Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which (current gen) home console had the best first year line-up?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Best first year line-up?
PS3
3.66%
Wii
35.37%
Xbox360
56.10%
They all rocked equally
0%
They all sucked equally
4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Which (current gen) home console had the best first year line-up?

Old 11-15-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Who plays FPS on the PC anymore?
That would be me.
Old 11-15-07, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without a doubt the 360 had and has the best line up of the three. Nintendo first party can only take me so far. PS3 has been in loopy loo land doing god knows what since day one.

And before anyone asks, with the exception of Mario, I have played every game on that list.
Old 11-15-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
An outstanding Mario, a positively epic Zelda, and a very solid Metroid with amazing controls along with the innovative Wii Sports and and an amazing new version of RE4...

Sorry, but that absolutely blows away Gears and Dead Rising, which were the only 360 games that really looked that interesting to me.
I haven't played Mario yet but from someone who had both of those systems until launch, I can say without a doubt the first 4-6 weeks of the Wii were careless, heady days. Then, once I got sick of Wii Sports the other games weren't that good. Comparing Tony Hawk's Project 8 to Downhill Jam is completely ridiculous. Hell, I spent more time playing Ninety-Nine Nights than Zelda.

Plus, the 360 had Oblivion, one of the best games. (That sentence was not missing a clause or specification.)

Old 11-15-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Who plays FPS on the PC anymore?
Thankfully, I still can and still do. As much as I love Half Life 2 I would never even consider playing it with a controller.
Old 11-15-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Thankfully, I still can and still do. As much as I love Half Life 2 I would never even consider playing it with a controller.
I'm in the same boat. I hate that most of my online buddies buy them for the 360. I'm simply not going to buy games like Quake or UT or HL2 for a console; if I pick it up, it will be for the PC.

I've made exceptions for some FPS games on sticks, but they're really games designed around the sticks limitation from the beginning - Gears, Shadowrun. I really like very few FPS games though. I love Gears multiplayer but that's really the exception to the rule.

I don't get why people complain about the Wii's game selection. I think the Wii has had the one of the best first years of any console.

Picking from M. Corvin's list my list consists of the following:

360:
Gears
Dead Rising (completed and sold, but I loved it)
Kameo - got for wife for $8 but she hasn't played it yet

Wii:
! Wiisports !
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda Twilight Princess
Resident Evil 4 (rented, will get on BF for $20)
Metroid Prime 3 (on rental right now)
Super Paper Mario
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Wife has Trauma Center

This is well more games than I've had time to play. Some of them, like Super Paper Mario, are going to stay the wife's territory for now.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-15-07 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have a really difficult time deciding between the Wii and 360. Both had a great first year IMO. I would probably give the edge to the 360, mostly because I think a lot of developers struggled with the new Wii controls for the first year. I think that trend is starting to change.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm with discostu. sequel, sequel, sequel, remake and WiiSports. As great as Mario, Metroid & Zelda turned out, I'd rather give props to new IPs in this sequelitis industry. So 360 has the edge for me for new franchises like Viva Pinata, Condemned, Kameo, Gears of War and Dead Rising.

If Nintendo is so intent on hitting the well, at least give us some fresh takes on IPs that haven't had a dozen sequels already like Pikmin or Kid Icarus.
To me "new IP" is a little misleading, when "new" really only refers to the story. It doesn't matter that Mario Galaxy is a Mario game, because what I've played feels completely fresh and new. Gears of War, while a new IP, felt like just another third person shooter, a good game IMO, but being a new IP doesn't automatically mean it has more innovation than a sequel. I'm not saying that your examples of 360 games aren't good examples of new IP's, I think most are very good games, I just take issue with "new IP" being automatically assumed as more innovative or new.

I'd estimate people playing FPS's without a mouse or wiimote is about 5:1. Who plays FPS on the PC anymore?
I certainly do, a controller really isn't a very good control scheme for an FPS IMO, especially when compared to a mouse. I don't think mouse/keyboard is well suited for platformers or sports games, and I don't think controllers are well suited for FPS (or third person with aiming) or RTS games. But that is another discussion.

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hell, I spent more time playing Ninety-Nine Nights than Zelda.
Whoa, I enjoy Dynasty Warrior clones, but comparing Ninety-Nine Nights to Zelda?

Last edited by msdmoney; 11-15-07 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd estimate people playing FPS's without a mouse or wiimote is about 5:1. Who plays FPS on the PC anymore?
Who wouldn't?
Old 11-15-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chess
An outstanding Mario, a positively epic Zelda, and a very solid Metroid with amazing controls along with the innovative Wii Sports and and an amazing new version of RE4...

Sorry, but that absolutely blows away Gears and Dead Rising, which were the only 360 games that really looked that interesting to me.
Mario Galaxy is pure gold.

I also loved Zelda to pieces, but the one thing it was missing that could have easily made it longer in gamepaly time, was being able to help people out! Just any kid or adult or whoever. The gameplay was open spaced but pretty linear overall. I missed that a lot, from Ocarina of time.

Metroid 3 is an amazing shooter for the Wii.

RE4 isn't a new version. It's just an old game made for Wii controls. It's a great title to play on the Wii but I couldn't actually classify this as a title for Wii's launch year that's making it worth buying the system.

The PS3 didn't have a ton of must have titles.

I think I'd have to say the 360 is the winner though. Tons of titles on there I've had a ball with. The Wii I probably have had the most 'fun' with, with its games, but just not enough yet. I want more fun platform or adventure titles and less 'party' titles.