Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thinking about getting a Wii and I have a few questions

Old 11-13-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

Thinking about getting a Wii and I have a few questions

1. How does the Wii look on HDTV since it cannot do HD resolutions? Standards dvds can look a little crappy (without a good upconverter at least) so this has me a little worried.

2. How do NES/SNES virtual console games look on a big screen HDTV? Are they stretched and/or pixelated too much? I am worried that the pixels are going to be a little too prominent on a 42" screen.

3. How well do the virtual console games control? I have heard that Punch-out (my favorite NES game) has some noticeable lag which makes the game considerably more difficult.

4. The internal memory of the Wii is 512 MB correct? Is this enough for a lot of game saves and virtual console downloading?
Old 11-13-07, 07:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
1. How does the Wii look on HDTV since it cannot do HD resolutions? Standards dvds can look a little crappy (without a good upconverter at least) so this has me a little worried.
If you get the component cables, it actually looks pretty good on and HDTV.

2. How do NES/SNES virtual console games look on a big screen HDTV? Are they stretched and/or pixelated too much? I am worried that the pixels are going to be a little too prominent on a 42" screen.

3. How well do the virtual console games control? I have heard that Punch-out (my favorite NES game) has some noticeable lag which makes the game considerably more difficult.

4. The internal memory of the Wii is 512 MB correct? Is this enough for a lot of game saves and virtual console downloading?
I don't have many VC games, so I can't comment too much on that. The ones I played looked good on the HDTV and controlled well using the Remote, I don't have the retro controller. I have 3 games, and some of the downloaded channels and still have a lot of room for saves, etc.
Old 11-13-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
How well do the virtual console games control? I have heard that Punch-out (my favorite NES game) has some noticeable lag which makes the game considerably more difficult.
Haven't played Punch Out, but all the other games I've played work/control fine. Usually the classic controller works best. Someone has actually made a NES controller for the Wii (plugs in the gamecube ports).

So far, yes. Game saves don't take much space at all. VC games can take up a lot of room (especially N64 games), but so far I've had plenty of room. When Wiiware gets introduced and the size limit is 40mb, it's going to get rough though -- and nintendo has only offered 2 options. Transfer games to a SD card (which you can't play off of) or delete and redownload games.
Old 11-13-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vryce
If you get the component cables, it actually looks pretty good on and HDTV.
Compared to last-gen consoles. Compared to current consoles, anything that tries to bring any detail into the game looks, well, bad.
Old 11-14-07, 12:54 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help guys. I just thought of another question to ask. For the virtual console NES games, can you save the game now or do you still have to write down those insanely long passwords?
Old 11-14-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All VC games except N64 (and Neo Geo?) have a suspend save feature where you can exit the game and come back to it at the exact same point. It's not a real save system per se, but functional. The reason Punch-Out has lag is no fault of the Wii itself, it's just the typical scaling lag any HDTV will bring when display images not of its native resolution.. the only reason Punch-Out is mentioned and nothing else is because Punch-Out requires insanely precise timing.
Old 11-14-07, 01:05 PM

Graphics can be quite amazing, depending on the game of course. Obviously, it's not going to be HD but something like Super Mario Sunshine has some spectacular sights.

Also, you can play most games sitting or lying down (just in case you were wondering).
Old 11-14-07, 01:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Bus
Compared to last-gen consoles. Compared to current consoles, anything that tries to bring any detail into the game looks, well, bad.
See, that is the thing though. You really can't compare the Wii to the PS3 and 360 because the Wii was never touted as an HD console.
So, while it is true that compared to them, the Wii graphics are not that great.

Overall, the Wii graphics are quite nice, at least the games I have played. I have my Wii hooked up with component cables to my 42" HDTV. Zelda was quite a bit improved once I got the component cables. Originally I had it hooked up using the RCA cables.
Old 11-14-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll chime in that I have Punch-Out and the classic controller and didn't notice any lag when playing through it for the first time the other day. Only made it to Soda Popinski (can't remember his pattern) but had no timing problems. I easily blocked all of Honda's punches and dropped Bald Bull when he charged me on the first try, so the timing seemed fine to me.

And I'm playing through the component cables on my 50-inch RPTV. We also have Super Mario Bros and that looks fine on the TV. I mean, it looks like Super Mario Bros but it looks fine.

I have a 360 as well and can appreciate good graphics, but I don't get hung up on them. Metroid 3 looks great on the on my TV. Haven't tried Zelda yet and I'll be getting Mario tonight but I'm sure they will be fine. Also played the Wii version of Guitar Hero 3 on my console and it looked ok, though I do have the 360 version as well and that does look better. Certainly not a deal breaker though.
Old 11-14-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Graphics can be quite amazing, depending on the game of course. Obviously, it's not going to be HD but something like Super Mario Sunshine has some spectacular sights.
So a four year old game holds up pretty well graphically?
Old 11-14-07, 01:49 PM

I keep making that mistake! Don't know why.