DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Do you have a game graveyard, or do you just trade/sell your games? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/516366-do-you-have-game-graveyard-do-you-just-trade-sell-your-games.html)

nickdawgy 11-05-07 11:56 AM

Do you have a game graveyard, or do you just trade/sell your games?

I was bored, so I wanted to ask:

When you're done with a game, tired of it, or want something better (ie Strangehold is fun but I really want Assassins Creed and money is scarce) what do you do?

I find myself sometimes trading games in, but only when they have the better deals. If I trade in two games I am done with or will no longer play for something I will play now, I usually do it.

I know some people keep all their games and never trade them. Is it because you're well off enough that $$ aren't a problem or because you're a collector?

I also see people buying games because there's a sale, and then putting the game on the backburner. I never understood this because by the time you get to the game, it's a GH title or cheaper then the sale that you got it for in the first place.

Thoughts?

Gideon68 11-05-07 12:10 PM

I'm far from being well off but I regretted getting rid of a lot of my Genesis and SNES games so now I keep them. I am also a collector. As for buying games, over the years I find that most games drop in price pretty quickly. I wait for good sales, BOGO free, clearance, anything where I don't usually have to spend more than $20 if possible. Since I have a huge backlog of games, from the games I stock up on during these deals, I can wait for the prices to drop.

PixyJunket 11-05-07 12:22 PM

I trade and sell stuff that I don't feel I'll play again.

Actually, that's a lie.. that's what I'd LIKE to do, but I'm too lazy and/or stupid. I could trade them in to a mom and pop shop near me for good credit or sell them on Amazon/eBay for more actual cash. Option two is what I want to do but hate the process.. I need to learn myself to start using option one.

taffer 11-05-07 12:27 PM

I don't have much money, but I always keep games that I enjoy. I only like a handful of genres, so I don't buy as many games as some people. I am not a one-playthrough gamer, so I play through the same game multiple times. If I don't like the game or just can't get into it for whatever reason, then I will toss it on ebay, but I keep 90-95% of the games I buy.

CKMorpheus 11-05-07 12:29 PM

Play em, get bored of em, trade em in for more games.

xVladx 11-05-07 12:32 PM

Thankfully, I've purchased very few games that I've disliked enough to want to get rid of once I'm done with them. I've found that I never know which games I'll be itching to go back and play a little of later on down the road, so I never really bother getting rid of them.

Not only that, but I rarely buy games when they're full price, anyway. Unless it's something that I know I'm going to really enjoy, I'll wait until I can pick up the game for much cheaper, either used or through a price drop. So, since most of my games were pretty cheap when I bought them, I'd be getting next to nothing in trade-in value, and I can't stand dealing with eBay.

Michael Corvin 11-05-07 12:36 PM

Gah... feeding that Gamestop wheel. Screw that.

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

Actually, that's a lie.. that's what I'd LIKE to do, but I'm too lazy and/or stupid. I could trade them in to a mom and pop shop near me for good credit or sell them on Amazon/eBay for more actual cash. Option two is what I want to do but hate the process.. I need to learn myself to start using option one.

half.com. List them reasonably priced and forget about it, they will sell. All you have to do is pack and ship.

I sell while a game still has reasonable resell value, I sell. If it dips below that imaginary line where there is little value I'll keep.

Nickdawgy, what do you want for Stranglehold? :)

The Bus 11-05-07 12:37 PM

I refuse to trade games in because they give you so little for them. I'd rather pay $6 more for a game and have the ability to replay some game in the future.

Plus, I'm a big fan of lending games (and being lent games in return). When a friend of mine got a 360 a few months ago I sent him a box of about a dozen games. He played them for a few months and sent me a T-shirt. Fair deal.

Lastblade 11-05-07 12:52 PM

I sell used games in various forums, etc.

nickdawgy 11-05-07 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

I've noticed that eBay gives alot less now for games then they used to. I would buy a game for $60, finish it in a week or so, and then get $45+ for the game. Now it's $25-$30 if you're lucky.

zekeburger1979 11-05-07 02:15 PM

I always keep my games. Right now, I've got Chrono Cross and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and no Playstation to play them on!

boston george 11-05-07 02:19 PM

I used to always trade in my games. Now I regret it so I don't anymore usually. Unless it's like Tony Hawk or something and I get the new one. I don't buy games anymore unless I really like them and i mostly plat RPGs.

I wish I still had all my PS1 games. I had sooooo many good games over the years I regret the most from PS1:

Tales of Destiny 1 & 2
Suikoden 1& 2
Xenogears
Lunar 1 & 2 box sets
Dragon Quest 7

Decadance 11-05-07 02:29 PM

I ebay games when I am done with them. I keep the ones that have high replay value. It allows me to get more games typically.

starseed1981 11-05-07 02:31 PM

I have a graveyard. I don't sell anything. Scratch that, I do update Madden every year (gotta love the $3.00 trade in value of last years edition I yearly get).

Draven 11-05-07 02:55 PM

If I don't see myself playing the game in the next 6 months, it goes to eBay. There are too many new games I want to try to bother holding on to things that apparently have only marginal appeal to me.

C-Mart 11-05-07 03:02 PM

I tend to keep games... but I don't buy that many to begin with. Since meeting my wife her family has bought me more games than I tend to buy for myself.

C-Mart 11-05-07 03:02 PM

I tend to keep games... but I don't buy that many to begin with. Since meeting my wife her family has bought me more games than I tend to buy for myself.

Silt 11-05-07 03:09 PM

I keep all of the games I buy and also keep the boxes for every game I buy. Someday I should build something to display them all, instead of keeping them in plastic crates in the garage/storage.

spainlinx0 11-05-07 03:15 PM

I keep them, and I don't know why. Sometimes I will go back and replay them, but I think I just like having that reminder of how many hours I have spent on something, and all I have to show for it is a game save and a disc or cartridge.

gotrice487 11-05-07 03:21 PM

I normally just sell them unless I'll get absolutely nothing or next to it in value then I keep them

Kuroc 11-05-07 03:36 PM

I've traded in games in the past. But after a few times of not getting very much for them. I just collect them now.

Also I bought a few games off of ebay, like lunar and xenogears.

Michael Corvin 11-05-07 03:39 PM

I used to keep everything up until the Gamecube launched. I sold all my NES/SNES stuff so I didn't have to spend anything out of pocket on it. I don't regret it, I never hooked the thing up. They were dust collectors.

Same this gen. I came into this gen with nothing from last gen. Sold all my Xbox/Gamecube stuff, save for the Wavebirds/Memory cards, and didn't look back. There are only three games I regret getting rid of, BG&E, Prince of Persia, and Eternal Darkness. BG&E still isn't back compat, so that wouldn't have mattered anyway. The other two I can pick up ultra cheap if I'm dying to play them.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I've noticed that eBay gives alot less now for games then they used to. I would buy a game for $60, finish it in a week or so, and then get $45+ for the game. Now it's $25-$30 if you're lucky.

I do the same, but like I said I do it on half.com. $45 a week later is still possible there, but there are always exceptions. A triple-A title like Halo and Bioshock flood the market so there will be more people selling and driving the price down. The B titles or low A titles tend to remain at a higher price.

nickdawgy 11-05-07 05:37 PM

My thinking is if I really like a game but don't have time for it, I'll trade it in and buy it later when it's cheap. Which never happens :lol:

I remember the Star Ocean game for PS2. Great game, put in about 40 hours (this was before I played WoW) and I traded it in, got it for $5 down the line later on, and never opened it. Ended up trading it a second time.

thegame370 11-05-07 06:04 PM

I keep all my stuff. I consider them as collectibles. I have old NES games, Sega CD games and things like that. Now if i pruchase a game and im instantly disinterested with it, then i usually trade em in if i cant bring it back.

wmunn 11-05-07 07:35 PM

over the years I have amassed quite a collection. Early on I would get rid of stuff, but then I went on an ebay spree getting back all the stuff from my childhood. I currently have the bases covered from NES to wii, while sitting out on the xbox and 360, also no ps3 yet. Not sure if I ever will get those. I still need to dig an old atari up, if only for posterity sake.

One of my retro gaming moments that really put a smile on my face was getting a used atari lynx and popping in the stun runner cart. I really loved that when it hit the arcade, the lynx version did not disappoint.