one of the best games ever. If you can find a copy, it runs fine of modern PC's.
Old 01-07-08, 10:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I enjoyed several of the American Laser Games FMV shooters like Mad Dog McCree (1 & 2) and Crime Patrol (1 & 2). These could definitely be updated to the new systems since they were originally laserdiscs, they could be remastered and the branching could be done a lot smoother, making the actual game better than the arcade versions. I have them all for my 3DO and it's still fun to play around with once in a while.
Old 01-07-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
As has been pointed out already, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within is the best. And not just the best FMV game, but one of the best games ever. If you can find a copy, it runs fine of modern PC's.
Hear hear! That game was dripping with atmosphere, and the music was just beautiful.

To the OP, if you're just looking for some more recent adventure games, there's a new Sam & Max that you can get off of Steam. It might be in stores now too...
Old 01-08-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It will play on a XP or Vista machine? Is a DOS emulator needed? Hmm, guess I'll have to try to find a copy. I'd love to play it again.
Old 01-08-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wasn't there a game called D or something like that.
Old 01-08-08, 09:26 AM
Suspended

List of FMV games:

http://www.fmvworld.com/games.html
Old 01-08-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sewer Shark

"Turn and Burn, Dogmeat!"
Old 01-08-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I forgot about Sewershark!
Old 01-08-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny you should make this thread. A friend and I (well actually a bunch of close friends now) were big fans of the FMV games, especially phantasmagoria, beast within and silent steel. We are actually working on our own FMV game, as a side project. Its not gonna be anything spectacular but it will be a fun indie FMV game.
Old 01-08-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Pretty good website. I like all the video clips as well....very good nostalgic factor.

Anyone know if the old DOS versions of the American Laser Games shooters would still work on modern PC's? I believe I have Mad Dog McCree 1 and 2, Space Pirates, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, and Who Shot Johnny Rock. I may have to dig those out from the garage if they do work.
Old 01-08-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty good website. I like all the video clips as well....very good nostalgic factor.

Anyone know if the old DOS versions of the American Laser Games shooters would still work on modern PC's? I believe I have Mad Dog McCree 1 and 2, Space Pirates, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, and Who Shot Johnny Rock. I may have to dig those out from the garage if they do work.

Google DOS Box. Should be able to play most of your old games with it. You will need the sound plugin though.
Old 01-08-08, 04:42 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
There was a FMV Zork game I recently played via GameTap. That was fun.