Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need advice on deadbeat buyer on ebay w/ wii

Old 11-29-07, 08:50 AM

Need advice on deadbeat buyer on ebay w/ wii

I put up my wii on ebay and it sold for $340 with zelda and the guide. I put in big bold letters that i was only accepting money orders. So the guy emails me saying his son bid on it and he only goes through paypal and dosen't want to get ripped off. Meanwhile he's ripping me off! I've got perfect feedback and been a member since '02.

My question is how do i respond to this...

A - relist the item and go for it again
B- keep the damn thing and let it collect dust next to my ps3.
C- sell it to my cousin who wants to get it for his son. You know how hard these are to get in the stores. Only downfall is you know he won't pay $340 for it probably less than $250.. "come on we're family blah blah"

Another question is how to i deal with this asshole who technically failed to pay for an item? If i leave him negative which i sure as hell should, he'll come back firing @ me and now i'll have a bad rep.. Either way i can't win. Blah any advice would be appreciated! - Mike
Old 11-29-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though it sucks PayPal charges you fees, why not use it? It's pretty easy. I understand you're pissed, but if you want to get rid of it, that may be the only way. And other than leaving negative feedback, you can't do much else. At least he isn't trying to rip you off (happens to me all the time).
Old 11-29-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. Even with fees you are making a healthy profit for a used system and single game. Eat the fee and let it go.

As for feedback, forget it. You still have 100%. It's not worth giving him the neg.
Old 11-29-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can call his bluff, give him a non-paying bidder and not leave a neg.

However, pretty soon, given their marriage, I fully expect ebay to REQUIRE all sellers to accept paypal.
Old 11-29-07, 09:21 AM

I've got a paypal account but not linked with my routing number. I only have my credit card on there. So i guess i'll put in the information i need and do it that way. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-29-07, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
However, pretty soon, given their marriage, I fully expect ebay to REQUIRE all sellers to accept paypal.
I actually thought that was already a requirement.
Old 11-29-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would definitely accept the paypal payment. It's another way to help ensure you don't get screwed.
Old 11-29-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I actually thought that was already a requirement.
I wish. I've had to let two guitar pedals I wanted go because the seller wouldn't accept PP.
Old 11-29-07, 10:32 AM

I owuld never purchase a higher dollar item off ebay without using paypal.

You have to upgrade your paypal account. Sellers are required to accept all forms of payment if they accept paypal. Make sure that the buyer has a paypal confirmed address, if not do not ship it to them and refund payment. Be sure to get signature delivery confirmation as well, you will need to keep that for your records.

Paypal is making sellers upgrade so they get profit on every transaction as well.

Most buyers prefer paypal so then they are protected as well.
Old 11-29-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could refund, wait 7 days and file non-paying bidder, wait additional 7 days and then get your ebay fees reimbursed
Old 11-29-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Paypal confirmed address is pretty annoying actually. If your credit card is issued from a different country to that were you're residing and your paypal account was created on that Paypal website for that country, then the Paypal website is too retarded to accept an address outside of that country, even if it is the correct billing address for your card.

Luckily I haven't come across a seller yet who has refused to ship to me.
Old 11-29-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hail2dking
you could refund, wait 7 days and file non-paying bidder, wait additional 7 days and then get your ebay fees reimbursed
I'd do that and re-list, AND I'd leave a negative (unless the buyer was just kinda stupid and was real apologetic). If it was put clearly in your auction what types of payment you accept, even though some might think you should accept paypal, if you don't that's your business. The guy screwed you out of a good sale by not reading your listing. Contact the runner-up?
Old 11-29-07, 07:01 PM

Ya i offered the second bidder a chance to buy it but no response.
Old 11-29-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would definitely not ship to the first bidder now. You already know the transaction is adversarial. I'm sure the first bidder would take any opportunity to claim non-receipt.

Just put his user ID in your Blocked Bidder list and relist. Put in big, bold red letters at the top of the auction you do not accept Paypal.
Old 11-30-07, 11:31 AM

I had the same thing happen to me when I decided to sell my Wii. Except, my buyer wasn't even willing to pay with Paypal. Apparenly the bidder bid and won on about 10 Wii's and only paid for the one that was the best deal. I just relisted the item right away and then complained to ebay to get my auction fees back.
Old 11-30-07, 07:47 PM

That's a good idea as well. How do i go about getting reimbursed by ebay for the listing fees? I've still got a few days until i record it as not payed.

The cube- Whats the significance of your signature? Your favorite movies perhaps? If so throw 1fotcn first lol
Old 11-30-07, 10:55 PM

If you file a claim that he was a non-paying bidder, ebay will give the guy 7 days to respond to you or pay. If he doesn't, you get the listing fee's back, and his ability to leave you feedback is taken away. They do this to prevent flaming/wars within feedback for non-payers. You will then be able to leave him negative feedback, and he can't leave you any feedback in return, keeping your feedback at 100% or whatever it may be at now.
Old 12-01-07, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike2
The cube- Whats the significance of your signature? Your favorite movies perhaps? If so throw 1fotcn first lol
Yea, it is a list of my favorite movies. I'd put 1fotcn first if it was my favorite movie, but it isn't. I haven't updated my favorite movie list in a few years, so it isn't completely correct. I'm sure not too many people would have a favorite movie list similar to me. I usually don't agree with critics or other people. Although, Groundhog Day is respected by many.

1. Groundhog Day, 2. The Family Man, 3. Signs, 4. The Great Outdoors, 5. Cube, 6. 28 Days Later, 7. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, 8. Jurassic Park, 9. The Village, 10. The Shawshank Redemption, 11. The Truman Show, 12. K-PAX, 13. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 14. The Sixth Sense

I think it is time to update the list. V For Vendetta, The Game, and The Guardian need to get a little respect.

Last edited by The_Cube; 12-01-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 01:10 PM

wow, im surprised at some comments in this thread

im a powerseller with over 5,000 feedbacks and would never DREAM of accepting paypal. the fees, the fraudulent chargebacks, insane access to your accounts, etc.

i opened a merchant account and things couldnt be easier. i only accept visa and mastercard (and money orders)... some people complain, but i refuse to accept paypal after they held over $6,000 randsom for 6 months for no justifiable reason.

EDIT TO ADD: why not just relist the wii on a 1-day listing. you're still going to get a decent amount for it. start it at 99 cents and the listing will only cost you 20 cents + final value fee.
Old 12-03-07, 09:09 PM

Hmm that's a good idea andycleveland.

btw: the cube- the guardian is a great movie. Even better in bluray. And the family man? Is one of cages better movies.