Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So we got a Wii for Christmas. What are some essentials and games to get now?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife wanted a Wii for Christmas more for a family gift than for herself. She doesn't know I was lucky enough to actually get one today. She was expecting after Christmas. Anyway....

I picked up 2 nunchucks, Wii Play, Charging station, and Super Mario Galaxy.

We have a 5 and 6 year old. What are some things we should look into for family play. Things they could possibly play that we'd all enjoy? Also is there anything else I should consider as a must have?

tia
Old 12-20-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You currently have 1 too many nunchucks or 1 too few Wiimotes.

I honestly think that between Wii Sports, Wii Play, and SMG you guys will be set for a long time. I wouldn't recommend getting anything else in the short term.
Old 12-20-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you need one nunchuck for each Wiimote? I'll have 2 each. A Wiimote comes with the Wii Play package I got. Sorry, I just assumed it was always that way?
Old 12-20-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The system comes with a nunchuck...by my count, you have two Wiimotes and three nunchucks if you picked up two additional...
Old 12-20-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well shucks. Oh well. I can always return one. But I might as well keep it and get another Wiimote down the road right? Is there much available for 3 or 4 remotes?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm not much of a gamer. I think I'll enjoy the Wii though. It'll give me a chance to really play something fun with my kids.

Last edited by kantonburg; 12-20-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 09:37 PM

Great games?

Super Mario Galaxy (By far the best)
Super Paper Mario
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Mario Party 8 (It's better than most say)
Rayman Raving Rabids (1 & 2)
Cars
Cars: Maternational
Big Brain Academy
The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
Carnival Games (Minimal Experience but fun)
Guitar Hero 3
NiGHTS: Journey Into Dreams
Old 12-20-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm not much of a gamer. I think I'll enjoy the Wii though. It'll give me a chance to really play something fun with my kids.
Nintendo wins once again.

I still can't believe people mocked and doubted the Wii when it was first announced. I thought it was a genius move from the very start.

Have fun with the system, I'm pretty sure you'll all have a ball with it. There's already a ton of games out there for families to play together, as you can see.
Old 12-20-07, 11:30 PM

^ agreed.

id recommend mario strikers charged. ive put alot of hours into this game as well as the gamecube version.

also if your into it, harry potter. the controls are great and there is a lot to explore and if your a potter fan than you'll like it.

metroid prime 3, fun shooter, plus if youve played metroid games you will like it.

zelda twilight - as mentioned above, its a good game
Old 12-21-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
^ agreed.

id recommend mario strikers charged. ive put alot of hours into this game as well as the gamecube version.

also if your into it, harry potter. the controls are great and there is a lot to explore and if your a potter fan than you'll like it.

metroid prime 3, fun shooter, plus if youve played metroid games you will like it.

zelda twilight - as mentioned above, its a good game
For the record I have played the Wii, once. I did enjoy it. So yeah Nintendo wins again.

I haven't played Metroid since the first game for the original Nintendo. Classic.

I'm excited though. I am glad that the basic Wii Sports comes with the console. That will be great for the kids to learn on. For me just the mere fact that they can create a character that basically resembles themselves is golden.
Old 12-21-07, 07:48 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
I'd say that you're set too. WiiPlay, WiiSports, and SMG will do you quite well for a long time.

TRU has a B3G1 deal right now (I know it's not much), but if you wanted to pick 4 more games, I would recommend Mario Party 8, Zack and Wiki, Twilight Princess, and Excite Truck.
Old 12-21-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I highly recommend Mario Party 8, and Marble Mania (the marble game has sold 5 of my friends to get Wii's)
Old 12-21-07, 10:41 AM

Have to suggest Excite Truck - that game's a blast!
Old 12-21-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, some games like Wii Sports Tennis support up to 4 players simultaneously. (But you'll need a lot of room for everyone to swing!) I forget if any of the Wii Play games have more than 2 player support. Many games are 2-player, tho.

Tigger has a good list above for many fun family-type games. Although Wii Sports, SMG, and Wii Play will last for a while by themselves. (Wait, Goldberg already said that! ) I would add WarioWare to the mix. Lots of fast, fun mini-games using the motion detection.
Old 12-21-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drmoze
(Wait, Goldberg already said that! )
What am I, white noise?
Old 12-21-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
smg and wii sports is a good start.. let them digest those for awhile before you run out and get more games..

you might want the rechargeable batteries, and recharging docks.. those are pretty cheap on most bargain sites..
maybe a standard type controller, so you dont have to deal with the wii controllers (which suck for regular games)...
if you have an old gamecube, you can use one of those controllers and gamecube games

you may want to get a GC for the online content.. you have access to most older nintendo titles, so you can let the kids each pick out a 'classic' game

i actually would have skipped wii play.. we tried each game once and then stuck it aside.. it was a good purchase, to get the controller.. but we didnt find any of the games playable
Old 12-21-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
The system comes with a nunchuck...by my count, you have two Wiimotes and three nunchucks if you picked up two additional...
Are you guys sure? My 2 friends with Wii's said they dont come with the nunchuck....only the remote. Maybe the newer ones come with it? They got theirs last xmas.
Old 12-21-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My launch one came with a nunchuck.
Old 12-21-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
mine came with a nunchuck
Old 12-21-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hmm.....ill guess ill find out Monday.....they both have one and said it didnt, but I always thought they did!
Old 12-21-07, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by REL77
I highly recommend Mario Party 8, and Marble Mania (the marble game has sold 5 of my friends to get Wii's)
Is Marble Mania that good? I've been a huge fan of the Monkey Ball series (I bought a GC on the strength of 1 + 2), but the reviews for Marble Mania were fairly lackluster.

I'd add Monkey Ball Banana Blitz to the list. While not as good as the first two, I still can't get enough rolling monkeys around... It was the main draw for me getting a Wii.
Old 12-21-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check Target for Excite Truck---clearanced for $12.48 but may be hard to find now

Grab a classic controller and return the other nunchuck, you'll need it for the VC games

My kids (6 & 3) have:

Carnival Games
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
WiiSports
WiiPlay

I have gotten the kids the following for Xmas:

Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga
Petz: Horsez 2 (yeah, I know)

(Mario = the fun for kids)

Last edited by hail2dking; 12-21-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-21-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by hardcore

I'd add Monkey Ball Banana Blitz to the list. While not as good as the first two, I still can't get enough rolling monkeys around... It was the main draw for me getting a Wii.
Eh. From the sounds of it Kanton never had a Gamecube so I'd highly recommend Monkey Ball 1 or 2 over the Banana Blitz crapfest. You would need a classic controller or a Wavebird though.

I whole-heartedly agree with Excite Truck and Rayman Raving Rabbids. Both are a blast to play.

Also Bomberman '93 off the Virtual Console. I think it is about $8.
Old 12-21-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
My wife wanted a Wii for Christmas more for a family gift than for herself. She doesn't know I was lucky enough to actually get one today. She was expecting after Christmas. Anyway....

I picked up 2 nunchucks, Wii Play, Charging station, and Super Mario Galaxy.

We have a 5 and 6 year old. What are some things we should look into for family play. Things they could possibly play that we'd all enjoy? Also is there anything else I should consider as a must have?

tia

Mario Party, Legend of Zelda, raving rabbids.
Old 12-21-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excite Truck looks cool. It seems to be $49.99 eveywhere. Is that the going rate besides the Target clearance?
Old 12-21-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Are you guys sure? My 2 friends with Wii's said they dont come with the nunchuck....only the remote. Maybe the newer ones come with it? They got theirs last xmas.
The system definitely comes with a nunchuck...boxing in Wii Sports requires it, and Nintendo isn't in the business of not providing the necessary hardware to play their biggest draw....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.