Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Your personal top 10 of all time [chat]

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
In no particular order:

Anarchy Online (PC)- This game was my introduction into MMORPG's back in 2002 and I still play and enjoy it to this day.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2) - This game just totally blew me away with how rediculously fun it was. Still my favorite of the series.

Guitar Hero 2 (360) - Everyone knows how fun and addictive these games are, so no explanation necessary.

Shenmue (Dreamcast)- Played through this one again recently, such a great game/experience.

Tomb Raider (PS2) - I still remember picking this game up on a whim at Wal-Mart one day all those years ago not knowing anything about it and enjoying the hell out of it.
Old 12-12-07, 02:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Crusader: No Remorse (PC)
2. Deus Ex (PC)
3. Outlaws (PC)
4. Ecco the Dolphin (Gen)
5. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
6. Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
7. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Gen)
8. Space Harrier (SMS)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Gen)
10. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (PC)
11. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
12. Half-Life (PC)
13. DOOM (PC)
14. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
15. Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
16. Thief II: The Metal Age (PC)
17. HeXen (PC)
18. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (PC)
19. Legend of Legaia (PSX)
20. Arcus Odyssey (Gen)

Okay, okay, I couldn't stop at ten...
Old 12-12-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFGokuSSJ1
1. Crusader: No Remorse (PC)
2. Deus Ex (PC)
3. Outlaws (PC)
4. Ecco the Dolphin (Gen)
5. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
6. Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
7. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Gen)
8. Space Harrier (SMS)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Gen)
10. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (PC)

Okay, okay, I couldn't stop at ten...
easy fix.
Old 12-12-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Crusader was awesome, I wish there was another sequel.
Old 12-12-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super Mario World
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GTA: Vice City
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Brothers 3
Nintendo 64 Wrestling game ( I forget which one)
Super Mario Galaxy
Twisted Metal 2
Super Mario Kart
Old 12-12-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All-time top 10, in no particular order:

X-Com (PC)
Fallout (PC)
FF VIII (PS2...and no, the "VIII" is not a typo)
Lakers vs. Bulls (Genesis)
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
Doom (PC)
COD 2 (360)
R6: Vegas (360)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Tetris (GB)
Old 12-12-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GoldenEye (N64) - The greatest game ever. I had everyone from the neighborhood playing at my house nearly everyday after school.

Doom (PC) - The greatest PC experience I ever had.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - I beat this game over and over again. Then I got the Sonic & Knuckles add-on and beat it all over again as Knuckles.

Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) - The reason why I bought a PS2 and the best game I played on the system.

Soul Calibur/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast) - I put these 2 together because I played the hell out of them both. Truly great games, I have very fond memories of the Dreamcast. It is truly sad that the system was a failure as it had some of the greatest games I ever played.
Old 12-12-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd KILL for someone to release Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Xbox Live or something. I mean, come on, it'd be sooooooooooo worth it.
Old 12-12-07, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Crusader was awesome, I wish there was another sequel.
Check out my Crusader website... www.echosector.com
Old 12-12-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Baldurs Gate 2 PC - Totally engrossing, some freedom for exploration and dialog choices, interesting party relationship dynamics, glorious 2d graphics, maybe 60-80 hours for a single play through.

Suikoden 2 PS1- Outstanding traditional 2D graphics, and soundtrack. Despite the ridiculously large cast, many of the characters were still engaging. Also, probably the best story and ending(s!) of any japanese rpg I've played. The turn based combat was kind of uninteresting but each battle is over so quickly it doesn't get in the way of the rest of the game like so many other japanese rpgs.

Warcraft 2 PC - This was one Blizzard RTS where the races weren't balanced, but the multiplayer was incredible, with so many varied strategies. I spent more than 2 years playing in competitive online leagues for this game, maybe the biggest time sink for me of any game, ever.

Streets of Rage 2 Gen - Still the best scrolling fighter ever to this day, hands down. Those big chunky sprites still have a lot of charm, and the soundtrack uses the best of the Yamaha chips abilities to create a pulsing beat.

Halo Xbox - Pretty much better graphics than any PC shooter of the time at the day of it's release (although that didn't last long). Amazing production values, nailed the twin stick control scheme, glorious alien environments, fun gameplay with an inspired 2 weapon limitation. 2 player split screen co-op some of the best fun ever in a video game.

Silent Hill 2 PS2 - My favourite survival horror game, incredible atmosphere with an outstanding soundtrack, and completely non cliche storyline had me engaged.

Guild Wars PC - Kind of MMO lite, but the limit of the 8 skill bar and ability to access nearly all equipment and skills just by PVP play made the PVP part of this game extremely accessible. The single player was a light diversion in comparison but still I had a lot of fun with it.

Star Control 2 PC - Incredible graphics and soundtrack, hilarious character animations and dialog. The combination of 2d top down action shooter, along with space exploration/rpg elements seemed revolutionary at the time.

Mario Kart 64 N64 - 4 player racing in this game would be almost be my best multiplayer experience of all time. So much fun that some of the shocking slowdown was hardly an issue at all.

Top Spin Xbox - The closest any video game has come to simulating tennis as it's actually played.

Last edited by Chris_D; 12-12-07 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ill be the first to admit I was always behind a generation when it came to videogames as my family never really had the money so when i finally got around to the big games for lets say n64 i wasnt as interested. and while i will agree game like metroid, Halo, super mario world, etc are all great games my list is mostly based on amount of dumb fun to be had or memories that go along with it.

God of War - before this came out i pretty much lost interest in videogames, but for some reason i was sick and ended up renting this at the store and played thru the entire game in one sitting since i couldnt leave my bed anyway. this game was perfect imo where it was challenging but not cheap and looked amazing. the sequal is just as amazing.

Duck Hunt - as someone mentioned this was the only game me and my family played together for endless hours in the winter months. i till think when they packaged this and smb in with the nes was the best packaged deal any console ever had.

Gears of War - I just got my 360 and this was the second game i picked up for it. it looked amazing and as Im not a big fan of fps I loved the route this game took. only complaint i would have is how short this game is but it just gave me more reasons to replay it. then i found out how awesome co op was with my neighbor made it a whole
new experience.

Mike Tyson's Puch out - other then duckhunt this was the game that warrented an nes purchase i still play this game to this day. best part was i SUCKED at it but i still had fun getting my ass kicked by joe glass when i was younger.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - I am a 2d junkie so it was hard picking one title to represent the genre was tough but id say this game easily logged in the most hours.

Animal Crossing - my fondest memories of in high school playing this game my brother in law walked in *and hes a bigger nerd then me with his star wars crap* watched me play for a min and I qoute "dude are you fucking serious...can we play tekken or something you just spent 15 mins picking berries from trees to buy a chair for your manduck looking things house" i loved that game and it became more of a contest with my and my nieces playing it. my brother in law still refers to the berry picking game and the fact i use to play it.

Resident Evil - ii remember christmas day my nieghbor got this game with his new shiny psx i didnt even care about playing i was just in amazement on the graphics and the fact on how story driven the game was. being a horror fan this game opened me up to survival horror thats easily my most played genre.

Guitar Hero - i laughed when i first saw my friends playing this game...and i wont claim to be an amazing guitar player but jesus this game was harder then when i learned to play real guitar. turned out to be damn addictive.

Jet Grind Radio - the original got me to buy a dreamcast bc i loved the style of this game and just had to play ended up loving it...bought my xbox bc of the sequal.

Katamari Demacy - i knew nothing bout this title till i picke dup the box at ebgames and was so confused on the idea of this game i said screw it for 20$ itll be amusing for a lil while. ended up being an awesome game and have played ever version that has come out.

Honorable mention:
decap ATTACK - i think im the only one that has ever played this game...the idea of a lil headless mummy thing walking around killing you with hisguts was amazing. i got this game in like 5$ bin at rite aid or some shit back in the day and still to this day has yet to meet anyone who ever played it.

Wii Sports/Play - made my family play videogames again but edged it out in favor of the original duck hunt.

Oblivion - may possibly be the greatest game out there however im not too far into it and while i am enjoying it to pieces far to early to throw it in a top ten.

Dead Rising - the game i BOUGHT my 360 for. the fact i can just be stuck int a room of zombies wearing teddy bear masks or road cones while i shoot nerfballs at em while wearing my space rangers helmet amazes me. however lol this game would be so much better if i could READ the effin text
Old 12-13-07, 06:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I know I've posted this sort of thing before, but I'm a sucker for a trip down memory lane.

GTA Vice City. Most profound gaming experience of my entire life.

X-Wing. Doing what I'd dreamed about for over ten years.

Interstate '76. Took me back to my childhood in the 70's.

Day of the Tentacle. Taught me that games could be funny and fun.

Doom. FPS games have been my favorite kind ever since.

Freedom Force. I'm still heavily involved with it nearly 6 years later.

Crazy Climber. An unexplainable obsession in my teenage years.

ADD&D Curse of the Azure Bonds. My first and still favorite RPG.

Space Wars. An arcade game that was my first multiplayer experience (outside of Pong). I realized at the time I was looking into the future of gaming.

Battle Chess (Mac version). The first game I worked on professionally where I let my full creativeness loose.
Old 12-21-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Mike Tyson's Puch out - other then duckhunt this was the game that warrented an nes purchase i still play this game to this day. best part was i SUCKED at it but i still had fun getting my ass kicked by joe glass when i was younger.
You may be the only person I know of who ever lost to Glass Joe. It was hard enough just getting him to throw a punch at Little Mac, let alone lose to him.
Old 12-21-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1 - Dragon Warrior (Quest) IV (NES) - I love the individual chapters, which follow each character's individual story, creating the best developed characters in a NES-era RPG and a very cool RPG story, even if a bit cliched.

2 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Win98/XP) - Incredibly long strategic RPG with a sense of humor and near infinite replay value.

3- Civilization IV. (PC) The best Civ EVER. Supplanted Civ2 in my favorites list.

4 - Master of Magic (PC- DOS) - Basically Civilization with strategic combat and magic spells. Greatness.

5 - Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Square RPG perfection. All there is to say.

6 - Super Mario World - SNES - Nintendo platformer perfection. And I don't even really like platformers.

7 - Quake 2 (Win98/XP) - Man, did I love LAN games of this in college. Especially CTF.

8 - Devil May Cry (PS2) - Revitalized the action/adventure genre for me, I gave up on them when they moved to 3D.

9 - Betrayal at Krondor - (PC- DOS ) An excellent free-roaming kind of RPG with a really good story. But not too free-roaming which I get bored with.

10 - Final Fantasy VI - RPG perfection, as long as you don't power-tweak to get all of your characters throwing heals and Ultima. That has been a flaw in every FF since FF6 (except FF9).

Honorable mention: Gears of War . I haven't liked multiplayer in a game this much since Quake 2. I dunno if it has legs yet though. I've been playing it reguarly for less than a year.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-22-07 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-21-07, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
You may be the only person I know of who ever lost to Glass Joe. It was hard enough just getting him to throw a punch at Little Mac, let alone lose to him.

Glass Joe did have one win. I believe his record was 1-99. We now know where that one win came from.
Old 12-21-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I totally have to agree with Master of Magic as well as Freedom Force. Both were incredible games.
Old 12-21-07, 07:02 PM

Here are my 10 favorite games ever:

1. Battlefield 1942
2. Monopoly Tycoon
3. Half-Life
4. NBA 2k8
5. Tom Clancy Rainbow Six
6. Warcraft II
7. Command and Conquer
8. Baseball Mogul 2008
9. Risk II
10. Gazillionaire
10. Heroes of Might and Magic III
Old 12-21-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Glass Joe did have one win. I believe his record was 1-99. We now know where that one win came from.

I almost felt bad kicking his ass time after time....almost
Old 12-21-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Final Fantasy VIII - After seeing commercials for FFVIII, I bought a PSX so I could play this game. I was not disappointed. Storytelling and characters like I had never experienced in a game. This game totally changed what I expected and wanted in a game. FFX is probably better as a game, but in terms of impact on me, this was #1!

2. Final Fantasy X - amazing graphics, great characters, a moving story...I spent over 200 hours beating every creature in the game! This was why I bought a PS2!

3. Final Fantasy XII - another great Final Fantasy, with a streamlined battle system (no random battles!)...but I missed the lack of a love story like in FFX and FFVIII (call me a sucker for a romance!)

4. Wolfenstein 3D - revolutionized gaming; from that first Shareware episode, I was hooked! Loved Doom, Quake, etc. after, but this is what started it all!

5. Jade Empire - a great story that hooked me from the get-go. I played this game (the PC version) through faster than any other! Could.not.stop!

6. Wii Sports - totally new way to play games...with the Wii hardware of course. So, maybe it's more the console than the game, but, hey, they got it right, despite crappy graphics and unresponsive boxing. The bowling especially is great!

7. Virtua Tennis - I spent hours playing this game with my friends. Great controls made up for the crappy music.

8. Starcraft and Brood War expansion - consumed the lives of my friends. I was never that good, but I enjoyed this game and recognize just how good it is. It started a sport in Korea...

9. Commander Keen - among the first high-quality games I ever played--on PC Shareware...I have very fond memories of Commander Keen...

10. Round 42 - has anyone else heard of this one? :-) In my youth, I had the shareware version of this Space Invaders-type game, and boy did I play the heck out of it! It was barrels of fun!

Honorable mention:
Redneck Rampage (because it was amusing, not because it was that good)
Duke Nukem 3D (also amusing)
Space Quest series (here's a trend: amusing!)
Tetris (still fun after all these years...I especially loved playing two player side-by-side Double Blocks on the old Tandy 1000)
Space Invaders on Atari 5200 - hours of fun with my dad when I was a kid
QBert on Atari 5200 - I love Qbert! Can't they make a good version for PC or console?

and finally....

of course...

Pac-Man! I have fond memories of playing this with my dad too...

Last edited by aeron; 12-21-07 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-21-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine would be:

Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Perfect Dark
Super Mario Kart
Metroid Prime
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Old 12-22-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aeron
1. Final Fantasy VIII - After seeing commercials for FFVIII, I bought a PSX so I could play this game. I was not disappointed. Storytelling and characters like I had never experienced in a game. This game totally changed what I expected and wanted in a game. FFX is probably better as a game, but in terms of impact on me, this was #1!

2. Final Fantasy X - amazing graphics, great characters, a moving story...I spent over 200 hours beating every creature in the game! This was why I bought a PS2!
I liked FFX: great story, good battle system. Too easy though. I did all the missions and sidequests but did no power leveling. I smooshed the end boss in less than a minute. And I only died once, and it was cheap / bad luck (from one of those guys that instantly stones/confuses/etc the party). If it had a better difficulty curve I would consider it very excellent.

I dropped FF8. I hated the battle system and drawing magic from enemies. I wish I could have gotten past the battle system to play it. Someday.

BTW: Heroes of Might and Magic III would be on my list, but I think Master of Magic did what Heroes did only better (with some addictive Civ elements). I still do play HOMM3 once in a while.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-22-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 10:32 AM

In no order.

Tecmo Super Bowl: Spent many skipped days of my senior year of high school playing this with friends.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out: My first, and all-time favorite, NES game.

NHL 94/Bulls Vs. Lakers/NBA Live 95: Various sports games on the Genesis that ate up alot of my time.

Goldeneye on the 64 is the best multiplayer game of all time.

Resident Evil(PS1): Scared the shit out of me the first time that damn hound from hell jumped through the window.

Mario Kart64: The only time I recommend drinking and driving with friends.

Max Payne/Max Payne 2(PC): Where's the love for Max? I love these games. Easy to finish, but i've replayed them many times.

And more recently....Guitar Hero III on Wii. A typical conversation at my house.

Various kid: "Can I have a turn now dad?"
Me: "Just......one......more......song"
Old 03-05-08, 07:34 PM

1. Final Fantasy 12 for PS2.
2. Final Fantasy 7 for PSX.
3. Shadow Of The Colossus for PS2.
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 for PS3.
5. God of War 2 for PS2.
6. Resistance for PS3.
7. LocoRoco for PSP.
8. Warhawk for PS3.
9. Gran Turismo 4 for PS2.
10. Killzone Liberation for PSP.
Old 03-05-08, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Ok....to finish my list...

9. Leisure Suit Larry Series (PC) - My friend let me borrow a shoebox of floppies and a cheat sheet to pass the age tests and things were never the same. It was the first PC game I ever played on our low end Tandy. Of course I had to play the games when I first got home from work and had to stop as soon as my parents rolled in the driveway at night. A pretty engrossing game for a horny teenager but even later in life I enjoy going back and playing the games. With the exception of the most recent release they were all great games. \
Old 03-05-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No particular order here.

Bioshock (360) - I have never been so caught up in a game environment as I was in Rapture. A brilliant game from top to bottom.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - Loved the characters, loved the story, and loved the materia system. One of the few games were I NEEDED to find everything in this game.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - Amazing story, amazing characters, great voice acting, perfect battle system. Put 130 hours into this and wanted more.

Metal Gear Solid - Great story, great gameplay, great setting. Some of the most intense gaming I can remember.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) - This game was perfect. Loved seeing the origins of many of the characters/plotlines that appear throughout the series.

Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - One of the saddest storylines in a game ever. It was difficult not to get caught up in the story and setting. The only game to ever really scare me.

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - Mario 1-3, plus the lost levels all on one cartridge with updated 16 bit graphics. The BEST package in gaming history.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - This game took over my life. When I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about playing it. Exploring Hyrule and finding heart pieces, rupees, whatever was a passion for me, and I had to make sure I had everything.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Hyrule has never looked better, and I loved how deep and "dark" the storyline was, especially compared to past Zelda games. Plus turning into a wolf was awesome.

Portal (360) - Short, but mind bendingly fun. GlaDos' running commentary throughout the game was hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.