Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

American Chart - Week ending Nov 17th (Mario Edition)

Old 11-25-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

American Chart - Week ending Nov 17th (Mario Edition)

Old 11-25-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mario Galaxy a big seller as expected. Assassin's Creed also sold big, although VGChartz's predictions seem to have the 360 numbers on the higher side from history. A hit nontheless.
Old 11-25-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope those numbers are high enough for us to get an Assassin's Creed sequel.
Old 11-25-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope that that Nintendo feels the numbers for Super Mario Galaxy are high enough, and demand that work begins on a sequel, right away!
Old 11-25-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I hope those numbers are high enough for us to get an Assassin's Creed sequel.
We got 2 Prince of Persia sequels and sales for that were a fraction of what Assassin's Creed sold in its first week.
Old 11-25-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
We got 2 Prince of Persia sequels and sales for that were a fraction of what Assassin's Creed sold in its first week.
......and the first of those sequels was a crappy rush job. Just sayin.

Glad SMG did well...and I suspect it sold like hotcakes over the Xmas shopping weekend. Seems to me that it will have legs and the attach rate to Wiis will approach something in the 50% range.
Old 11-25-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I hope that that Nintendo feels the numbers for Super Mario Galaxy are high enough, and demand that work begins on a sequel, right away!
If those number are right the US more than doubled the total Japanese sales in one week. I don't know what is wrong with the Japanese, but both Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy are struggling to hit 500,000 in sales. It is almost like they don't play real games over there any more.

Everything on the list was kind of expected, but I didn't realize the wrestling games still sell that well and I really didn't expect the Resident Evil light gun game to break 100,000 its first week.
Old 11-25-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As if Nintendo makes anything but Mario games

Old 11-25-07, 11:00 PM

The charting of console systems with games is really B.S IMO.
Old 11-26-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Mario Galaxy a big seller as expected. Assassin's Creed also sold big, although VGChartz's predictions seem to have the 360 numbers on the higher side from history. A hit nontheless.

Assassin's Creed had to have got some help from the massive ad campaign, as I have seen more commericals for this game outside of Halo 3
Old 11-26-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nintendo themselves said SMG sold 500k, I don't trust that chart at all.
Old 11-26-07, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
Nintendo themselves said SMG sold 500k, I don't trust that chart at all.
Actually, what they said was that Super Mario Galaxy sold OVER 500,000 copies, according to internal data. You have to remember, the numbers that NPD reports, do not include sales of games from some retailers, such as Wal-Mart. So, it's quite possible that the game did, in fact, sell as many copies as that chart indicates.
Old 11-26-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, what they said was that Super Mario Galaxy sold OVER 500,000 copies, according to internal data. You have to remember, the numbers that NPD reports, do not include sales of games from some retailers, such as Wal-Mart. So, it's quite possible that the game did, in fact, sell as many copies as that chart indicates.
NPD now no longer includes Toys R Us in their data as well.
Old 11-26-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Assassin's Creed actually sold more units than Mario Galaxy if you look at 360 and PS3 sales combined.

I hadn't realized Marvel Ultimate Alliance was still selling in those kinds of numbers. I know a couple of guys who work at Raven Software, so that makes me happy for them.
Old 11-26-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF
Assassin's Creed actually sold more units than Mario Galaxy if you look at 360 and PS3 sales combined.

I hadn't realized Marvel Ultimate Alliance was still selling in those kinds of numbers. I know a couple of guys who work at Raven Software, so that makes me happy for them.
It's because it's included in the 360 bundles.
Old 11-26-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice to see the Ps3 version of Assassins Creed sell better than expected.
Old 11-26-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So why not say over 700,000? Wouldn't that look better? That's all well and good but the numbers from that chart aren't from NPD, they are estimates from the site.
Old 11-26-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
If those number are right the US more than doubled the total Japanese sales in one week. I don't know what is wrong with the Japanese, but both Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy are struggling to hit 500,000 in sales. It is almost like they don't play real games over there any more.
Broken record much? Christ, you're the new Mod snip . And what exactly is a "real game?" Oh, I get it.. a "real game" is a game that the great darkside likes. Everything else is "fake," nice. Somebody doesn't buy a game that the great darkside likes, something is wrong with them.

Just for reference (taken from Google):
Population of Japan = 127,433,494
Population of USA = 301,139,947

I'm shocked that we bought twice as much given those number. Shocked!

Mod Note: Pixy - You should know better. Referencing past members by name and then using that name as a personal attack is not cool.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 11-26-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who would you trust in talking about Nintendo's sales?

• Nintendo
  • A random website that extrapolates sales from talking to a few store and district managers.
Old 11-26-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Broken record much? Christ, you're the new . And what exactly is a "real game?" Oh, I get it.. a "real game" is a game that the great darkside likes. Everything else is "fake," nice. Somebody doesn't buy a game that the great darkside likes, something is wrong with them.

Just for reference (taken from Google):
Population of Japan = 127,433,494
Population of USA = 301,139,947

I'm shocked that we bought twice as much given those number. Shocked!
Man, calm down. You can disagree with me without personal attacks.
I said nothing that prompted that outburst.

I'm also not the first person in the world to question why titles that used to easily sell millions in Japan struggle to reach half a million. Especially when the non challenging games do break millions in sales.

Anyway, I'm done with it. I wouldn't want to ruin the entire forum for you with my opinions.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 11-26-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 05:11 PM

Since they're being discussed, here's the Japanese #s:

Old 11-26-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, not sure why Pixy decided to freakout. Although considering his tastes in games, maybe not

Regardless... for reference based on VGChart numbers:

N64's Ocarina of Time - 1.4 million
GC's Wind Waker - 885K
Wii's Twilight Princess - 528K

Obviously the Twlight Princess numbers will grow as more Wii's are sold and the console goes longer into it's life span, but a slight downward trend. Keep in mind though that only Smash Bros. sold over 1 million in the Gamecube generation and Zelda's 880K was 3rd best overall, so those 500K sales are actually pretty good.

Of course, it's no secret that Japanese gamers are into "quirkier" games then the US.
Old 11-26-07, 05:30 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Mod Note: Pixy - You should know better. Referencing past members by name and then using that name as a personal attack is not cool.
Adding to what L&O wrote ...

Pixy, the first paragraph was really uncalled for and unnecessary. If you had made the post without that first paragraph (and just started with the population figures), then it would have been just fine and you would have made a much better point.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 11-26-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting that there's not a single 360 game in the Japanese Top 10. I knew they were having a tough time penetrating that market, but I didn't think it was that bad. And apparently Sony is not doing so well, either.
Old 11-26-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Numbers that don't include Wal-Mart and Toys R Us are utterly worthless. Anecdotally, I see more "hardcore" games selling at places like Gamestop, while I would think that a game like Galaxy would sell the vast vast majority of copies at the sort of retail places that casual gamers buy their games...like Wal-Mart or Toys R Us.

In the case of SMG, I know Toys R Us sold a ton of copies with the $25 gift card deal. I know at least 5 people personally who bought it during that sale.

At any rate, Nintendo doesn't appear too worried.