Mass Effect (360) - B

February
N/A

March
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) - B
Old 05-05-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
A new month. This year is crawling along for me compared to last year. Too many games with high replay value this year. Not that, that's a bad thing though.

Looked at my pile of shame last week when debating GTA and thought I would hold off because I have so many great ones to get too, but the hype got to me. Plus I had a bunch of gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. I also bought GTAIV & Mario Kart Wii and will be getting Boom Blox this week. So much for focusing on the pile.
Old 10-22-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I don't even remember the games I played this year so I'll just list and rank them as I think of them. The majority of the games are unfinished, so the ranking may change later.

Fable II A-
Saints Row 2 B+
Dead Space B
Tales of Vesperia B+
GTA IV A+
No More Heroes B+
Wii Fit B
Star Wars: TFU B+
Metal Gear Solid 4 A-
Lego Indiana Jones C+
Lego Batman B+
NHL 09 B+
MLB Power Pros 2008 A+
MLB 08: The Show A
Madden 09 C+
MLB 2k8 D
Lost Odyssey B+
Viva Pinata 2 B
Mercenaries 2 B+
Assassin's Creed B+
Call of Duty 4 A
Old 10-23-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Figured I'd go ahead and translate my list over to this format. Hopefully it doesn't go too much against the spirit of the thread to rank some games I haven't finished. It's more in my personality to rank a game once I've played enough of it to know how much I enjoy it, then update the ranking if needed when I finish it.

A+
Dead Space - 360 - Best gaming experience of the year so far. Most of the concepts aren't completely original, but they're brought together in a way that's just a blast to play. (60% finished)

Civilization Revolution - 360/DS - I've never played a Civilization game before, mainly because I'm a console gamer. I know some people complain about a lack of depth in this version, but it's perfect for me. Just enough strategy to make it challenging and fun, but not enough to make it a huge time investment. (finished except for achievements)

A
Grand Theft Auto IV - 360 - I tried GTA III on the PS2 and it never really resonated with me. For some reason, GTA IV really struck the right chord. Now I just need to find time to finish it. (30% finished)

No More Heroes - Wii - Great sense of humor, fun use of the Wii's controls and an adult (juvenile, but still...) game for the system. (75% finished)

Mario Kart Wii - Wii - For me Mario Kart is best as a multi-player experience with four people racing away and talking shit. Double Dash left me a little disappointed, but this game brings the series back up to its full potential. (finished except for a couple unlockables)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 360 - I'm not a huge fan of the story, but the controls are spot on this and you really do feel like a badass running around using the force. (30% finished)

B+
Lego Batman - 360 - Sure, it doesn't bring that much originality to the table, but it takes all the things that made Lego Star Wars a trip and puts them in the Batman universe. (70% finished)

Lego Indiana Jones - 360 - Again, nothing drastically different from previous Lego games, but with such a great formula, little differences are enough to make a game worth playing. (finished except for achievements)

B
Secret Agent Clank - PSP - I love just about everything Ratchet and Clank. (70% finished)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii - The co-op story mode really elevated this above its predecessor for me. (finished except for some unlockables)

Boom Blox - Wii - Incredibly simple and incredibly fun. A blast to play with a group, especially if you're all drinking. (finished except for some unlockables)

Braid - 360 - A really fun puzzle-platformer. I thought the story was over-rated, but the gameplay and creative visuals made up for it. (finished except for achievements)

God of War: Chains of Olympus - PSP - I'd only play the first God of War before this and Chains of Olympus definitely gives it a run for its money. (75% finished)

B-
Metal Gear Solid 4 - PS3 - MGS4 the game is great. MGS4 the movie sucks. Given that 3/4 of the experience is the movie, I found it to be pretty disappointing. (finished)

C+
Army of Two - 360 - Fun enough to play on co-op, but it's not good enough to overcome its lack of originality. (75% finished)

World of Goo - WiiVC - A neat idea for a puzzle game, but I find myself only able to enjoy it in short doses. (25% finished)

Dr. Mario Online - WiiVC - This is tough to rank. The original Dr. Mario would be an A+ for me, but I'm grading this based on what's new, which translates into not all that much. Definitely worth snagging for fans who no longer have access to the original. (finished)

Wii Fit - Wii - I love the idea of this game and it's a decent execution, but it just kind of rang hollow for me. (no idea on % finished, but I probably did 8 or 9 one-hour sessions on it)

C
Bionic Commando Rearmed - XBLA - Let me jump for fuck's sake. Otherwise, a nice cosmetic upgrade to the original. (30% finished)

C-
House of the Dead 2 & 3 - Wii - I loved RE:Umbrella Chronicles with the Wii Zapper and was hoping this would be more of the same. Unfortunately, it's more of an out-dated straight-up version of the arcade games. A little tweaking could've made this worlds better. (50% finished)

Jumper: Griffin's Story - 360 - Ok, the game's crap, but it's not near the crap it was made out to be. If you're an achievement whore, there are definitely less enjoyable ways to rack up 1000 points. (finished)

F-
Lost: Via Domus - 360 - I'd say this game isn't worth your money, but that implies it's worth playing if you got it free. That's not the case.

Pile of Shame
Fable II - 360 (0% finished)
Mega Man 9 - WiiVC (0% finished)
Devil May Cry 4 -360 (5% finished)
Ninja Gaiden II - 360 (5% finished)
Silent Hill: Homecoming - 360 (0% finished)
Blastworks - Wii (0% finished)
Nights: Journey of Dreams - Wii (0% finished)
Little Big Planet - PS3 (<5% finished)
Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty - PSN (0% finished)
Old 10-23-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Played/Not finished

Assassin's Creed - C
Burnout Paradise - B
Burnout Revenge - B
Condemned 2 : Bloodshot - B
God Of War : Chains of Olympus - A
GTAIV - A
House of the Dead 2 & 3 - C
Motorstorm - B
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - A
Resident Evil 4 - A
Resident Evil UC - B
Saints Row - B
Super Mario Galaxy - A
Super Smash Bros Brawl - C
Time Crisis 4 - D
Unchartered - A
Wii Fit – C

Not Started

Bourne Conspiracy
Bully
Buzz!
Dark Sector
Dead Space
GRID
Haze
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Kingdom Hearts II
MGS4
No More Heroes
Pure
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill 4

Last edited by mattysemo247; 10-23-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MLB The Show 08 - A
Awesome Addictive with great controls and tight gameplay the best baseball game ever
NCAA Football 09 - B
Still fun but lacks something the menus are very lackluster feels rushed
Spider-Man 3 - F
Repetitive, boring and rushed if only they would have concentrated on what was wrong with 2 and fixed it.
Assassin's Creed B+
Great controls and animation. excellent story but gets repetitive towards the end.
Oblivion - A So much to do a true life sucking game with an engaging storyline and and a huge game world
Call of Duty 4 - A+
As I call it Crack of Duty is the best online experience I have ever had. Single player is short but good way to get used to the controls.
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - B Good tactical shooter
Ratchet and Clank Future : Tools of Destruction - B+ Great platformer with a great story
Grand Theft Auto 4 A -
GTA with a truly tortured character
Bully - B-
open world gameplay at a school
Uncharted - B
Burnout Paradise - A-
lots of fun driving and smashing up cars
Civilization Revolution - B-
meh - novel at first but the advisors really wear out their welcome
Soul Calibur IV - B-
Fighter which gets old after a while
Gran Tourismo Prologue - B
its not Gran Turismo Completed
Metal Gear Solid 4 - A -
Beautiful - it's metal gear dammit - need I say more
SOCOM Confrontation - D Server issues are a big problem - steep learning curve lack of at least an offline tutorial make this a truly difficult game. not enough ranked matches ( matches where you gain stats to your profile) long load times and a lackof an invitation system make this game broken. Looks good when you get into a match
Old 12-20-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I doubt I'll have time to get through anything between now and the year's close (though I am about half way through Heavenly Sword, so we'll see), I decided to look over what's likely 2008's final tally and I'd say I had a pretty good year. A couple of really great games, only a couple mediocre ones. Not bad. What jumps out to me though, I beat more games in 08 than I did in 07, but not only did my pile of shame not get any smaller, it more the doubled...
Old 12-23-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
MichaelCorvin you finished CrossworDS along with 4 other games in one month? The Advanced word search takes quite a bit of time for each one. I'm about halfway done with just the word search, and still have all the crosswords to do and most of the anagrams.
Old 12-23-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
MichaelCorvin you finished CrossworDS along with 4 other games in one month? The Advanced word search takes quite a bit of time for each one. I'm about halfway done with just the word search, and still have all the crosswords to do and most of the anagrams.
No I didn't 'finish' Crosswords. Read the top post again. I consider non-games to be a "when I've got my money's worth" I'm calling it done situation. I don't see anyone finishing that game. I still play it, but for me, I have long since gotten my money's worth.

As for the month they are in, that doesn't necessarily mean I started it that month, just when I finished it.