Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii Zapper vs. Other Models....

Old 11-19-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wii Zapper vs. Other Models....

Hello again...

Now that I look at it again -- the 2 in one gun that has been out for a while may actually be better (functionality-wise) than the zapper for 2 main reasons.

1) The Nunchuck can be removed on-the-fly without having to open any flaps, or undo anything

and

2) The trigger mechanism for the remote is extended so it can be located more near the normal position of a trigger (instead of reaching forward to use the actual 'B' Button.

2-in-1

Zapper:

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the zapper is just fine, but these 2 extra 'features' make this 2-in-1 more versatile...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt!

P.S. I know it comes with a free game, but still...
Old 11-19-07, 03:01 PM
tpc

On accessories, I default to this rule: never buy a third party knockoff if there is a first party option available... I doubt Nintendo would release any game where the removal of the nunchuk would be an issue, but I see your point...

the game ices it for me.
Old 11-19-07, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, no third party stuff for me. Had too many bad experiences.
Old 11-19-07, 04:14 PM

Here's how I'm looking at it: I'm buying Link's Crossbow Training. The Zapper is just an pack-in accessory. If I like it, I'll use it.
Old 11-20-07, 11:27 AM

IGN has a review, but has anyone here gotten one yet and tested it so far?

http://gear.ign.com/articles/836/836064p1.html
Old 11-20-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gonna pick it up tomorrow with the gift card that was given out as part of the TRU Mario Galaxy deal. I'm not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be a fun diversion.
Old 11-20-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Gonna pick it up tomorrow with the gift card that was given out as part of the TRU Mario Galaxy deal. I'm not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be a fun diversion.
I was planning on doing that too, but I heard it is not available at TRU. It's not anywhere on their website and most stores are saying they're not carrying it
Old 11-20-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
I was planning on doing that too, but I heard it is not available at TRU. It's not anywhere on their website and most stores are saying they're not carrying it
Hmm, that's weird. I wonder why? If that's the case, I guess I'll wait and see if I get any Best Buy gift cards over the holidays and pick it up then.
Old 11-20-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read review that people do NOT like the zapper, but love Zelda Crossbow. For $20, seems like an ok deal.
Old 11-20-07, 04:22 PM

Found it at Target last night and played the crossbow thing for a little bit before bed. I gave it a go this morning for a while with Medal Of Honor Heroes. I haven't decided if I like it or not, but it does take some getting used to. The trigger/handle setup is the reverse of the way a real sub machine type gun would be and it gave me a cramp in my shoulder pretty quickly.

I'll try it again tonight, but I think I'll take the nunchuk out and see how things are. I'll also let my kids give it a whirl and see what they think.
Old 11-20-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Toonview
The trigger/handle setup is the reverse of the way a real sub machine type gun would be...
What about the P90 submachine gun:

Old 11-20-07, 10:40 PM

Ya got me there.

I'd probably get a cramp from that too.
Old 11-21-07, 04:53 AM
Banned by request

I picked it up today but didn't get to play with it thanks to Rock Band.
Old 11-29-07, 12:08 AM

This LOOKS to be a better gun. Hopefully reviews will be out soon.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838371p1.html
Old 11-29-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

The perfect shot seems cool... But I think the game would have to have a 'zapper' or 'gun' mode so that they can't expect us to be pressing the remote buttons (A, +,-, etc) too much - because we would have to use the nunchuck hand to do so...

Later,

Matt!
Old 11-29-07, 12:40 AM

It works the same way as the wii zapper. I am pretty sure the zapper mode in the settings will work the same with the perfect shot
Old 11-29-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
Even though my TRU stated they weren't going to carry it, I went in day of release and they had it, so I lied

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
This LOOKS to be a better gun. Hopefully reviews will be out soon.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838371p1.html
I don't know about that. Honestly, for $20 with Link's Crossbow training, I'd still rather get the WiiZapper. I don't have much of a problem with them trigger on the WiiZapper, but it is fairly squishy. However, the Nyko gun may be a nice 2nd player gun in my collection.
Old 11-29-07, 09:20 AM

Well with Links coming with the Wii zapper the best deal would surely be the official gun, but the perfect shot *seems* to have more of the light gun feel instead of sub machine gun.

The cheapest price right now is about $6.17 at buy.com after Google checkout. Hopefully the price sticks all the way till release
Old 11-29-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up a Zapper for $20 and like it a lot for Ghost Squad. My plan is to also pick up the Perfect Shot when it comes out. This way, I can use either one for a particular game (some games may be better configured for one than the other), plus I'll have 2 guns for co-op mode!