DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   I love homophobia in online gaming. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/518420-i-love-homophobia-online-gaming.html)

Tracer Bullet 11-26-07 08:01 PM

I love homophobia in online gaming.

Warning: pretty disgusting language.

Liver&Onions 11-26-07 08:18 PM

They should un-blur the idiots who are talking so I can add them to my ignore list.

This is one big reason I refuse to play the typical online games like this - others like Catan, Carcassonne, etc don't seem to have this level of bullshit. Or at least, I haven't encountered it.

jiggawhat 11-26-07 08:32 PM

I think when you have a name like xxxgayboyxxx your asking for name calling.

Tracer Bullet 11-26-07 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I think when you have a name like xxxgayboyxxx your asking for name calling.

That was sort of the point, wasn't it?

Liver&Onions 11-26-07 09:15 PM

regardless of the guys name I see this in some games when I play, with no one in the room having a name that is even close to something worth bashing.

Arpeggi 11-26-07 09:21 PM

rotfl

Breakfast with Girls 11-26-07 09:24 PM

Not surprising, but definitely depressing. I hate online gaming because it's filled with these sorts of douche bags.

McHawkson 11-26-07 09:29 PM

Not much news... When I was in clan and in control of Call of Duty (first one) servers (we had 3 servers at that time), I had to ban lot of bad mouth people from our servers. And then I would receive all excessive swearing email from them. -ohbfrank-

nickdawgy 11-26-07 10:01 PM

It seems staged.

Mikael79 11-27-07 12:41 AM

From some of the tauntings I've heard guys get online, I think they were pretty tame to him.

Still, it's pretty damn sad.

Arpeggi 11-27-07 12:58 AM

Best part:
At the beginning- "Hey gay boy, are you a faggot or wot?!"

Boba Fett 11-27-07 01:23 AM

The creator of the video, IMO, fits the internet defition of a troll; he picked a name he knew would incite flames and annoy a lot of people.

I also use much more harsh and cruel language amongst friends when we game, but it when anyone outside our group is involved, we cut it off 100%.

MasterofDVD 11-27-07 02:07 AM

It's pretty sad to hear but we all saw it coming.

Men in a group can be vicious but the one sure fire way to make it worse is to make it somewhat anonymous. I too would like to see the unblurred version so I could avoid each and every one of those people but there are so many more out there that were not captured in the video that it almost seems like a losing battle.

Goat3001 11-27-07 02:46 AM

:lol: The best part is is that most of the people ragging on him are teetering on the edge of puberty, yet to ever touch a vagina. It sure says something about the youth in this country. I think they'll outgrow the homophobia. They may think its funny now but when they meet real gay people most of them will change their attitude. After 4 years of college I've seen it many times. Although there still will be a few remaining idiots.

Yes, I find this homophobia pretty disturbing but I think its more disturbing that the biggest laugh came from the joke "hey gayboy, do you spit or swallow?". Really? Can't think of anything funnier than that? Unless I'm missing some Halo double entendre this is a shocking look into the terrible sense of humor of this country's youth.

Giantrobo 11-27-07 03:18 AM

I've heard it all while on LIVE but I'm not going to let some "Ignant*" ass Fucktards ruin my online gaming. Plus this guy was just asking for it with that name. I mean why temp Douchebags into acting...well...like Douchebags? Frankly, if I hadn't heard some of that kind of shit on LIVE myself over the years I would swear that video was staged. Also, I think he was doing his fair share of trashtalk based on some of the stuff being said but that part is cut out. Again, why tempt Douchebags....

Either way, here's what I posted at xbox.com's in the LIVE Discussion area of their Forum when I guy posted complaining about Racism on LIVE.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo on xbox.com

Not to be harsh but I say grow a pair. It's not like you have to live with some of the often Moronic, Racist, Sexist, Takes games waaay to serious pigs on LIVE. Just Mute them and play your game. After your done, put them on your "Avoid" list and if they're really obnoxious then file a complaint....then get on with life.

At least that's what I do...

* "Ignant" = Ghetto for "Ignorant"

Tracer Bullet 11-27-07 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've heard it all while on LIVE but I'm not going to let some "Ignant*" ass Fucktards ruin my online gaming. Plus this guy was just asking for it with that name. I mean why temp Douchebags into acting...well...like Douchebags? Frankly, if I hadn't heard some of that kind of shit on LIVE myself over the years I would swear that video was staged. Also, I think he was doing his fair share of trashtalk based on some of the stuff being said but that part is cut out. Again, why tempt Douchebags....

I agree that it should be ignored, but to say that he was "asking for it" is missing the point. He was obviously trying to get people to say things like this, but we've all read/heard it before.

Honestly I find it hard to want to buy an Xbox because of this reason. It's bad enough that I had to deal with such language in Everquest and FFXI; I really don't want to hear people say it. And I used to kick people from groups for it, too.

The Bus 11-27-07 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Honestly I find it hard to want to buy an Xbox because of this reason. It's bad enough that I had to deal with such language in Everquest and FFXI; I really don't want to hear people say it. And I used to kick people from groups for it, too.

If you avoid first person shooters, you'll be OK. You won't find this language playing UNO, or Catan, or a racing game.

PixyJunket 11-27-07 08:28 AM

I think it has a lot to do with the type of game being played as well.. what kind of people does the game you're playing attract, etc. I have played several random matches on Wartech: Senko no Ronde and Beautiful Katamari and have not even once came across anybody that wasn't pleasant.

DRG 11-27-07 10:03 AM

I just can't get into anonymous online gaming and shit like this is a large reason why. Not even this specifically... the whole culture of fucktard trash-talking is completely unappealing to me. Among friends it's fine, but I don't need some 12-year-old douche talking shit to me because I'm new to the game or don't play it 24-7.

Groucho 11-27-07 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I love homophobia in online gaming.

This is where you and I differ. I find it vile and repugnant myself. But to each their own.

xmiyux 11-27-07 10:17 AM

miyu's guide to avoiding these jerks on Live:

1. Keep in mind your game. Gears - full of random jerks. Phantom Dust - full of extremely polite Japanese gamers and maladjusted CCG enthusiasts like myself.
2. Build your friends list. This is the single best thing you can do to have a good online experience.
3. Party up and play with your party.
4. Mute anyone who bothers you in the least as quickly as possible. Then leave avoidance feedback. Every bad experience helps out your filter and creates better experiences in the future.
5. Join a clan. Seriously, find a clan (obviously i talk about 8BB a good bit) but there are tons of mature adult gamer clans out there. TTL is one that we game with pretty frequently and their mission statement also involves good sportsmanship.

As for Uno, more than the trash talk in other games, i have been more horrified by the gamers using their camera and playing Uno naked. :shudder:

xmiyux 11-27-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is where you and I differ. I find it vile and repugnant myself. But to each their own.

Agreed. If someone is making homophobic jokes/comments then i will not game with them again. Bigoted comments in general are the primary thing that infuriate me more than anything else online.

RichC2 11-27-07 10:24 AM

Reminds me of Sunday's Family Guy - Terrorist bomber shows up in heaven to claim 72 virgins and gets a cloud full of computer geeks playing Magic the Gathering..

I mute my online gaming as I don't play team based except with friends.

Save Ferris 11-27-07 10:49 AM

Is there another name for someone who hates gays other than homophobia?

Why do people just brand this kind of hate a 'phobia'?

The term homophobia always seemed like a return-insult along the lines of 'well you're just intolerant of gays because you're probably one yourself!'

It just seems stupid to stoop to that level if theres a better term for these kinds of people out there.

RichC2 11-27-07 10:58 AM

Yeah, "Assholes" is a generally accepted term for em as well. "Bigot" maybe?