DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   World of Warcraft - I'm *BANNED* .. and innocent (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/516417-world-warcraft-im-%2Abanned%2A-innocent.html)

ravan 11-05-07 09:44 PM

World of Warcraft - I'm *BANNED* .. and innocent

Thats what they all say?

So I played WoW when it just came out for 4-5 months, and got tired of it and cancelled my account.

Last december I got a stern email saying my account was banned for hacking or similar (i assume some goldfarmer hacked it somehow, not sure how). I didnt really care as I hadnt been playing for 2 years + but I dropped bliz an email about it and they said to unban, i had to fax in stuff etc.

I didnt really care, so just let it be.

Then some good friends got back into it and I thought i'd hang out and reactivate, so i faxed in the thing this morning.

Then I went to the store to buy burning crusade and saw the $39 pack with the original WoW plus strategy guides for both. figuring i get the 1st month gameplay free, that was a nice deal, so i picked it up and set up a new account, figuring screw the old one.

Lo and behold.. after installing WoW getting ready to log in - my NEW account is ALSO banned.. after having never been logged in.

So I have two retail copies, one expansion and still cant play :)

I emailed their support where the friendly responder robot estimates 'several days if ever' in terms of getting back to me.

I feel moderately disappointed with their procedures, considering i'm not at fault in any of this (or at least in my mind i'm not).

Supermallet 11-05-07 09:46 PM

All this and you have to pay every month, too. I hate MMO's.

RyoHazuki 11-05-07 09:56 PM

Hey they just handed you your life back. You should thank them.

ravan 11-05-07 11:54 PM

I'm not concerned about getting sucked into it, i did my time during the MUD days :)

fumanstan 11-06-07 12:10 AM

I can't see how a brand new account would be auto-banned, unless you have something on your PC or a stolen credit card or something.

glassdragon 11-06-07 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I can't see how a brand new account would be auto-banned, unless you have something on your PC or a stolen credit card or something.

What he said..

I troll the Customer service forums a lot over there and I have never seen an account get banned without ever having logged in. Sounds like some kind of bug or something.

nickdawgy 11-06-07 12:39 AM

Maybe you used the same address or email or something else similar.

tjr2mental 11-06-07 06:53 AM

As an avid Warcraft forum reader I have actually seen this before. Two times really.

The first was made to use a different credit card due to the fact that the owners past account was banned which was tied to that credit card number. Once he put a new card to the account it was deemed fine by blizzard and they activated the account once more.

The second one was just messed up from the get go. A girl used her dads card for a new account that she made to play with her boyfriend. Dad has never played, nor had his card given out for anyone to pay for the game before, but some how it was linked to a account that was banned before. Once some of the blues looked into it the card number was released and she was able to play the account with no problems.

Should be all fixed up for ya in a day or so (thats how long it was for the two I mentioned anyhow I think).

ravan 11-06-07 08:58 AM

I am thinking its because i had / have the same email on the two accounts. It cant be the same creditcard number, I just got a new amex 6 months or so ago.

Anyway - the drama goes on!

DamingR 11-06-07 09:09 AM

TJ,

Czar is wanting to talk to you. Please contact him or at least give him your e-mail addy.

ravan 11-06-07 09:18 AM

oh.. just got two emails from WoW - nothing about the specific case but they reset my password for some reason. Maybe i should try and log on.. is there a way to see if an account is activated for Burning Crusade? (without actually logging in)

fumanstan 11-06-07 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ravan
oh.. just got two emails from WoW - nothing about the specific case but they reset my password for some reason. Maybe i should try and log on.. is there a way to see if an account is activated for Burning Crusade? (without actually logging in)

It says on the account management page.

https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/menu.html

tjr2mental 11-06-07 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
TJ,

Czar is wanting to talk to you. Please contact him or at least give him your e-mail addy.

I so suck! Got a new pc and did not put 8BB on the bar. /endlife

xmiyux 11-06-07 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ravan
I'm not concerned about getting sucked into it, i did my time during the MUD days :)

Man oh man those were the days. I spent ridiculous amounts of time mudding in college.

sk8r1189 11-06-07 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Maybe you used the same address or email or something else similar.

They ban off IP address' from what I've been told.
Just to be safe I'd run a few different virus scans and ad-ware scans.

ravan 11-07-07 09:09 AM

update.. both accounts are now *unlocked* .. amazing! no explanation of course just a 'we have reviewed and you are now unbanned' type thing.

yes mudding was awesome.. i ran one for 3-4 years as well. actually its still running at telnet mud.valheru.com 4242 (yes telnet people....).

The Bus 11-07-07 09:13 AM

Heh, I just logged on for a second to check it out. :up:

Canis Firebrand 11-07-07 09:25 AM

I will have to check out that mud tonight as well.

I played a bit back in the day and even helped develop one, though it never made it out, but it was a learning experience.

ravan 11-08-07 11:23 AM

One of my best friends is one of the original 4 developers of dikumud - one of the very very early ones... there was lpmud, tinymud and dikumud as the original muds i think, most of forks off those.

dikumud became valhalla since. I wrote some of the early zones as well, prob not in anymore. One was 'ofcol'. LOL just googled it. ofcol is still in play but modified in several muds.

xmiyux 11-08-07 12:15 PM

That is awesome. I sold all the equipment on my character on JediMud for almost 1200$ to some guy online. It was sweet money back in college. We also designed a mud that stayed up for a couple years. It was called CyberAssault and i was one of the designers. Even had a statue in the Museum of the Gods. Jinx was my name on that mud and my statue loaded rainbow-sleeves because of my propensity for wearing long sleeve tie-dye shirts underneath tshirts in college. :lol:

On topic though, i'm glad the OP got his stuff unbanned. It seems weird though that it would be banned and then unbanned with no explanation at any point.