Reload this Page >

Nintendo: Wiiflections on the year.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo: Wiiflections on the year.

Old 11-23-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Disagree. Same old games + HD still equals same old games.

Besides, PC gamers already surpass HD in terms of resolution, and the latest video cards run circles around what the consoles can do. So, I'm not dropping my jaw over anything seen on any of the "next gen" consoles.

It's all about the gameplay and other perks, which is why (as Superboy has eloquently stated) Microsoft and Nintendo have blown past Sony this generation, despite the fact that the PS3 is graphically the superior machine.
PC games surpassed console graphics a very, very long time ago. And their lead only accelerated over the years.

It's funny that you say that the reason why the PS3 is in last is the same reason why the original Xbox lagged behind for so long.
Old 11-24-07, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I bought a Wii on release day so believe me, I've played it, and how is saying "I would honestly (maybe) be more into the Wii if they released a standard controller. I work 10 hour days, I want to sit my ass down to play a video game, not wail around like an epileptic 10 year old." console bashing?

I knew not to post in this thread. The title should be changed from Nintendo: Wiiflections on the year" to "Let's praise the Wii", because obviously any criticism surely doesn't belong in this thread. I've owned the Wii for as long as it has been possible to own, and while I would love to go off on a rant about why I really don't like the Wii, I kept my comments civil. The 'epileptic 10 year old' comment was made in my house while my wife & I were watching my son trying to pump up a power meter on the strength-test game on Carnival Games. I apologize that I took a stab at humor, and maybe if you'd have seen my son at that time you would understand the comment.

[Rodney Dangerfield voice]I tell ya, tough crowd![/Rodney Dangerfield voice]

haha, I posted something exactly like that and I agree. I think the Wii is a decent system that provides some entertainment during your downtime when you finally get burnt out on playing the halos and the gears and the whatevers. The Wii is a decent breath of fresh air, but I hate that unless you train yourself just to flick your wrists and nothing else you do very much end up like someone flailing around like a fish out of water. It just happens and you really don't have any control over it.
Old 11-24-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
It's funny to see people complain that the Wii is not HD, when a lot of the big games on Xbox 360 and PS3 are not true HD either.

Halo 3 not HD

Call of Duty 4 not HD

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland looks awesome. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam looks like crap.

I still think the limitations are less in the system and more how developers use the lack of Wii's great graphics to their advantage. For example, Wii Sports would not benefit from HD graphics or more realistic graphics. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam would. Zelda would.

It takes me out of the game when I'm playing it and constantly saying "This could be better/prettier." There's plenty of terrible games with great graphics that are nice to look at. And there's plenty of great games with cartoon (or worse) graphics that are insanely great: Line Rider, Desktop Tower Defense, Wii Sports, Geometry Wars, Everyday Shooter, etc.

Great graphics are important (if not, they wouldn't be constantly mentioned in game reviews). But they're not everything. With the Wii being automatically handicapped in a few departments (including graphics), the games need to be a lot better to compete since they don't get an automatic low level of entertainment from being slightly prettier.

And if you don't think graphics do anything for a game, I dare you to play something like Oblivion or Ratchet and Clank and not be occasionally entranced by a well-done setpiece.
Old 11-24-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Has NIntendo expressed an interest in MMORPGs? I would think from their resistance to making online gaming easy, and their professed desire to protect the children, they wouldn't want to support MMORPGs.
The new animal crossing is going to some kind of MMO.
Old 11-25-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
And if you don't think graphics do anything for a game, I dare you to play something like Oblivion or Ratchet and Clank and not be occasionally entranced by a well-done setpiece.
I would say that's more because of the artistic appeal of the game, rather than the technical accomplishments it makes.
Old 11-25-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superboy
I would say that's more because of the artistic appeal of the game, rather than the technical accomplishments it makes.
Yeah, good art direction goes a long way, as SMG and other Wii titles have proven.
Old 11-27-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's my $0.02. After the Gamecube disappointed me to no ends, I pretty much gave up on gaming entirely. Nintendo released the DS and I wa impressed, so I bought one. I played a lot of games on it and felt like I was getting back into gaming more and more. I read a lot about the Wii and what it would do, and debated for weeks on whether I should buy it or not. I run a 110" front projection screen in 720p. I've hooked up a 360 to it and was blown away, and knew the PS3 would look good as well. But, the hardcore aspect of gaming is what got me out of gaming. I didn't want to spend 30+ hours per game because I didn't have the time. My conclusion was to get the Wii since I considered myself a casual gamer. I bought the Wii and Zelda: TTLP on release day. Basically, the Wii got used every single day between November 2006 and about February of 2007 between my friends, roomie or myself. I used it at parties with WiiSports, Wario Ware, Rayman, play Zelda: TTLP as well as about a half dozen VC games, plus using the news, Mii and weather channels. During some of the spring and summer (basically the Wii drought minus the new Paper Mario), I didn't play it hardly at all, which was fine because I do a ton during the spring and summer outside. Fall hit and I got back into it again with Metroid, GHIII, Mario Galaxy and RE:UC. Just from my usage alone, $250 completely justified my value I got out of this machine. I can't tell you how much fun and enjoyment I have from playing it. I am very content with the purchase. However, I believe the big N has done some things wrong with the Wii. Not only is HD inexcusable form it (come on, allowing 720p wouldn't have increased the cost of the chipset that much), but analog audio is rediculous! My 13 year old CD player has a digital out, how can a new video game console in 2006 not have one?!? Sound is just as important to me as graphics, and DPLIIx does not sound as good as a proper DD signal. The control scheme and ease of use of the system outweighs the A/V negative and thus still makes me a happy, but irritated, camper. The other large issue to me is the lack of Nintendo 3rd part support. It is better than the GC or N64, but it still needs to be improved. This is key for the future growth of the Wii IMO. That's about all I have. Now to finish SMG so I can rock out some more GHIII (not in DD mind you, but mono... frickin Activision).