DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   My Spanish/French Coach DS - can anyone review this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/518360-my-spanish-french-coach-ds-can-anyone-review.html)

rfduncan 11-26-07 11:07 AM

My Spanish/French Coach DS - can anyone review this?

This looked like an interesting way to learn Spanish or French. Anyone have the chance to use either and recommend/trash it? I'm looking to use a $10 off $29.99 coupon at Best Buy on this. If it is bad, I will use it to get my brother something for his DS for Christmas.

Thanks!

mrpayroll 11-26-07 11:23 AM

IGN gives it a 7.0, so that's a pretty good score.

Chris

Shiv Shankly 11-26-07 11:43 AM

If you go to DS Fanboy , one of the staff there did a review post each day for a week with My French Coach. I have it myself, and so far, I like it.

xmiyux 11-26-07 12:08 PM

Are you learning French or do you know French already? I considered picking up the Spanish one just to have fun with it and perhaps learn a few new vocabulary words.

I have My Word Coach and it has been really fun so far. It is like Brain Age for us Liberal Arts majors.

Dragon Fly 11-26-07 12:12 PM

I bought my wife the French Coach and she plays it on a daily basis. She already knew some of the language prior to picking it up which helped her learn new words and such. I was thinking about getting the Spanish one myself but I'm skeptical about how helpful a DS game can be with learning some language. :) If there was a Japanese one available I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

Shiv Shankly 11-26-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Are you learning French or do you know French already? I considered picking up the Spanish one just to have fun with it and perhaps learn a few new vocabulary words.

I have My Word Coach and it has been really fun so far. It is like Brain Age for us Liberal Arts majors.

I know a little French, so it's really to bolster what I already know. I was thinking about picking up Word Coach, but I may wait to get a deal at some point.

The Bus 11-26-07 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
If there was a Japanese one available I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

There is. But it's not for beginners, since it's from Japan. So it's more to not lose your Japanese skills.

There's a ton of those games actually.

xmiyux 11-26-07 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shiv Shankly
I know a little French, so it's really to bolster what I already know. I was thinking about picking up Word Coach, but I may wait to get a deal at some point.

Well i teach lower level Spanish so i thought it might be entertaining for me to pick up a few new words here and there as well as know how useful it would be for the kids to play around with.

My Word Coach is a good deal of fun. I'm tickled when it gives me a couple words that i actually don't know. I enjoy it waaaaaay more than Brain Age.