Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taffer
Edited to add: I just did a quick search on Ubisoft's Far Cry forums. The Instincts forum has 8,800 posts. PC Far Cry has 138,000 posts. Instincts was released a little more than a year after Far Cry, but Far Cry still has more than 15 times as many posts. That should say something about Instincts popularity (or lack thereof).
I agree that instincts didn't sell very well, despite the mostly positive reviews, but I don't really think of it as a universally hated game, more universally ignored.
Old 11-28-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I played the demo at work and really enjoyed it. This and the Ratchet & Clank demo really make me wish I had a PS3.
Old 12-28-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After finishing Ratchet & Clank the other day, this was my next game to play.

The gun aiming is really hard! Any tips? I get shot a couple times before I can line up the return fire.

It seems like the game drops frames quite a bit, it "jumps forward" just a little here and there. Does anyone else have that problem? Or is it my TV (Panasonic 50px75u)?
Old 12-28-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
It seems like the game drops frames quite a bit, it "jumps forward" just a little here and there. Does anyone else have that problem? Or is it my TV (Panasonic 50px75u)?
It's the game engine. Most Naughty Dog games (specifically the Jak Trilogy) have that issue.
Old 12-28-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
It's the game engine. Most Naughty Dog games (specifically the Jak Trilogy) have that issue.
Thanks. I'm just glad it isn't any of my equipment.
Old 12-28-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
RE: The AI. Yes, the AI wasn't too great, but it was the first FPS to actually try to implement a decent AI with enemies flanking you and calling in reinforcements instead of just stupidly running straight at you.

RE: The storyline. Who plays a FPS for the story? If you want a good story, pick up an RPG. 99% of all FPS have crappy stories.

RE: Lack of quicksave. I hated that too, but there was a user-made mod that added a quicksave function.

Ha, late reply on my part. That is why I don't really like FPS in general, cause the stories always suck. Now if my PS3 didn't break I could play this damn game.
Old 12-28-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really enjoying this game. I just got it and can't put it down. Jumping from platform to platform usually frustrates me to hell but it's pretty fair in the game. The shooting is kinda difficult but it makes you conserve your ammo. I'm digging this game even if all it is, is shooting and jumping.
Old 12-29-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes, even on "Easy", I suck at this game. Being massively outnumbered in rapid scene succession is just not something I'm having a lot of luck with. I've been out of gaming for a long time, so maybe I just don't have "the skills". Right now, it's a lot more frustrating than fun.

Looks gorgeous though.
Old 12-29-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what do people who beat the game think of the last few chapters (trying to be the least spoilerific as possible). I beat the game and loved it...had a ton of fun with it (and it was absolutely gorgeous), but it kinda surprised me where the game went to near the very end. I'm not saying I didn't like it, but it did surprise me a bit. Still, had a bunch of fun with this game and would love a sequel right now!
Old 01-02-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes, even on "Easy", I suck at this game. Being massively outnumbered in rapid scene succession is just not something I'm having a lot of luck with. I've been out of gaming for a long time, so maybe I just don't have "the skills". Right now, it's a lot more frustrating than fun.

Looks gorgeous though.
I take back what I said. Now that I have a strategy down for those situations, I've gotten a whole lot better.

I love this game.
Old 01-02-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I take back what I said. Now that I have a strategy down for those situations, I've gotten a whole lot better.

I love this game.
What's your strategy?
Old 01-02-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The strategy used to be: move forward as I take some guys out.

Now it's: stick to one well-defended area (usually a single pillar) and slowly work on taking guys out one-by-one. I initially focus on the most immediate threat: laser-sighted or "big gun" types. I only leave that pillar when a grenade is lobbed at me or if I need more ammo. Maybe not the most complicated strategy, but after biting it every two minutes in the beginning, I've had little problem since. This even works great on the jet-ski portions.
Old 01-02-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played the demo but all it seemed like was (as others have said) shooting and platforming. I got a little bored, to be honest. Initially I was excited because I thought the game was more about exploration.

So what's the story? Is it compelling enough to keep me interested?
Old 01-02-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The demo turned me off as well.. the moment I had to hide behind a rock to shoot people, I knew the game wasn't for me. It was also strange after playing Assassin's Creed to be so heavily restricted in my movement.. but that's probably not so much a fault of Drake's Fortune as much as a blinding success in how Assassin's Creed handled that. Also, the main female character in Drake's Fortune has a man face.. but that's not at all uncommon in America-made games, sadly.
Old 01-02-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i generally suck at FPS, but i find ways to get around the enemies in this game. The aiming is not all that bad (did i said i suck at FPS?). In general, i did better in this game (demo only) than Gears of War.

I haven't pick up this game yet, but will be if it goes like $30 or so. Working on Rachet (got it for $33, worth every penny).
Old 01-02-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Also, the main female character in Drake's Fortune has a man face.. but that's not at all uncommon in America-made games, sadly.
You mean she doesn't have huge eyes and tits?
Old 01-04-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just hit the final chapter (22) last night.

There's a lot more hints of Raiders here than I expected.
Old 01-04-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
i generally suck at FPS, but i find ways to get around the enemies in this game. The aiming is not all that bad (did i said i suck at FPS?). In general, i did better in this game (demo only) than Gears of War.

I haven't pick up this game yet, but will be if it goes like $30 or so. Working on Rachet (got it for $33, worth every penny).
I would disagree that Drake's is an FPS. It's a TPS.

To preempt joke:

Old 01-11-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I got this game yesterday, I have to say I'm really impressed.

If ABC was smart, they would have comissioned Naughty Dog to develop their Lost game. Of course, that would mean it'd be a PS3 title only and that wouldn't do.
Old 01-11-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You mean she doesn't have huge eyes and tits?
No, she looks like her genes were lightly rubbed with a Y chromosome.
Old 01-21-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those of you that have beat the game, perhaps you can tell me about how much longer I have to go before the end..
Spoiler:
I just got to the part where the creatures first attack you in the vault, I believe it is chapter 17.
Old 01-21-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flashburn
For those of you that have beat the game, perhaps you can tell me about how much longer I have to go before the end..
Spoiler:
I just got to the part where the creatures first attack you in the vault, I believe it is chapter 17.
Probably another hour or so.
Old 01-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's 5 more chapters from that point, so wouldn't you think it's more than that? After all, 5 chapters is nearly a quarter of the game.
Old 01-21-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am stuck on the stupid jet ski part. Do you have to stop to shoot the barrels with the gernade launcher?
Old 01-21-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I am stuck on the stupid jet ski part. Do you have to stop to shoot the barrels with the gernade launcher?
I either did that or just avoided them. Later on...
Spoiler:
There is a part where you only have a pistol instead of the grenade launcher, I just avoided pretty much all of the barrels instead of stopping to fire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.