Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Round 1: Fight! Soul Calibur 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Start a custom match, send invites. That's what I did...

So has anyone else noticed that everyone online either uses a variant of sigfried or cervantes, and that's pretty much it? My bread and butter has always been the faster characters, and I have been a pretty good player in the past on all the previous games (won a tourney on SCIII at the '06 CES, despite never playing SCIII before, and using the friggin PS2 controller, which BLOWS). But I'm getting my ass handed to me online on this game 90% of the time. Everyone just starts a combo with fucking Sig, and forget it, you're done. I primarily use Taki, and she's impossible to use online. It's odd, my buddy was over, and we played for a while, and we're both pretty established players, and neither of us could get anything going online with the smaller characters.

Is it out of balance that bad online, or do I need to adjust my playing style for live?
I use Siegfried all the time but I rarely play against someone who uses him. Kilik seems to be the all-time "cheap" character in this game. You can win online with fast characters especially against Siegfried. Just keep at it. I like playing Hilde and Tira's style. Tira is a lot of fun.
Old 08-10-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I ended up having to get really cheap as Vader against the Apprentice in arcade mode. I just pretty much threw him every chance I got - I actually beat him rather quickly after adopting that strategy.
Ha! I forgot about this post of yours, but that's exactly how I beat him with Vader last night. The second match, I even got a 'perfect!' against him. He blocks relentlessly and never breaks out of throws, so he's a breeze as long as you don't do anything but throw.
Old 08-10-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been playing random people, but friends and friends-of-friends.

I use mostly Taki and Siegfried as I sorta know them from SC1. Taki is really my primary.

Taki works good but I had some trouble with the timing on her juggles...I tend to miss probably due to the lag. That's the biggest adjustment IMO along with being careful when you sidestep.

There's some good moves to deal with the long range characters. The wind roll to flying uppercut very useful (->B+K BBB or ->B+K BKB) ...also the -> -> K move that does what looks like a Chun Li hurricane kick is VERY useful for hitting them and to gets you into close range quickly.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-10-08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately this game is bringing out the completist in me, I can't stop playing it. I absolutely SUCK online but I'm not giving up yet. I usually win 1 or 2 rounds, but end up losing the match. My record is a horrid 13 & 65 or something, lol.
Old 08-10-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Is there any talk of trophies for the PS3 version of this?
Old 08-11-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Taki works good but I had some trouble with the timing on her juggles...I tend to miss probably due to the lag. That's the biggest adjustment IMO along with being careful when you sidestep.
At this point, I'm convinced that it's a lag issue. Taki, amongst a couple of others, are quite timing sensitive, and I haven't quite figured out the timing lag with the online battles. For example, a friend was using angol fear last night, and just button mashing and using the same BBB attack over and over and over. Now, in a local game, that's easy to sidestep, roll and counter in any number of ways. I was able to do it if I'm anywhere but against a wall, ledge, or corner. However, blocking an attack like that and trying to counter is just...frustrating. Theoretically, I should be able to block the final blow, and as the final blow is letting up, release the block and start my counter - but the lag won't allow for it in the least. I tried starting a split second earlier, but that just leads to getting hammered by the final strike in that string.

In the end, I really have to adjust my playing style for XBL on this game, and I'm struggling to do so. I'll have to just play some social games and figure out my strategy. It's still amazingly frustrating to just get hammered by simple button mashing, which never seemed to have as much impact previous SC games.
Old 08-11-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...In the end, I really have to adjust my playing style for XBL on this game, and I'm struggling to do so. I'll have to just play some social games and figure out my strategy. It's still amazingly frustrating to just get hammered by simple button mashing, which never seemed to have as much impact previous SC games.
That's my problem with my horrible online record. I can't tell you how many times I lost to some asshole that never hit more than one button repeatedly. You simply can't move, and that's frustrating as Hell. Here I am trying to have fun by trying to use skill at the game, only to be owned by (single) button mashing. I'd rather lose every game by getting outplayed than win half of them against button-mashers.
Old 08-11-08, 11:49 AM

Agreed. And in all honesty, I'm going for the online achievements and won't touch it online again after that.

I hope the online portion will be tweaked in an update. That said...I wonder if the SFIV crew is taking note of how this is running. I never got to play DoA4 online much, but was it like this with the lag too? this is really the first fighting game I'm playing VS online, so maybe I'm acting like a n00b about it. I dunno.
Old 08-11-08, 12:38 PM

Agreed. And in all honesty, I'm going for the online achievements and won't touch it online again after that.

I hope the online portion will be tweaked in an update. That said...I wonder if the SFIV crew is taking note of how this is running. I never got to play DoA4 online much, but was it like this with the lag too? this is really the first fighting game I'm playing VS online, so maybe I'm acting like a n00b about it. I dunno.

I'm kind of fearful for SFIV after experiencing the online lag of SCIV. However, I have played a few online matches of DOA4 and VF5, and none were this bad. In fact, they were quite playable (coming from a non-frame counting fighting fan). The worst one has been SFIIHF, and I think SCIV has more lag. Even the SFHD beta is more playable than SCIV. When I encounter lag on SCIV, it's basically whomever gets in the first shot wins. Who wants to play online if all you're going to do is hit some buttons or just use one or two moves? Is there lag in the PS3 version?
Old 08-11-08, 01:51 PM

I haven't tried VF5...but DoA4 was just a button slamming combo-fest anyways, with counters that I've never been too methodical with from the start. I suck with the counters in that game, so I wouldn't have noticed if it was off on timing
Old 08-11-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Street Fighter 2 doesn't have counters, guard impacts, and the like. Sometimes pulling off a parry in SF3 online (SF anniversary collection disc) was pretty tough.

I had a guy on SF3 leg-sweep tripping me over and over again. Due to lag I couldn't stand up and block quickly enough to stop it, I'd get tripped about 5 times before finally getting my block. VERY frustrating. Fighting games are always going to be a bit problematic for online.

I was playing a buddy's girlfriend on SC4 this weekend who kept spamming the same high-low attack with Ivy and beating us. I could only block the low attack maybe 60% of the time and I couldn't get a counter attack in afterwards. She mixed in just a few high attacks when we would start ducking. The solution for me was a backwards Guard Impact. Even with some minor lag, you should be able to Guard Impact them if they are spamming the same move over and over again or button mashing. Even then, I was still losing half the time.
Old 08-11-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, I'm convinced that it's a lag issue. Taki, amongst a couple of others, are quite timing sensitive, and I haven't quite figured out the timing lag with the online battles. For example, a friend was using angol fear last night, and just button mashing and using the same BBB attack over and over and over. Now, in a local game, that's easy to sidestep, roll and counter in any number of ways. I was able to do it if I'm anywhere but against a wall, ledge, or corner. However, blocking an attack like that and trying to counter is just...frustrating. Theoretically, I should be able to block the final blow, and as the final blow is letting up, release the block and start my counter - but the lag won't allow for it in the least. I tried starting a split second earlier, but that just leads to getting hammered by the final strike in that string.

In the end, I really have to adjust my playing style for XBL on this game, and I'm struggling to do so. I'll have to just play some social games and figure out my strategy. It's still amazingly frustrating to just get hammered by simple button mashing, which never seemed to have as much impact previous SC games.
I beat that guy pretty easy.

I've learned to use the lag to my advantage. I can usually start a hold move while the enemy is still on the ground before they get up.
Old 08-11-08, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

I've learned to use the lag to my advantage. I can usually start a hold move while the enemy is still on the ground before they get up.
get a mic, then you can talk trash...I seem to remember taking you out on the next round tho...
Old 08-11-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

The problem with that is...if they hit you first, you may never have them on the ground.
Old 08-11-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am thinking of picking this up this week and just wanted to see if anyone regrets their purchase. I have a couple of gift cards which is one of the reasons I am considering it and the beta I am in is on break currently.
Old 08-11-08, 10:27 PM

If you like Soul Calibur, get it. I'm having a blast with it. I don't think it's as good as II, but it's better than III, IMO.
Old 08-12-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't regret it. Well, I'm renting it and don't want to give it back. I'm going for the Acquire every weapon and piece of equipment Achievement. Which will probably take me another week or so.

If anyone wants to do the Smash Opponent's Equipment/Win with All Equipment Smashed Achievements...let me know....Gamertag is luke1014. I can't seem to accomplish this against the AI.
Old 08-13-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on level 32 of the tower. I'm enjoying the game.

Nightmare, if you set him up right, is really a bad ass. I can beat the characters with three strikes by him. 6-7 strikes even if they start with 200 HP.
Old 08-13-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get the Soul Edge sword for Yoen-sung (sp?)...I killed Seigfreid with one hit in the tower, somewhere around level 25 or so. The sword has a +200 to your attack.
Old 08-13-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Get the HP Drain A...Venom Fang A helps too.
Old 08-14-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Old 08-14-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it just me, or does Yoda look alot like Gary Coleman?
Old 08-18-08, 05:02 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I'm a little late to the party (my copy of the game shipped scratched beyond playability) but I just got it and I'm ready for some matches! Gamertag: Paradoxx21
Old 08-20-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is anyone using the Hori stick? I'm tempted to get the SCIV edition from amazon. Seemed to be the cheapest one I could find.
Old 08-20-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm using it.

The feel of it is a bit different - having just readied my Street Fighter Anniversary stick for selling on ebay/Amazon marketplace I noticed how much more I liked it over the Hori - but it works pretty well. I did a lot better on SF2HD beta with it, and it works great for SC4.

Good stick overall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.