Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Is this game in fact entitled Rock Band? Then why can't I make my own Super group? If I choose to load my solo career and pick my vocalist, then why doesn't the game fill out my band with my user created guitarist and drummer? Why do I have to have the retarded looking default ones? Same goes the other way around as well, if I pick my drummer or guitarist solo.

end rant.
Old 12-30-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
They seem to be just patterns. They don't seem to match the note or the rhythm. I'm probably more sensitive to this given my guitar playing experience.

Adam, what did you end up buying? I got a DW Airlift. Cost almost as much as the game itself, but I figure that I can use it when I play my (real) guitar too.
Odd, I always felt a much bigger disconnect in GH3's expert mode as compared to RBs, but ah well, to each their own I suppose.
Old 12-30-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Odd, I always felt a much bigger disconnect in GH3's expert mode as compared to RBs, but ah well, to each their own I suppose.
I think the GH3 charts are extremely well done. They seem very logical given the actual playing of a song on a real guitar. A silly exposition I suppose, given the dichotomy.

I will say that I have been playing the DLC tracks for RB and they are EXCELLENT. Dead on for the most part. Bravo to HX for those.
Old 12-30-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of DLC, what's next on the list? I've bought most everything from the recent content. Full albums soon? What artists?

And FTLOG, when I can play Master of Puppets on drums in RB?
Old 12-30-07, 11:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The full albums I've heard announced are Who's Next by The Who, Nevermind by Nirvana, and one of the Grateful Dead albums, though I can't remember which ones.
Old 12-30-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Speaking of DLC, what's next on the list? I've bought most everything from the recent content. Full albums soon? What artists?

And FTLOG, when I can play Master of Puppets on drums in RB?
When they release the metal pedal
Old 12-31-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Nevermind by Nirvana
Fucking awesome!

Just curious, but do you guys think that there will ever be a price break on some of the DLC. I would like to get Juke Box Hero, Buddy Holly, etc. but don't really want to pay 2 bucks for one song. You think they will ever price reduce songs down to the 80 point range or will they sit forever at the same price ala GHII?
Old 12-31-07, 04:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure there will be sales and such at some point.
Old 12-31-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree. They definitely seem more aggressive on the DLC front. And they have to be since GHIII is kicking their ass six ways from Sunday, sales-wise.

That's why I'm holding off. With last week's sale and the rumored sale this week, I'm holding off on the others I want for a discount like Metallica, Queens of the Stone Age and some of the singles.

Which reminds me, we were discussing how to avoid Metallica in the world tour mystery setlists if you download it and I came up with a fix. Save all your 'mystery' sets to do at the same time and delete the songs off your drive before you tackle them and re-download them later. Not a perfect way to do it, but easily manageable.
Old 12-31-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which reminds me, we were discussing how to avoid Metallica in the world tour mystery setlists if you download it and I came up with a fix. Save all your 'mystery' sets to do at the same time and delete the songs off your drive before you tackle them and re-download them later. Not a perfect way to do it, but easily manageable.
If you can't handle the Metallica songs, then why have them? Videos of at least the guitar charts are available on youtube almost instantly by the ScoreHero crew, so you can always check those out before you lay down those MS Points. Our band is fearful of no song, at least as a guitar/bass combo. We're probably going to be going through endless setlist again on vocals/drums Expert soon, so that we can have a full platinum band as well.
Old 12-31-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can handle them, but if you want to get through multiple song setlists, I, personally don't want 2-3 8 minute tracks in there.

I mostly want them for quickplay or my custom setlists.
Old 12-31-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Fucking awesome!

Just curious, but do you guys think that there will ever be a price break on some of the DLC. I would like to get Juke Box Hero, Buddy Holly, etc. but don't really want to pay 2 bucks for one song. You think they will ever price reduce songs down to the 80 point range or will they sit forever at the same price ala GHII?
Buddy Holly is worth your $2. It's very fun on all three instruments.
Old 12-31-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
When they release the metal pedal
Not a problem for me. I bought the carbon fiber reinforcement on eBay:

Old 12-31-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Is this game in fact entitled Rock Band? Then why can't I make my own Super group? If I choose to load my solo career and pick my vocalist, then why doesn't the game fill out my band with my user created guitarist and drummer? Why do I have to have the retarded looking default ones? Same goes the other way around as well, if I pick my drummer or guitarist solo.

end rant.
I agree - one of my biggest problems with the game, actually.
Old 12-31-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Buddy Holly is worth your $2. It's very fun on all three instruments.
That's what I was afraid of!

Josh, how much was that reinforcement? I saw some metal ones on ebay for $15 plus shipping but I hate to keep sinking more and more money into this game.

I am already looking at getting anti-vibe drum sticks and a drum stool. I already bought a guitar strap, DLC, and a guitar skin sticker (returned it though). They don't warn you of all the other things this game makes you want to buy after the $170 investment.
Old 12-31-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
That's what I was afraid of!

Josh, how much was that reinforcement? I saw some metal ones on ebay for $15 plus shipping but I hate to keep sinking more and more money into this game.

I am already looking at getting anti-vibe drum sticks and a drum stool. I already bought a guitar strap, DLC, and a guitar skin sticker (returned it though). They don't warn you of all the other things this game makes you want to buy after the $170 investment.
The carbon fiber plate was $36 shipped. Pricey yes, but I'm holding back on the drum kick as it is because of the problems with breakage. The guy told me I could run my car over it and not break it. I may not test that theory out though

Between my throne, new sticks and the kick drum, I think I'm just as much into the game in accessories as I was with the SE itself.
Old 12-31-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I was watching the most recent Judd apatow video on Funnyordie.com and liked that it starts off with Jonah Hill, Justin Long, Paul Rudd and the black guy from the office (sorry he is not a name player yet) are sitting around playing rockband. On PS3. With 4 people. Looks like having 2 hit movies in one year allows you to have the open income to buy a second kit just for the extra guitar.
Old 12-31-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
I was watching the most recent Judd apatow video on Funnyordie.com and liked that it starts off with Jonah Hill, Justin Long, Paul Rudd and the black guy from the office (sorry he is not a name player yet) are sitting around playing rockband. On PS3. With 4 people. Looks like having 2 hit movies in one year allows you to have the open income to buy a second kit just for the extra guitar.
Considering what the game, mic and drum kit are going for on eBay, the guitar is basically free.
Old 12-31-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Considering what the game, mic and drum kit are going for on eBay, the guitar is basically free.
I put my guitar up on ebay last night. I can't stand it, and won't be using it, so no need for it to collect dust, when it could be collecting $$$.
Old 12-31-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone who does use the Strat using the solo buttons? I'm trying to teach myself to use them when I can catch a solo in time, but I think I'm regressing in terms of how I'm playing on Expert. I'm struggling to do well on songs that I had 4 or 5 starred previously, even when they don't even have solos.
Old 12-31-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Is anyone who does use the Strat using the solo buttons? I'm trying to teach myself to use them when I can catch a solo in time, but I think I'm regressing in terms of how I'm playing on Expert. I'm struggling to do well on songs that I had 4 or 5 starred previously, even when they don't even have solos.
I do. I developed this technique where I lightly press down with my index finger as I slide up to the solo buttons. Then I can quickly feel where the green 12th fret is. The scale is not too far off of a real strat, so I'm used to that distance.

Can't do it for every song. Sometimes I get stuck there for the remainder of the song.
Old 12-31-07, 12:35 PM

I just use the solo buttons for the ending bonus since you don't have to strum. Can't seem to get the hang of them for the solos.
Old 12-31-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I put my guitar up on ebay last night. I can't stand it, and won't be using it, so no need for it to collect dust, when it could be collecting $$$.
I may do the same. I hate that stupid thing.
Old 12-31-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
I may do the same. I hate that stupid thing.
They've been going between $60 and $90 depending on the seller, and whether it is open or not. Mine's unopened so it would be nice to see $90. That would make my cost out of pocket for the whole bundle about $10.
Old 12-31-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it bad that my foot hurts after playing drums for about 10 minutes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.