DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What to do when online play is dead? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/517411-what-do-when-online-play-dead.html)

metalhead212 11-16-07 09:29 AM

What to do when online play is dead?

I recently picked up and started playing Prey again to finish off the game and possibly get the rest of the achievements. I really liked playing this game when it first came out online, but only got a small taste of it as I was at a friends house and I didn't have a 360 at the time. Now that I have picked up and started playing it again I have found no one online playing this game at all. The forums for the game are dead, and the one time I managed to find someone online playing he was French and I didn't understand a word he said.

I know the online play was laggy and choppy and really for the most part not that much fun, but it had a strange appeal to it now I can't play it online, nor can I 100% the game, so what am I to do?

What do you do when the online aspect of a game is dead and you have already completed the campaign? Sell it? Shelf if? Sit desperately at the "looking for games screen" refreshing it night after night hour after hour hoping a game pops up?

The same thing happened to me with Tribes for the PC, but somehow that community always manages to build itself back up after it has all but almost completely died out.

LivingINClip 11-16-07 09:34 AM

..I find another game.

Honestly, that's what I do.

Lastblade 11-16-07 09:38 AM

Finish the single player (at least in Normal, maybe again on Hard). Then sell it. People usually play the latest/greatest games.

Michael Corvin 11-16-07 09:42 AM

The biggest drawback to online achievements. If you don't get the game when it comes out you are fucked.

metalhead212 11-16-07 09:57 AM

That is what sucks the most. When I first played the game it was full of people. Less than 8 months later and it is dead. I have never seen a game die out that fast. Now those few remaining achievements are taunting the completionist in me.

Groucho 11-16-07 09:59 AM

I have to wonder if there's a post on a French forum somewhere complaining about the exact same thing.

Michael Corvin 11-16-07 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have to wonder if there's a post on a French forum somewhere complaining about the exact same thing.

rotfl

SmackDaddy 11-16-07 10:09 AM

Well, for old online console games you are pretty much SOL if they didn't include BOTS (I'm guessing you are talking about deathmatch/CTF and other online variants other than co-op). I put in Unreal Tournament (Liandri Conflict) for the Xbox and found 2 other people playing it. Too bad, since it was such a fun game.

I play most of my online games on my PC. So far, I've been lucky that even on older games that did not include BOTS, someone has usually made a mod to use them.

I still occasionally spin up Heretic II or Quake with the BOT mods and play a few round of DM.

I know most bot routines aren't that great, but sometimes it's fun to play those old games.

Draven 11-16-07 10:11 AM

It's been discussed at length on the video game podcasts and websites, this massive audience shift from one game to another on the 360. Since everyone can see what everyone is playing, you can watch this for yourself, especially if you have a lot of friends.

It kind of sucks, but when a new, "better" first person shooter is coming out every week, those audiences aren't going to stick with one that is generally thought to be mediocre at best. Nature of the beast.

metalhead212 11-16-07 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
It's been discussed at length on the video game podcasts and websites, this massive audience shift from one game to another on the 360. Since everyone can see what everyone is playing, you can watch this for yourself, especially if you have a lot of friends.

It kind of sucks, but when a new, "better" first person shooter is coming out every week, those audiences aren't going to stick with one that is generally thought to be mediocre at best. Nature of the beast.

Very well put.

Toad 11-16-07 11:57 AM

Still hundreds of people playing Halo online (PC). When they go, so will I.

Lastblade 11-16-07 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The biggest drawback to online achievements. If you don't get the game when it comes out you are fucked.

Pretty much. I just pretend online achievements do not exist.

SteelgearX 11-16-07 12:17 PM

Wait, so Halo isn't the only game online? May have to look into that.

forsho01 11-16-07 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

seriously...it just gets so hard to actually get someone to play with you and then you would need the right conditions and everything. the only thing you can do at that point is to tell your friends to buy the game, so you guys can do achievements together. LOL. think of it as your own personal game.

Canis Firebrand 11-16-07 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
Wait, so Halo isn't the only game online? May have to look into that.

No, but Halo is the only one where you are pretty much guaranteed to find people playing at game launch and a year or more later.

Michael Corvin 11-16-07 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by forsho01
seriously...it just gets so hard to actually get someone to play with you and then you would need the right conditions and everything. the only thing you can do at that point is to tell your friends to buy the game, so you guys can do achievements together. LOL. think of it as your own personal game.

Unless they are ranked matches.

This is where Halo 3 shines. A lot of the MP achievements can also be gotten in the campaign.

Spiderbite 11-16-07 02:14 PM

I never buy an old game unless I want to play the single player campaign. The online addition is a bonus to me and I know there is usually going to be nobody on after the game has been out a year (Halo excluded of course). I just got Perfect Dark Zero for 10 bucks but know that finding someone for the online play will be virtually impossible.

I actually bought Prey used recently because I enjoyed the demo so much (and it was cheap). I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet due to all the hot games out right now.

Are the online achievements you need something that a two player match can get you? I wouldn't mind going on there one night and helping you get them.

Another way to get people to play might be to have a certain "game night" like OXM does. They have a calendar in every issue stating different games on different nights to stimulate players on that night and time. Don't know if that actually works for them or not. For example, they have a night for Need For Speed Carbon and DOA Xtreme 2 at the end of November and those are pretty old games. No night for Prey though. :(

Maybe have a DVDTalk/VGTalk game night (and post it at any other forums you attend) and post the date and time. We could get some stragglers in for a few older games (if they can be torn away from Halo3, GHIII or COD4...and now Assassin's Creed according to my friends list last night) but only if they have the game. I don't think Prey was very popular, was it? I do like the idea of a "dead game" night.

Anyway, I am in to help if you would like.

Michael Corvin 11-16-07 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Are the online achievements you need something that a two player match can get you? I wouldn't mind going on there one night and helping you get them.

Yes you can do 2 player. This was a summer title so not a whole lot else going on and that's what I did. Hooked up with someone to get them all. Took a few hours trading off.

mhg83 11-16-07 07:35 PM

I had booted doom3 up a few months back to see if anyone was still playing this online. Surprisingly there were quite a few people playing deathmatch.

Joe Molotov 11-16-07 08:53 PM

People still play Daikatana Deathmatch online. This is not a joke.

With PC games there's always a chance you can find other people playing your favorite games from decades ago. I hang on to all of them.

wmunn 11-17-07 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

Grosse pente paresseuse d'Américains lue ou jeux de jeu.

uncle-frank 11-17-07 07:37 AM

What to do when online play is dead?

go outside?

lordzeppelin 11-17-07 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
People still play Daikatana Deathmatch online.

I was wondering what John Romero was up to...

Lateralus 11-17-07 08:52 AM

Read a book perhaps? ;)

boredsilly 11-17-07 10:41 AM

Yeah, I still haven't gotten past the barrier of entry for online gaming myself. I'm about 4 to 8 months behind the curve on games, and whenever I get to something the online community is dead, or they're all super death 5 star ninjas who have dedicated considerable time to mastering a games skill set. From what I hear, the COD4 single player is dope, so there is that.