Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Before you spend your $$ how do you research a game?

Old 11-08-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Before you spend your $$ how do you research a game?

The discussion in my other thread was starting to get into the problems of spending our hard earned $$$. So before you guys go to the store to buy a game how do you do research on it to know you will like it?

Do you rent? Ask a friend? Read online review? Guess?
Old 11-08-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None of my friends have Wii. I ask here, and review the boards at IGN.
Old 11-08-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I look here and at metacritic to get people's impressions of the game. If I'm not sold one way or the other, I poke around and see if I can find some gameplay videos to see if it appeals to me. Or, if it's a 360 game, I download a demo if one's available.
Old 11-08-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

game videos
reviews, both professional and personal (ie other players)
metacritic/gamerankings scores.
Love the demos on Xbox Live. I am also more of a fan of buying used from EB/GS since you can actually return stuff there.
Old 11-08-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Penny Arcade. (If they like a game, I will as well, almost always).
Metacritic
Here
Old 11-08-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pay for games?
Old 11-08-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
pay for games?
That's what I'm not used to. Things were different with my PSP, GBA, PS2, PS1.

Also I'm used to playing a game for a short time and getting bored with it and switching to another quickly
Old 11-08-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
That's what I'm not used to. Things were different with my PSP, GBA, PS2, PS1.

Also I'm used to playing a game for a short time and getting bored with it and switching to another quickly
I'm not talking piracy.
Old 11-08-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not talking piracy.

who said i was?
Old 11-08-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not talking piracy.
That's a shame. This game is well worth paying for:

Old 11-08-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
who said i was?
No one. Just making it clear.
Old 11-08-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
That's a shame. This game is well worth paying for:

Actually, you're right. This one is good.
Old 11-08-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing beats a fun demo in terms of convincing me to buy a game. If no demo is available, it's a harder sell ... I rely on reviews, past games by the developer, and how much I enjoyed similar games.
Old 11-08-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews, mostly.

I tend to only buy the "big" games, as I've tried to get into some of those "awesome but ignored" games in the past and haven't really enjoyed them. Recent examples include Shadow of the Colossus and Sly Cooper. I also go with my gut. I bought "Oblivion" based solely on hype when there was a part of me that worried I wouldn't like it. Turns out that part was right.

So I stick with my Halos and Guitar Heroes, Zeldas and Metroids. Can't really go wrong with those.
Old 11-08-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Reviews and game mags (EGM) mostly. But, I don't put any stock into the reviews. If there's something I know I want, I'll get it. For example, Super Mario Galaxy could be a steaming pile (which I know it isn't), but I'd still get it.
Old 11-08-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Reviews, mostly.

I tend to only buy the "big" games, as I've tried to get into some of those "awesome but ignored" games in the past and haven't really enjoyed them. Recent examples include Shadow of the Colossus and Sly Cooper. I also go with my gut. I bought "Oblivion" based solely on hype when there was a part of me that worried I wouldn't like it. Turns out that part was right.

So I stick with my Halos and Guitar Heroes, Zeldas and Metroids. Can't really go wrong with those.
You didn't like Oblivion? I was planning to order it
Old 11-08-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on where in the gamecycle it is.

I've only pre-ordered a handful of games in the past few years (Bioshock and Halo 3 recently), and both those had well-deserved hype.

For games that are out, I look on here and CAG for the threads about it. Or ask about it in the general thread if it's not as big/popular now. I always check out IGN and Gamespot, and then I usually look at metacritic for a more diverse range of reviews, I like to know some of the complaints.

Just recently I started using Gamefly. It's good, I get a lot of the "Rental" games out of the way (like The BIGS), and have found quite a few games I thought I wanted but quickly grew bored of.
Old 11-08-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ditto for metacritic for reviews. I'll use YouTube as well to see the actual gameplay as well. Also, I tend to compare prices online and in-store to make sure I'm getting a good deal. Usually I wait for a good deal on the game before I buy, unless it's a hard-to-find or out-of-print title. Each game purchase costs me $10, on average, and I like to keep it that way.
Old 11-08-07, 03:21 PM

I'm new to console gaming and just picked up a Wii for the family and am finding it difficult to find a site that lists all of the specifications of the games. Things important to me are multiplayer and if I can play online with my brother, number of players, widescreen support and other tech specs, etc.
For example, I usually have to end up reading several reviews to find multiplayer info buried towards the end of the review. I did stumble on a wikipedia entry for wii multiplayer games which helped me narrow down a starting point of games to look at. But even then, when researching Super Mario Galaxy it took me a while to find a description of how it was multiplayer or for Mario Party 8 that there was no online multiplayer...

Maybe as I become more well versed in aspects of console gaming I won't mind digging for the information but it would be great to know of a site that categorized the games beyond a simple platform/genre breakdown so I could easily find games I might be interested in without having to sift through them all.
I'll check out some of the sites listed in this thread to see if they offer what I'm looking for but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-07, 03:39 PM

I read forums and newsgroup dedicated to the game/genre. If postings there make the game seem promising I'll download the demo.
Old 11-08-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.gamerankings.com
Old 11-08-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Demos are the best. I rarely read reviews because I rarely agree with them.
Old 11-08-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Friends online, Penny Arcade, and the 1Up Yours podcast.
Old 11-08-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stick to main titles that I'm familiar with and research from there.. thru EGM or IGN. For some it's word of mouth from friends.
Old 11-08-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually try to watch gameplay videos (not trailers), usually at gametrailers.com, and I also like to see the teamxbox.com reviews if I can. They usually seem to run in line with my tastes, and I like how much detail they go into for each game. I used to check this forum, but these days, all discussion in a thread (for 360 games) seems to immediately go into multiplayer capabilities as soon as the game comes out. I don't play online, so that never does me much good.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.