DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Can you guys recommend me a good 360 game? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/519378-can-you-guys-recommend-me-good-360-game.html)

HydroX2 12-06-07 07:06 PM

Can you guys recommend me a good 360 game?

I have $60 credit at EB to get a game and im stuck on what to get. I've had WWE 08, Orange Box, DOA4, Dead Rising, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Creed, Kane & Lynch, Gears, Rainbow 6, NBA 2K8, Madden 08, COD 3 & 4, Halo 3, and a few more so im thinking of Timeshift or maybe The Simpsons. Any reviews of those or can you guys recommend me any other good 360 games?

sniper308 12-06-07 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by HydroX2
I have $60 credit at EB to get a game and im stuck on what to get. I've had WWE 08, Orange Box, Bioshock, Creed, Kane & Lynch, Gears, Rainbow 6, NBA 2K8, COD 3 & 4, Halo 3, and a few more so im thinking of Timeshift or maybe The Simpsons. Any reviews of those or can you guys recommend me any other good 360 games?

Mass Effect? Haven't played it but understand its pretty good.

PopcornTreeCt 12-06-07 07:59 PM

I keep hearing that COD 4 is the game of the year.

RichC2 12-06-07 08:07 PM

CoD4 is awesome. Tho game of the year for me is between Super Mario Galaxy and Rock Band right now.

HydroX2 12-06-07 08:10 PM

I picked up Mass Effect last week, gonna start on it tonight. Might try Mario Galaxy, I heard the controls were weird though.

RichC2 12-06-07 08:13 PM

Naw, the controls are perfection. The camera is the only occasional issue, but in 35 stars I've only had two instances where it's been noticeable. Game reminds me a lot of Mario 3 which makes me all the happier.

maxfisher 12-07-07 05:14 AM

I'd advise against the Simpsons unless you're a really big fan of the show. It's funny, but pretty short and doesn't have a lot of replay value. I haven't played Mass Effect yet and it's really the only $60 game you didn't list that seems like it's worth it. Assuming you haven't played them, maybe you could get two older games instead? Crackdown and Dead Rising would give you a ton of quality gaming.

lordwow 12-07-07 05:19 AM

Well certainly not Cain and Lynch.

xmiyux 12-07-07 05:54 AM

Mass Effect (so far) is a great single player experience. CoD4 is an incredible single player and multiplayer game. Personally i highly recommend CoD4 above anything else.

gimmepilotwings 12-07-07 07:54 AM

The game of the year so far for me is Rock Band. It is actually making me shelf Super Mario Galaxy. It is taking up so much time, I haven't gotten COD4 yet.

metalhead212 12-07-07 07:55 AM

From what I hear Mass Effect is great.

Gears of War
Oblivion
Dead Rising!!!
Call of Duty 4
Guitar hero 2/3
Dead or Alive 4

Underdogs:
Condemned
NFS Most Wanted
Hitman Blood Money

All good and fun games. Those 3 underdog games don't have much replay value, but they are fun playing through the first time.

dcswirl 12-07-07 08:06 AM

If you like footy, I can't recommend FIFA 08 high enough.

The Bus 12-07-07 08:26 AM

Oblivion if you don't have it already.

Why not get two great older games?

boredsilly 12-07-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Crackdown and Dead Rising would give you a ton of quality gaming.

Co-sign

Michael Corvin 12-07-07 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Dead Rising!!!

Guitar hero 2/3

Condemned

All good and fun games. Those 3 underdog games don't have much replay value, but they are fun playing through the first time.

:up: Condemned can never get enough praise from me. It's under $20 at this point, and the sequel is due out early next year.

Similarly Dead Rising is phenomenal and should be cheap by now.

Canis Firebrand 12-07-07 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
:up: Condemned can never get enough praise from me. It's under $20 at this point, and the sequel is due out early next year.

Similarly Dead Rising is phenomenal and should be cheap by now.

Both good choices.

xmiyux 12-07-07 09:23 AM

Only get Dead Rising if you are playing on an HDTV or a VGA monitor. The text is unreadable on an SDTV.

metalhead212 12-07-07 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Only get Dead Rising if you are playing on an HDTV or a VGA monitor. The text is unreadable on an SDTV.

Yes the text is hard to read, but you can gimp by without it. The game is fun regardless.

Lastblade 12-07-07 09:50 AM

I am going with some oddball recommendations:

Project Silpheed, if you like space combat

Ace Combat 6, if you like non-space aerial combat

NHL 08, if you like videogame hockey

Rainbow Six Vegas if you haven't played this already

Virtua Fighter 5 if you like fighting games

F.E.A.R./Files if you haven't played this yet

Project Gotham Racing 4 if you like racing games

nemein 12-07-07 09:51 AM

Yes the text is hard to read, but you can gimp by without it. The game is fun regardless.

Personally I found Dead Rising long/drawn out and frustrating most of the time but each to their own.

I would recommend Crackdown or Timeshift (if you like FPSs I would also recommend Prey and while F.E.A.R. was enjoyable there was nothing particularly special about IMHO).

xmiyux 12-07-07 10:05 AM

Agreed - i played it on a SDTV for the first time. However, why pick a game that you have to "gimp by" on when there are others out there that are far more playable in SDTV.

Either way, at the very least get an old computer monitor and use it for a cheap HD alternative - then this discussion is of no importance. :lol:

Michael Corvin 12-07-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Personally I found Dead Rising long/drawn out and frustrating most of the time but each to their own.

I would recommend Crackdown or Timeshift (if you like FPSs I would also recommend Prey and while F.E.A.R. was enjoyable there was nothing particularly special about IMHO).

??? :scratch2:

Dead Rising long and drawn out? That has to be the first time I have ever seen that complaint about the game. It's a six hour game start to finish. There are however many extras/achievements/different endings to shoot for to justify multiple play throughs.

I agree with Crackdown as well. Super addictive.

McHawkson 12-07-07 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
??? :scratch2:

Dead Rising long and drawn out? That has to be the first time I have ever seen that complaint about the game. It's a six hour game start to finish. There are however many extras/achievements/different endings to shoot for to justify multiple play throughs.

I agree with Crackdown as well. Super addictive.

Well, I don't like Dead Rising - when I played demo, I had blast time beating up all zombies. When I bought the full version, I felt like I'm working, than playing. It's no longer fun.

RichC2 12-07-07 10:39 AM

I actually don't like Dead Rising either. It's just more tedious than fun to play.

I'm not really big on the whole "free roam" games either, for the most part, I like having direction in my games... the only real exception being Mafia which had a good amount of story/plot through its full duration.

Michael Corvin 12-07-07 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2

I'm not really big on the whole "free roam" games either, for the most part, I like having direction in my games... the only real exception being Mafia which had a good amount of story/plot through its full duration.

Another :scratch2:.

While Dead Rising is free roam, it's about as structured as they come. There are specific missions and survivors to save.