Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best steering wheel for the 360? (check out the awesome gaming seat)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

A friend showed me a set-up that a fellow DVDTalker has and now I am seriously considering buying a gaming seat and steering wheel. I have to make a quick decision on this as the sale (includes a $60 gift certificate) at Amazon ends on December 23.

Here is the link to the gaming seat: http://www.amazon.com/Playseats-Evol...cm_cr_pr_acc_t

Badass, huh?

So I did a search and there were no really good threads discussing a wheel for the 360 that I could find. Anyone here have one or have tried out various ones (I am assuming there are more than one)? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-07, 11:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Quite badass. I wish I had the space.
Old 12-22-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's Microsoft wireless steering wheel and Logitech wired steering wheel for Xbox 360. I have MS wheel and loved it. I cannot say about Logitech (because I haven't tried it).

MS just released 2nd wave of wheels (it was sold out for 5 months) just yesterday. So, the new price is $99.95 instead of $129.95 originally. I know Logitech wheel sell for about 70 dollar or little more.
Old 12-22-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another question: Can you play all driving games on the 360 with the MS wheel? I already hae NFS: Most Wanted and Burnout Revenge and would love to be able to play those with that wheel.

edited to add: Here is the list of what "Fully" supports the wheel ( http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...ssracingwheel/ ). The games above are not listed but I am assuming they will work, just without the force feedback, correct?

Last edited by Spiderbite; 12-22-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. It depends on what game have programmed with Force Feedback. It seems only 7 racing games so far - we can assumed there more later in the future.

I have used it on NASCAR 08, Forza 2, PGR 3 (included when you purchase the wheel), and DiRT. It's great with MS wheel and very responsive. I tried it on few racing that does not have Force Feedback programmed in it, it seems working well, but not very responsive as FF programmed does. I compared NASCAR 06 on original Xbox and on 360 (it's BC), it feel almost same. I don't have any FF programmed original Xbox racing game that I cannot comparing the difference.

What's other advantage with MS wheel that it will work on Windows (if you buy special device for it).
Old 12-23-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't screw around with that crap. Go for the ultimate setup.

Old 12-23-07, 01:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Finally, a reason to buy lottery tickets.
Old 12-23-07, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh gee...thanks a lot edstein.

I was kinda proud of the seat I just ordered. Now it sucks.

Looks like Amazon and everyone else is still out of stock on the revised MS wheel. Was doing some searches and it looks like they may not be arriving until the middle of January.
Old 12-23-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's available at Amazon.com, but it's sold by Beach Audio. But at $111 - that sucks.

Edit to add: There's available at Gamestop for $99.99.
Old 12-23-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
There's available at Amazon.com, but it's sold by Beach Audio. But at $111 - that sucks.

Edit to add: There's available at Gamestop for $99.99.
Yeah, I think amazon is just out of stock right now. I think I may wait until I get the $60 GC for Amazon in and hopefully they will have the stock by then. If not, it's off to Gamestop I go. Damn, I'm excited.

I showed the chair to my wife on line and asked her how much she thought it would be total (chair plus steering wheel). She responded $1500. That made stating $250 (after the GC is applied) all the easier. It's nice when your wife doesn't have a clue how much stuff like this costs.

Thanks for the responses McHawkson.

By the way, do you know if PGR3 was left off of the new MS wheel packages? I didn't see it mentioned as included on the xbox website or anywhere else I looked. Guess it maybe got dropped with the price break?
Old 12-23-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm... When I first got it and the PGR 3 was included and the manual says I must insert PGR 3 to "install the driver" to make the wheel working before I can use it. Maybe XBL already updated all 360s to make the wheel working - I don't know.

I should get my newer wheel by tomorrow or later this week, I will check the box and let you know.
Old 12-23-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I should get my newer wheel by tomorrow or later this week, I will check the box and let you know.
I would appreciate that. Thanks!

So...no one else here owns a steering wheel for the 360? Or is it just dead because it is a holiday weekend?
Old 12-26-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they dumped including PGR3 with the wheel according to a press release that was in my paper on Monday. It mentions the price dropby $30 and says it "now comes bundled with a driver disc and a demo of Forza Motorsport 2 including full force feedback support."

So you save at least 10 bucks by taking PGR3 out if you still buy it on its own (it was the title I got with the seat from Amazon to get the $60 GC. PGR3 was $18.99 thru them).

Looks like I got lucky and got in on the right time. The seat has now jumped back up to $299 and no $60 GC either.

I still haven't bought a wheel yet so any impressions from anyone else would be helpful.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 12-26-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-26-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Looks like they dumped including PGR3 with the wheel according to a press release that was in my paper on Monday. It mentions the price dropby $30 and says it "now comes bundled with a driver disc and a demo of Forza Motorsport 2 including full force feedback support."
Umm, that's interesting. I still haven't got my new wheel, yet.
Old 12-26-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Don't screw around with that crap. Go for the ultimate setup.
No clutch pedal = no sale.

Just kidding. That does look awesome. Here's my setup which works well for me (I have no room for one of those authentic gaming seats)...

Last edited by rennervision; 12-26-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-26-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I love driving games, I almost always drive automatic. If I had a decent setup with a clutch pedal I would probably change that philosophy though.
Old 12-26-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had similar setup on my PC couple years ago and used the manual setting Man, it was tough for me - especially I can't hear the motor. I always look at RPM meter to make sure I don't exceed the RPM limit before I change the shift.

I would switch to manual (which I always drive automatic with MS wheel), if they add clutch pedal on it.
Old 12-26-07, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a Gt cockpit I made a couple of years ago.

More cockpits can be found here.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...board/message?
Old 12-27-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's not bad ^____^

yeah, i missed the deal when the seat was $160, darn it!

new year resolution #15, save money for a gaming station like in post #6. It's not that expensive if you just want one screen and one X360 or PS3. The whole project probably gonna cost around $1500-$2000. Of course, i have make room in the basement first...
Old 12-27-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spider,

I have played a lot with the chair and PGR4, and it's completely awesome. Forza 2 is a little more frustrating since it's less forgiving.

The problem IMO is that the games' difficulty is calibrated to the controller, and it's a lot easier to move a thumbstick 1" than it is to move a wheel 10". That being said, it's much more fun than the controller for me. It feels A LOT like a sit-down arcade machine. If you are going to be super competitive online, I am not sure it's as easy to do perfect runs, but I think it's a lot more fun.

BTW, I am just using velcro to hold the wheel down, and it's working well enough for me. The velcro included with the seat is crazy strong. The new wheel might be better, but the old one sucks for mounting to anything, especially the small pedestal the seat comes with.

I had stuck the wheel in the closet and would have never played it again, but the chair has made it super fun finally!
Old 12-28-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I received my newest MS wheel (I promised myself not to pull wrong plug that caused connection problem between wheel and pedals )...

No PGR 3 - just a demo disc of Forza 2. So, there's the answer.
Old 12-28-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Thanks for the info. Amazon has it in stock now and priced at $95 with free shipping and no tax. Going to go ahead and order it thru them. Gimme any and all suggestions on games for it.

Mchawkson (and others): when using the wheel, do you always play 1st person or do you play third person?
Old 12-28-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've played Forza 2, NASCAR 08, and PGR 3 with the wheel... PGR 3 is easy and great for steering practice. Forza 2 has semi simulation racing, not very learning curve. It took me a while to complete all racing challenges. NASCAR 08 is fun and difficult to play, but full of bugs and dumb AI.

DiRT is other game that has FF programmed, but I haven't tried it with steering (just controller). It's great game and really challenge racing game.

To let you know about MS wheel, since it can run with battery. However, it disabled the FF - so, you will have to hook up the AC power (come with wheel) in order to get FF working.

I'm not sure what you mean about 1st & 3rd person, I assume you meant visual preference. It depends on which game - PGR 3, I use "helmet vision" meaning you're inside the car. NASCAR 08, I use roof vision. Forza 2, I use vehicle nose vision.
Old 12-29-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We were selling something similar to the seat in the original post at work a lot cheaper than that, although it had a hard seat. Can't tell if the one in the original post is cusioned or not. When you think about it, it's just welded pipes and metal.
Old 12-29-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fmian
We were selling something similar to the seat in the original post at work a lot cheaper than that, although it had a hard seat. Can't tell if the one in the original post is cusioned or not. When you think about it, it's just welded pipes and metal.
Yeah, welded pipes and metal that I couldn't make even if I went to college for it. I am a retard when it comes to creating things like this. Mainly why I never even attempted to build an Arcade cabinet and things like that. Handyman I am not.

McHawkson: Yeah that is what I meant. Your point of view that you use while driving with the wheel. I always use the 3rd person view (you see the car from behind) but i figured when using the wheel that 1st person would be the opne likely used (behind the wheel or from the windshield view). Very interesting that you use a completely different view for each game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.