Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

*RED HOT* Free $25 GC w/Super Mario Galaxy at TRU(11/11-11/17)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

*RED HOT* Free $25 GC w/Super Mario Galaxy at TRU(11/11-11/17)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
What a huge fricking joke.

I stopped by the TRU that I pre-ordered the game from at 5pm. There were about 25 or so people already waiting in line for it, not all pre-orders. They finally came out and told us about 5:15, after a few people asked for an update, that they didn't have the game yet. They didn't know where it was and their district manager was on the phone trying to figure out where they were. They said no TRU in the area got them. They took all are names and phone number and had us notate if we pre-ordered or not.

They then said they def would not have them tonight. At least they did say that pre-orders would be notified first.
My wife got the same story tonight for the San Antonio stores.
Old 11-13-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My wife got the same story tonight for the San Antonio stores.
Grrrrrumble...definitely weak sauce...wonder whether they're trying to curb their losses on this one at the corporate level.

At any rate, I just got home, and even if I went tonight, I wouldn't really have much time to play. I think I'll just send my fiance tomorrow maybe play some Mario 64 tonight.

Good luck fellas.
Old 11-13-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Pisses me off that they closed the TRU by Ingram. I could get there in 5 mins. Ive never been to Guajillos though. I go to Ritas on Bandera, everything there is the shit.

I havent bothered with TRU today. Has any SAians gotten it? I wont go till they get REUC in. I hope theyre holding my preorder!
Agreed about Ingram, but it was a bit on the ghetto side.

As far as UC goes, I'd wait for the buy 2 get 1 free sale next week and use the gift card for UC and a couple other games.

Guajillo's is highly recommended...central mexican...thick mole sauces...chilaquiles...dark tortilla soup...

Will have to check out Ritas sometime.
Old 11-13-07, 06:23 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
Add me to the pissed list...

... I got out of class at 4:30 PM, called TRU and it rang and rang and rang. No one ever answered.

So I fugured what the heck and took the 5 minute detour off 281 and hit the TRU around 5:20 PM.

Got the same story as mentioned above.

My name is on the list.

The pissed list!
Old 11-13-07, 06:29 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should offer some kind of compensation for the time and the fact that we were waiting and expected the game today, as per their flyer.
Something like a 20% off coupon for a future game purchase would be nice.
Old 11-13-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I drove by the Forum after work and they didn't offer to put my name on a list to call even though I pre-ordered. Oh well, I'm sure I'll hear from you guys anyway.
Old 11-13-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Struck out also. They never got them in is what they told me and the 4 other people around me. They were taking names and numbers and they are supposed to call when they get them in. I was number 45 on the list. Wish me luck.
Old 11-13-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

got mine today at 5ish, can't believe this deal plus the free coin since I reserved it. awesomeness.

can't wait to play!
Old 11-13-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yippeeeee! I just got home. After work, I stopped by Toy's R Us to pick up my pre-order. After a little scare with the Collectible Coin (the guy handing out the game said they were out of it), I got my game, the $25.00 Gift Card, and the Collectible Coin! I'm just now putting the game in, and getting ready to experience Super Mario Galaxy for the first time!

I did hear them telling people on the phone, and at the store, that they were out of the game, except for those that had a pre-order. I know there were a few that were disappointed.

I am sorry to hear that some of you still don't have it, yet. Hopefully they will get this worked out. I'm telling you, even though this is a great deal, with the Gift Card, it's been a deal that hasn't been as easy as it sounded.
Old 11-13-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Just picked up my copy at Best Buy. They had about 5 copies on the rack.

They also pricematched and gave me a $25 giftcard.
Yep, I went by the TRU in Greenwood, IN at lunchtime today and they said, we won't be selling them until 5. I stated that the ad said by 5, but the video game clerk was holding to the 5 PM to start selling them. They also would not let me pre-order as it was day of release (which is kind of a joke since they didn't have the game).

Stopped by the TRU svc desk and that person indicated they didn't have them in the store yet, so I went across the street to Best Buy, and PM'd and got the game and the $25 GC, no issues, in and out in 5 minutes.

Best PM experience I've ever had at Best Buy, and didn't really expect it to fly. I'd rather have the Best Buy GC anyway.
Old 11-13-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bahgee
Any fellow NYC DVDtalkers check out the Times Square TRU yet?

Well I'll answer my own post. My wife went at 5:05 and the guy was just loading them on the shelves. Got the game and $25 GC - no hassle. She siad he was putting out a lot on the shelves and that a few people were there waiting when she got there.
Old 11-13-07, 07:42 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I've finally gotten my game from Toys R Us and am currently loving it, I'm still keeping watch in this thread since I'm only 5 or so hours removed from the struggle. For the people that drove long distances or showed up after 5pm that were SOL, I really feel for you. I wish I had the gonads to say to hell with Toys R Us, but I can't miss out on Buy 2 Get 1 Free can I?
Old 11-13-07, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
What a huge fricking joke.

I stopped by the TRU that I pre-ordered the game from at 5pm. There were about 25 or so people already waiting in line for it, not all pre-orders. They finally came out and told us about 5:15, after a few people asked for an update, that they didn't have the game yet. They didn't know where it was and their district manager was on the phone trying to figure out where they were. They said no TRU in the area got them. They took all are names and phone number and had us notate if we pre-ordered or not.

They then said they def would not have them tonight. At least they did say that pre-orders would be notified first.

I stopped in my metro Detroit TRU about 2, and there were several others waiting for a copy, and a TRU employee said nothing had come in, and to call back later. Stopped on my way back home about 8, and they told me they hadn't received them, but promised "110%" they would have them tomorrow. Great.
Old 11-13-07, 07:56 PM

Just got the call from the wife. She was the last one they let through the door. The guy in front of her didn't get the coin, but she asked and he guy rolled his eyes, but reached under the counter and gave her one anyway. On her way out she heard the guy behind her giving the employees hell. He had a pre-order and was pissed. Apparently they sold 47 pre-orders but only got 12 copies of the game. Now I get to go on Thursday and use this $25 card to buy my other pre-order (xmas gift for a friend) and use that GC to buy another xmas gift.
Old 11-13-07, 07:58 PM
Cool New Member

I am in Detroit area also. TRU guy said that there are no copies in this area. He said they should have it by friday morning. To get the $25 card you have to buy the game before 10pm saturday night. Everyone who preordered has a copy for sure ( right ). They said they had 60 some extra copies for those who did not preorder. They started a rain-check list.

I did not check any other retailers in my area to see if they had the game.

I had an easier time getting the Wii on release day and I didn't even preorder that.

Later

Swarty
Old 11-13-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We hit the south Austin store and they didn't get their shipment in. There were signs on the door stating they didn't have it. According to the salesperson, it is all because yesterday was a holiday and they didn't get their delivery. For this store there were something like 27 pre-orders, but I heard the clerk say they were guaranteed to get 100 copies in.
Old 11-13-07, 08:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

See, that is the BS in all this. If they are using that excuse, why did some stores get it today while others didn't? They should have just put it in the ad as releasing Wednesday.
Old 11-13-07, 08:21 PM

it sounds like a lot of tru got screwed by DHL
Old 11-13-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pre-ordered last week and picked mine up at Toys R Us w/o any hassle. Gave me the coin (what am I gonna do with this thing?) and GC. The guy right behind me asked for two copies (he didn't have a pre-order) and they told him they were all sold out. Man, glad I pre-ordered!
Old 11-13-07, 08:35 PM

Same business in Southern California. I went to TRU (Alhambra, CA) and was told that DHL messed up their orders for the area and no TRU has one. The best estimate is tomorrow at 5PM. There were many an angry person this day!
Old 11-13-07, 08:38 PM

lol they should have gave out DHL's customer support #
would have been funny if everyone called DHL and complained
Old 11-13-07, 08:48 PM
Banned

My TRU sold the game to whoever came in, preorders be damned.
Old 11-13-07, 09:27 PM

Went by TRU in OKC this afternoon around 3pm. Got the game, the GC, and the coin. The salesguy said "do you want a free remote glove?" I say "sure" so he goes and grabs one off the rack and threw it in the bag. I noticed he had a printout with the TRU letterhead and a bar code on it (which he scanned) so this may be worth asking about when you pick up your copy. I think it was only for those that pre-ordered. Its an official Nintendo Remote Glove. Great deal!
Old 11-13-07, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
My TRU sold the game to whoever came in, preorders be damned.

That sucks and is just inexcusable. I could understand if they simply didn't get enough to cover the pre-orders, but to just randomly sell all of their copies to whoever shows up? Bullshit.

On a happier note, I got mine tonight from TRU with the gift card and coin around 8:45 p.m. I asked the clerk if a lot of people had been coming in for it today and he said that they sold out of every "extra" copy they had pretty early on. The only ones that they had left were for pre-orders.

I was also able to use that 15% off Babies R Us coupon from the CAG thread to bring SMG down to $42.50. Then I used the $25 gift card to pick up Zack & Wiki for $15! (I heard about the B2G1 deal starting next week, but figured I might as well just use the gift card now. I imagine these two are enough to keep me busy for awhile!) I really haven't bought a game since Wii Play back in February anyway, so I'm more of a casual gamer at this point in my life.
Old 11-13-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I preordered and went in to my Toys R Us tonight around 5:30 after getting off of work and got denied. They only had like six copies at store open and said they would be getting several more in laater tonight/tomorrow morning and he guaranteed that everyone who pre-ordered would get their copy tomorrow. I'm glad at least my Toys R Us is only five minutes from where I work or I'd be really irritated.

Kinda frustrating situation...isn't that why people pre order to begin with to get the game on release date? I want my Mario...at least I have my very good friends Ratchet and Clank to keep me company (I think I've got at least a couple of levels of that game left).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.