DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Which Final Fantasy should I get/keep? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/517106-final-fantasy-should-i-get-keep.html)

Curse_7781 11-13-07 08:25 AM

Which Final Fantasy should I get/keep?

Hey guys,

I was wondering since I own Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls for the GBA if it is worth getting the PSP version of Final Fantasy I & II.

I know that the graphics is top-notch (one of the reasons that makes me want to get it) but I'm not sure since the stories are the same thing as the ones in the GBA versions and that graphics are the only things that are different.

I'm thinking of trading in some games along to make the purchase but I need to hear if it is worth it.

Thanks!

Noonan 11-13-07 08:32 AM

If you've already played them, then I guess it depends on how big a fan you are. I've purchased every version of the first FF that has been released because it was the game that really broke me into gaming. I've played it through many times. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd so I haven't picked it up on PSP yet. I do have it on GBA and I think one of the PS1 compilations has it as well.

Curse_7781 11-13-07 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
If you've already played them, then I guess it depends on how big a fan you are. I've purchased every version of the first FF that has been released because it was the game that really broke me into gaming. I've played it through many times. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd so I haven't picked it up on PSP yet. I do have it on GBA and I think one of the PS1 compilations has it as well.

The thing is...I would love to own both versions (GBA version & PSP version) but I'm not sure since I really haven't touched the GBA version yet, I want to make sure so I can compare both versions when I do own both.

However, if I can only own one version of Final Fantasy for the PSP, which one should I get? Can you tell me the strengths and weaknesses of the FF I & II for the PSP?

I would say that I do love Final Fantasy but I'm not that hardcore about it considering that I am on a limited budget thus the reason I am considering making the trade of the GBA version for the PSP version (the graphics & presentation are the main draws for me). Is that a wise move?

Noonan 11-13-07 08:50 AM

Definitely get the 1st between the two. The 2nd was the first to use a job system but it didn't work well in the game. The story was great but the gameplay was probably my least favorite out of all the FF games. This one should really only be played by big time fans of the series that never got a chance to play it before.

Chris_D 11-13-07 08:53 AM

The biggest thing that occurs to me is that the PSP is priced pretty steeply, especially being spread across two different titles. Also, on 1UP Shane said that apparently FFII has received another gameplay overhaul on the PSP version, so if you really need to play FFII, this is now the definitive version (beyond just a graphic touch up and cutscenes).

Curse_7781 11-13-07 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Definitely get the 1st between the two. The 2nd was the first to use a job system but it didn't work well in the game. The story was great but the gameplay was probably my least favorite out of all the FF games. This one should really only be played by big time fans of the series that never got a chance to play it before.

I see.

Thanks man, you been a great help! :)

Curse_7781 11-13-07 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
The biggest thing that occurs to me is that the PSP is priced pretty steeply, especially being spread across two different titles. Also, on 1UP Shane said that apparently FFII has received another gameplay overhaul on the PSP version, so if you really need to play FFII, this is now the definitive version (beyond just a graphic touch up and cutscenes).

Oh really, then you would say that the PSP version is superior to the GBA version?

PixyJunket 11-13-07 09:22 AM

The PSP versions have all the stuff that GBA version has plus a little bit more. Personally, I don't like the look of the PSP versions; high resolution 2D is extremely difficult to pull off and have the same warmth (for lack of a better description) as great low resolution 2D. However, the PSP versions will have vastly superior audio over the GBA version. Honestly, if you have the GBA game already there's not much point in upgrading, especially given that they're sold separately.

Lastblade 11-13-07 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The PSP versions have all the stuff that GBA version has plus a little bit more. Personally, I don't like the look of the PSP versions; high resolution 2D is extremely difficult to pull off and have the same warmth (for lack of a better description) as great low resolution 2D. However, the PSP versions will have vastly superior audio over the GBA version. Honestly, if you have the GBA game already there's not much point in upgrading, especially given that they're sold separately.

Listen to this guy.

Chris_D 11-13-07 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Oh really, then you would say that the PSP version is superior to the GBA version?

Well only really for FFII (which you'd have to buy separately for the PSP anyway, and maybe you don't even want it). Apparently, the game mechanics were messed up pretty bad on the original game. They went some way towards fixing it for the GBA, and apparently they've gone further with the PSP version. So according to Shane (1UP) anyway, this is now the definitive version of the game. Of course, many seem to consider this the worst FF, so maybe you shouldn't be in a hurry to play it regardless.

Noonan 11-13-07 09:36 AM

Another thing about FFII I didn't like is that it has probably the highest rate of random fights that I've ever seen. That really starts to drag down the game after a while.