Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

first console story

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
first console story

My first video game console i got was the nes 8 bit. I was about eight years old and it was Christmas. We had just finished opening all the presents when our parents revealed to me and my sister that there was a video game system hidden in the house. Whoever found it first got to keep it. We looked around for a few minutes when finally my dad whispered to me to look behind the couch. I pulled it out and screamed "I FOUND IT! ITS MINE!" Of course my sister runs upstairs screaming and crying. My mom goes up to tell her they were just joking and it would be both our system to share and play on. It was the happiest X-Mas I ever had and will always remember. It came with mario brothers 3.

What was your first console and game?
Old 11-09-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh your poor sister. Your parents are evil!
Old 11-09-07, 04:59 PM

I was at my Uncle and Aunts in Luisianna and my Mom gave me this box. I looked inside and it was a super nintendo. I didnt know what it was but when we put in Mario Kart, I thought it was the greatest machine alive!!
Old 11-09-07, 05:01 PM

My first was the Atari 2600. I wanted it bad and my parents wouldn't buy it for me, so I had to save my money from mowing lawns, washing cars, etc. to buy it myself. When I had enough money for one, my Mom ordered it from an ad out of a magazine/paper my dad used to get called The Shotgun News...because it was about $20 cheaper than buying one in the store. I still remember her trying to talk me out of spending money on something that "you'll be tired of playing those games in a month and you will have wasted your money".

Almost 30 years later, I'm still playing video games...though not on any console....and I still have that Atari and all those games, which still worked last time I tried it.
Old 11-09-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
First one was the Sears Tele-games "console", with 4 different variations of 1-4 player Pong. Up until my parents moved about two years back, I think they still had it at their lakehouse--they may still.
First console with changeable games was the 2600, bought by my dad for us, I don't even think it was Christmas. Many a night was spent playing Space Invaders or Defender or Asteroids. And it was a family affair as well, we'd gather round the tv and take turns and share tips.
Last weekend when they were visiting, my dad and I played Puzzle Quest and Assault Heroes, and I made my mom watch the ending of Bioshock. The games have changed, but they can still be family affairs.
Old 11-09-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We had the 2600 when I was young, but that was a family system... my first system was the NES, and it was a birthday present shortly after it came out. Came with the light gun and the Super Mario Bros./Duckhunt cart.
Old 11-09-07, 05:21 PM
Banned

My first console was the Atari 2600 which my parents bought for me Christmas '79. I think my first game was Combat, but I am not sure on that. It was the only console that my parents would play. They later bought me a NES for Christmas '86, but they never played it because they said it was "too complicated".
Old 11-09-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
My first system was Pong. Before video games my friends and I would get together to play with our trains. We had tracks going all around the basement. Tunnels, towns, bridges. It was amazing and we all loved to get together to play for hours. Then one day a machine was hooked up to an old black and white tv. It was called Pong. Our parents never saw us again. The trains were put in boxes. It changed everything. Life has never been the same. I remember the music industry blaming video games for crappy music sales. Lionel taking big losses, etc. Our parents thought it was just a fad. I can't believe how far it's come.
Old 11-09-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I spent the summer in Germany and a few weeks before coming back my parents told me they had bought an NES and were playing Super Mario Bros. on it. It was the NES "Action Pack"(?) that had SMB and Duck Hunt on the same cart. I was 8.

Considering two years before it was my mom and I in a small apartment with no furniture (I slept on a mattress on the floor) this was a really cool thing. But I only got two games a year: one for my birthday and one for Christmas, so I always had to think really hard about what I wanted. There was a small rental shop near my neighborhood, every once in a while I would rent some games.

The SNES I got as a present but after that, every console I got was with my own money.
Old 11-09-07, 07:22 PM

Pong....my sister and I got it for Christmas, 1970 something. I progressed to a Atari 2600, Commodore 64 (technically not a console, but all I did on it was play games and make the colors change with POKE statements), NES, Segas Genesis, Playstation, Playstation 2, Nintendo Wii and finally an Xbox 360. Lots of PC gaming between various consoles as well.

I always wanted a Colecovision and Intellivision but never got one. Now, get off my lawn!
Old 11-10-07, 07:51 AM
Cat

My first console was the Atari 2600. My Mom got it for me for Christmas, but she was sneaky and the tag had my Grandfathers name on it so I didn't even pick up the package that was under the tree. The whole time that we had it though the only game we had was Combat. Thinking back it's amazing just how many game consoles I have had. Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, PS2, GameCube, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360.
Old 11-10-07, 08:44 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, an Intellivision II was my first console. There were some great games on that old system. I remember putting in a lot of time on Burgertime, Nightstalker, one of the D&D games, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Sadly, the console and all of the games were destroyed in a basement flood maybe 12 years ago.
Old 11-10-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Atari 400 for me. Many, many hours sunk into that.
Old 11-10-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First console for me was NES, I think around 87. I got Super Mario Bros with it and thought it was such an amazing game after playing atari and colecovision.
Old 11-10-07, 11:07 AM

The NES was my first system too.
Also I've had a SNES ,gameboy ,DS ,playstation ,Gamecube,and currently a Playstation 2.
Old 11-10-07, 02:48 PM

My first system that was actually "mine" was a Colecovision that I got on my birthday back sometime in the '80's. I got quite a few games with it but the ones I can somewhat remember the most is Tapper and Frogger. Played the dog out of it up till I got the NES. I saved up my money all summer and we took a trip to Abilene, TX so I could buy one at Sears because they did not sell them in my little po-dunk town. I bought Super Mario 2 with it.

Then a SNES for my Birthday followed by a Sega for X-mas one year, then a PS1 for X-mas with NBA Live '95, then a PS2 which I bought myself, followed by the XBOX, then 360 and now I'm licking my lips for a PS3!!!
Old 11-10-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone get the cartridge with their first NES that had 3 games on it? Super Mario Bros., Duckhunt, and World Class Trackmeet (with the nintendo power pad that you actually had to run and jump on)? We had that one, but I never knew anyone else that had it.
Old 11-10-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont remember the year, but the first console I called my very own was the NES that came with SMB/Duckhunt on the same cartridge. I remember when I was in 2nd grade I would visit a friends house and play his Atari, but the NES was my very own.

I remember in 7th grade when I sold the NES and accompanying games to classmates and teachers as to allow me the funds to buy the brand new SNES.

The best console story I have, was when I was in HS, and witnessed a nephew ask, "is that all" when he opened an xmas present and was greeted with a PlayStation. I was dumb founded by his reaction because I had spent the summer playing a borrowed system and was just a tad bit jealous of him at the moment. Luckily for me there was a PlayStation with my name on it under the tree as well, and I gave the appropriate response!
Old 11-10-07, 03:43 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts
My parents bought an Intellevision when I was around four or so, and it was indeed a family affair to play games together.

They picked me up an NES over Thanksgiving weekend of 1987, when I was eight.

My sister found a Gameboy, carrying case, and four or five games in 1990.

I believe SNES was a Christmas present in 1992, one year after it came out.

I picked up an N64 off eBay from a really snotty teenager whose father emailed me to personally apologize for his son's terrible seller abilities.

I bought a Gamecube in 2002 as a college graduation gift to myself.

I picked up a Wii last month to play games my fiancee actually wants to play.

Where are they now?...

The Intellevision and NES are in my parents' garage, possibly still in working order. My sister still has the Game Boy and has inherited my SNES (I play Tetris Attack! when I visit her), the N64 was inherited by my younger brother, and the Gamecube and Wii are in the living room.
Old 11-10-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first system I ever played was a Colecovision. The first system I ever had for my own was an Atari 2600, followed by a NES.
Old 11-10-07, 04:22 PM

It was Christmas and I was about 6 or 7. I was bugging my parents the entire year about how much I wanted a Nintendo (8-bit). I wake up early Xmas morning and push aside all the small presents and immediately go for the large box.

I shake it a bit.
It's heavy.
This is it.
Tear open wrapping paper.
Moment of truth.
Sega Master System.
SOB.

In retrospect, it wasn't a bad system at all. But it was no Nintendo. Luckily, a few years later, when I told them I wanted a Super Nintendo, I got that instead of Sega Genesis.
Old 11-10-07, 04:55 PM

Also I forgot to add that I had a sega genesis and sega CD.
Old 11-11-07, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

NES came packed w/R.O.B. and the Gyromite game. I couldn't stand the slow-as-crap R.O.B., so I wound up playing Gyromite with a controller in each hand.

If I remember right we also got Super Mario Bros. that year and I remember trying to hook up the NES on my uncle's TV to play Excitebike.

After that came a Genesis (wound up playing mostly Sonic and NBA Jam) - I'm only now realizing how many good SNES games I missed out on.

Toss in a (blue) Game Gear and a brief flirt with a GBA...

My sister got the N64 and later a PS1 - I took a long break from games until I picked up a refurbished PS2 and now have a Wii on the way for Christmas (it's sitting in a closet, taunting me).
Old 11-11-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
December 25, 1989

Under the tree lies a brand new Nintendo Entertainment System. I unwrap it, open it, Dad hooks it up, and I'm shooting ducks for the rest of the day. Good times.
Old 11-11-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a Coleco Gemini in the early 80s...a 2600 knockoff with a better controller. I think it came with Donkey Kong. I remember my favorite game on it being Zaxxon, but I emulated it recently and it's nigh unplayable.

I never had an NES, but played other folks' systems a lot. Lots of SMB, SMB2 and SMB 3 along with some Zelda, Castlevania and Metroid (funny that these are STILL my favorite franchises).

I got a Sega Genesis late in it's life cycle, and mostly played sports games on it...16 bit football and hockey were so good.

I bought a PS1 pretty close to launch...good memories...lots of fighting games, Twisted Metal 2, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Gex, Crash Bandicoot. In hindsight, I think I like the N64 better, but I credit Sony with getting me back into gaming.

I didn't get an N64 until the end of it's life cycle. I bought mine from somebody on here with a crapload of games. I was reminded how much I liked Mario and Zelda, and I also enjoyed Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Banjo Kazooie.

I didn't buy an SNES until it was a classic console, and it might be my favorite ever with games like Mario World, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Space Megaforce.

I think I got my Gamecube and GBA SP (both brilliant) about the same time as well as the Sega Dreamcast, which mostly just turned out to be an emulator.

PS2 was mine at the $179 price point and I got a ton of Greatest Hits titles for it. It's a great system with games like Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Grand Theft Auto, God of War and Sly Cooper. I'm not sure that I'll ever own a PS3...unless I decide to go blu-ray...but I'm not convinced at all that either HD format will catch on.

Never had any interest whatsoever in an Xbox. The 360 looks like a great machine, but reliability kills it for me, and the games are too expensive.

I've enjoyed the heck out of my Wii with games like Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3, and RE4 (which owns my soul). I'm practically drooling in anticipation of Mario Galaxy.

I didn't mean to write a novel here...just got a bit nostalgic...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.