Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 Fall Dashboard Updates Details (12/04/07)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 Fall Dashboard Updates Details (12/04/07)

Old 12-05-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
I've got a 7GB HD WMV file that I'm able to stream with TVersity without any problems.

Same here! TVersity streams all my large HD files without any issues, plus I've had less issues with any kind of slow down that I've experienced with WMP sharing.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 12-05-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 04:30 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont have any >4Gb files yet but it would be nice to have the option for HD content files which im sure could get pretty big. So tversity huh?
Old 12-05-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Mine froze up twice last night, which hasn't happened in months. Reset the console each time and it worked after each. No RROD.
Same exact thing for me!
Old 12-05-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
What achievements do you expect to get? The only one you'll get that is different from playing on regular is "Deep and Hard - Complete the game on Hardened or Veteran difficulty"

You needs to play on Veteran to get all the others!

Hmm, I guess. If that's the case then I'm starting over on Veteran. I just wondered if something got messed up with the update.

But I saved that damn Farmer and I gots NOTHING! Nothing I tells ya!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-05-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Yeah, I got a mint used copy of the original Halo the other day for 5 bucks. I haven't played it in years but couldn't pass it up for 5 dollars. For $15, i would pass.

But I have to admit that I was surprised that Halo was one of the lesser hard drive eaters at only 2.3gb. Crimson Skies is over 4gb.

I think they dropped the ball in two ways on the Xbox Originals. Price and achievements. The price should be no more than $10 each. It may have been a pain in the ass (and impossible) but they sell a hell of a lot more copies at 15 bucks each had they put achievements/points in these games for all the achievement/points whores out there (and there are a lot of them...myself included).

And if they keeping adding all these downloadable content for both games and media...Microsoft needs to step up and lower the price on the add-on 120gb hard drive...now. I bought the Halo edition console because I got a good deal on it but I am starting to regret it since it only came with the 20gb drive.

I really liked the Games section. I like how they put what your friends are doing specifically in a certain game (like they did on xboxlive.com).

As far as my friends or other people looking at my friends list...who cares. Do you really fear spamming from a 12 year old (referring to the poster above)? Set it so people can't and you are done. No reason to complain about it since it is a function that can easily be remedied.

Price isnt too bad considering Vitural Console games on the wii are 8 bucks for a snes game and 10 bucks for a n64 game.

I would wish I had a larger harddrive, It would be nice if you could put the games on a portable harddrive when your not playing them and then put them back on the hard drive when you want to play them.
Old 12-06-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
Price isnt too bad considering Vitural Console games on the wii are 8 bucks for a snes game and 10 bucks for a n64 game.
But it isn't like you can run out and buy Wheel of Fortune on the SNES for $1 and pop it in the Wii. You can with the Xbox, so the pricing is a bit high.
Old 12-07-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!

DivX/XviD Support

I'm stunned.... I'm speechless... I may even have a coronary....

Microsoft did it right. XviD playback is actually BETTER than wmv!

Finally my dream of making the 360 a media jukebox can now become a reality.

wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!wow!
Old 12-07-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've run into all kinds of nightmares with my Elite and Windows Vista Ultimate/Media Center. my ols setup earlier in the year worked flawlessly but after the death of my launch day 360 and an upgrade on the pc I never tried reconnecting the new 360 and the pc. now that there is Divx support I wanted to get this all working again and its been nothing but trouble.

I launched the Media Center in Vista, entered the code the 360 kicked out and everything appeared to work. but it didn't. I can launch Media Center on the 360 but there is nothing there. when I try to do anything I am greeted with the following message:

Library Setup

A necessary component of Windows Media Center is currently not available. Restart Windows Media Center.

this happens for everything I do from within the 360. I also can't view anything with WM11 even though I have sharing on and music/videos in WM11. I have also checked the firewall settings and the extender is allowed. I also have a little green check mark on the 360 in Media Sharing in WM11 so I don't know what else to check.

with my old setup(original 360+Media Center 2005) I had everything setup within a minute or 2.
Old 12-07-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wish it would support .mkv files. The new standard in Hi Def files.
Old 12-07-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I dont have any >4Gb files yet but it would be nice to have the option for HD content files which im sure could get pretty big. So tversity huh?
TVersity works great for me. I need to do a little tweaking with the menu structure I think, though.
I was a little confused after the dashboard update when I selected "Video" on the Media Blade. It launched Media Center. I didn't see the option to press "X" to select a different source (i.e. the TVersity server running on my Home Theater box).
Old 12-07-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I've run into all kinds of nightmares with my Elite and Windows Vista Ultimate/Media Center. my ols setup earlier in the year worked flawlessly but after the death of my launch day 360 and an upgrade on the pc I never tried reconnecting the new 360 and the pc. now that there is Divx support I wanted to get this all working again and its been nothing but trouble.

I launched the Media Center in Vista, entered the code the 360 kicked out and everything appeared to work. but it didn't. I can launch Media Center on the 360 but there is nothing there. when I try to do anything I am greeted with the following message:

Library Setup

A necessary component of Windows Media Center is currently not available. Restart Windows Media Center.

this happens for everything I do from within the 360. I also can't view anything with WM11 even though I have sharing on and music/videos in WM11. I have also checked the firewall settings and the extender is allowed. I also have a little green check mark on the 360 in Media Sharing in WM11 so I don't know what else to check.

with my old setup(original 360+Media Center 2005) I had everything setup within a minute or 2.
This Microsoft Knowledgebase article doens't exactly match your problem, but it may point you in the right direction:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937281/en-us
Old 12-07-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I really wish it would support .mkv files. The new standard in Hi Def files.
Honestly, I think it's pretty earthshaking they are supporting anything but WMV and H.264, honestly. Especially considering that Divx and Xvid are used primarily for illegal content distribution.

Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of that stuff on my systems. But I'm also realistic about what most of the "Give is DivX/XviD people!" were really looking for.
Old 12-07-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
A reason to retire our modded xboxes, of course
Old 12-07-07, 08:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, after installing this update my system has crashed three times within 5 minutes of starting games. What the hell? Am I gonna get RROD because of the damn thing?
Old 12-07-07, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Okay, after installing this update my system has crashed three times within 5 minutes of starting games. What the hell? Am I gonna get RROD because of the damn thing?
It could be the update as much as it could just be coincidence/ bad timing.
Old 12-08-07, 05:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I've been playing it quite a bit lately, I haven't had a problem like this ever. Since the update it has crashed every time I've tried something, and only a few minutes in, which admittedly has been Halo 3 twice and the Orange Box demo once (which I tried to determine of the problem was specific to Halo 3 or the DVD drive).
Old 12-08-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last fall update RROD'd my system. So it's not uncommon. There were complaints of that then. Don't believe all the "coincidence" naysayers. Updates have the change of messing up your system.
Old 12-09-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
The last fall update RROD'd my system. So it's not uncommon. There were complaints of that then. Don't believe all the "coincidence" naysayers. Updates have the change of messing up your system.
Maybe, but last update there were a LOT of people that had the RROD problem after the update. A lot of vocal people. DRG is the first person I've read about bricking on this update.
Old 12-09-07, 03:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it hasn't completely bricked it yet... although I haven't turned it on since the third freeze.
Old 12-09-07, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movieking
However, my computer and 360 still refuse to communicate. I am trying to use WMP, and I can allow the 360, but the 360 just won't recognize the computer anymore, even though it has in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions as what the problem might be?
OK, this is driving me crazy. I've tried everything that I could think of, for playing around with the MAC addresses to clearing on the DRM folder to disabling all of my firewall software to reinstalling WMP11 and nothing has work. To top it off, now WMP11 doesn't even find my 360 anymore. Previously, I could allow sharing on my computer, but the 360 never found my computer. Not it looks like the computer doesn't see the 360.

Suggestions, or links to places that might help? I've done searches without much luck.
Old 12-09-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
OK, this is driving me crazy. I've tried everything that I could think of, for playing around with the MAC addresses to clearing on the DRM folder to disabling all of my firewall software to reinstalling WMP11 and nothing has work. To top it off, now WMP11 doesn't even find my 360 anymore. Previously, I could allow sharing on my computer, but the 360 never found my computer. Not it looks like the computer doesn't see the 360.

Suggestions, or links to places that might help? I've done searches without much luck.

Even Window's Firewall? Because their firewall is "optimized"(all the right ports are ready to go) for the 360/PC thing. I use Zone Alarm and all my tests pass except for streaming. It's no big deal. However when I disable ZA and enable Window's Firewall, all the 360 Network tests pass and everything works like a charm. Since I have no real interest in streaming I put ZA back on and disabled the Windows FW. I can still access my media on the PC with this set up.

I will say that after the update I did notice I had to reselect the PC for a media source.
Old 12-09-07, 11:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, after being powered off for a few days I tried again, this time with the Simpsons demo. Got a few splash screens in and it froze once again. What are my options here? It hasn't actually RROD'ed yet, but I also can't play any games at all it appears. I know RROD is covered by MS (after a year though?), but what about this? I don't even know who to contact for tech help, if there is such a thing. This is the first time it's hosed on me, so I'm not exactly sure what my options are here.
Old 12-09-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Maybe, but last update there were a LOT of people that had the RROD problem after the update. A lot of vocal people. DRG is the first person I've read about bricking on this update.
See post 102, paragraph 2.
Old 12-09-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Okay, after being powered off for a few days I tried again, this time with the Simpsons demo. Got a few splash screens in and it froze once again. What are my options here? It hasn't actually RROD'ed yet, but I also can't play any games at all it appears. I know RROD is covered by MS (after a year though?), but what about this? I don't even know who to contact for tech help, if there is such a thing. This is the first time it's hosed on me, so I'm not exactly sure what my options are here.
Have you tried setting the privacy settings to block others from seeing your
friends list? If not, try it. A friend's 360 was messed up pretty bad by the
update (also post 102, paragraph 1) and for some reason it seems the reboot
from the settings change fixed it when nothing else would. Not saying it will
in your case, but if you haven't done it already it might be worth a try.
Old 12-09-07, 12:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Well, thanks for the advice, but when I turned it on to try this I got the RROD. Oh well, I guess I saw this coming. So I guess I'm off to find a number to call about this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.