Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 3 Child Attacks Mother and Police

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halo 3 Child Attacks Mother and Police

A juvenile fan of the video game Halo 3 is accused of punching his mother after she forced him to end his game Sunday night and fighting with sheriff’s deputies as they tried to restrain him, according to reports released Wednesday.

Indian River County Sheriff’s Deputy Sean Harnage reported responding to the family’s home at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday in reference to an “out-of-control child.”

The parents told deputies their son was playing Halo 3, and it was getting late and he needed to shut it off. When the son refused to turn off the game, the parents reportedly took the air card out of his machine so he couldn’t play anymore.

Reports show the son became enraged, went through the house looking for the air card, and then punched his mother, prompting the parents to call the Sheriff’s Office.

After the boy retreated to his bedroom and locked it, the mother knocked on the door and told him he needed to come out and talk to the deputies, the report stated. But the juvenile allegedly responded with profanity.

Harnage and another deputy entered the room using a key from the parents to arrest the son, according to the report. The son fought the deputies - at one time punching Harnage on the lip - until they handcuffed him.

He was later turned over to state juvenile authorities on charges of battery-domestic violence and battery on a law-enforcement officer.

The son’s and parents’ names are being withheld because of the juvenile’s age.
Wait, I thought it was an M Rated game?
Old 11-02-07, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack Thompson will have a field day with this.
Old 11-02-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
It says he is a juvenile but does anyone know his exact age? A 12 year old acting like this vs. a 17 year old is a big difference.
Old 11-02-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It says he is a juvenile but does anyone know his exact age? A 12 year old acting like this vs. a 17 year old is a big difference.
How? I would say if you're acting like that at any age you have serious mental problems.
Old 11-02-07, 08:00 AM
Banned

I wonder what this kid will do when his 360 gets the RROD? He will really go on a rampage then.
Old 11-02-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I blame Bungie - the game is just too good
Old 11-02-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I act like that kid anytime I try to play Halo 3 multiplayer. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Glad I sold that suck ass game.
Old 11-02-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
I wonder what this kid will do when his 360 gets the RROD? He will really go on a rampage then.
Running Riot!
Old 11-02-07, 09:31 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Wow... ok, first of all...

What's an "Air Card"?

Second of all....

Nobody under 17 should be playing the game! I know, i know, just last night I was on a team with 2 8 year olds and an 11 year old... ugg!

Third of all...

Since when did the police become a substitute for parenting a child? I'm sorry, but back in the day if I ever hit my parents my father would give me the what's for and I deserved it. You want to hit your parents and lock yourself in your room? Have fun being toted to school and deprived of everything you love for the next 6 months. What's the point of calling the cops?
Old 11-02-07, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly

What's an "Air Card"?

Second of all....

Nobody under 17 should be playing the game! I know, i know, just last night I was on a team with 2 8 year olds and an 11 year old... ugg!

Third of all...

Since when did the police become a substitute for parenting a child? I'm sorry, but back in the day if I ever hit my parents my father would give me the what's for and I deserved it. You want to hit your parents and lock yourself in your room? Have fun being toted to school and deprived of everything you love for the next 6 months. What's the point of calling the cops?
1. An "air card" is a term for a wireless modem, according to Wikipedia.

2. Halo 3 is "M"-rated, and yet minors still find ways to play the game. Blame for this is pretty equal: Ignorant parents, slacking retailers, and kids who think they're entitled to do whatever they damned well please.

3. Parenting is not as powerful as it once was. Many families have only one parent, and those with two parents find both working with some latchkey time for kids in-between. Combine this with a shameful lack of personal responsibility in today's society ("I didn't do it... the games made me do it... OR My tough life made me do it. OR I had a bad childhood. OR...). Plus, social service groups in many states are just waiting to pounce on parents who exercise corporal punishment (like DSS here in MA, as you know).

The ESRB is all that the gaming industry can do to police itself, and yet minors and parents alike undermine the ESRB every day. Kids think they can play what they want, because it doesn't effect them; it's a repugnant entitlement attitude that grows stronger with each passing generation. Parents don't want to hear their kids complain because some store won't sell a game to the kid; during my time in retail, I've had a few parents lay into me because I wouldn't sell a game to their kid because of the "M" rating. "Just sell me the damned game, already. I don't have time for this crap."

Then again, with games like Manhunt 2 out there, which clearly try to test the waters of controversy with its brutal content, the industry isn't helping itself. We never needed games like this once the industry restarted with the NES, and, in my humble opinion: We don't need them now.
Old 11-02-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly

What's an "Air Card"?

Second of all....

Third of all...

Why call the cops? Because we live up in a f'ed up world now where if you so much as lay a hand on your kid you could be the one being hauled off in cuffs by the cops. DCFS could take your kids away from you then, but in the case of this kid it could actually be a good thing I suppose True if you parent your kids correctly and you truly are the "law" in that household then something like this would not happen. We definitely know who runs the house in this case though since say the juvenille was around 12 or so he should not have even been allowed to be up at that time of night unless it was not a school night which I doubt is the case. Just sad.

Never heard of an Air Card but it somehow must keep the system or most likely keep the tv from powering up perhaps.
Old 11-02-07, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Why call the cops? Because we live up in a f'ed up world now where if you so much as lay a hand on your kid you could be the one being hauled off in cuffs by the cops.
Quoted for (unfortunate) truth.

For whatever reason, society automatically takes the child's side in situations such as this. If you exercise corporal punishment, and your child tells someone at school about it, you can almost always expect a phone call from your state's child services office-- and even a possible investigation.

I was only spanked a couple of times in my youth, but it was a deterrent enough for me to not be completely out of line, like this kid was. Grounding can only do so much, IMO, and taking away the kid's console may sound easy-- but if the kid acts out over turning it off, imagine his reaction if Mom took it away completely? Yeesh. Down goes Mom! Down goes Mom!
Old 11-02-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He probably got spawn killed. That pisses me off to no end.
Old 11-02-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
If I had a child that did that to me, I would break the fucking Xbox over his head, and I don't think a single parent would blame me. Though I doubt I'd ever let things get that far - for starters, I'd never buy my underage child an M-rated game.
Old 11-02-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What kind of parent allows a kid to have a lock on their bedroom door anyways?
Old 11-02-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
If I had a child that did that to me, I would break the fucking Xbox over his head, and I don't think a single parent would blame me. Though I doubt I'd ever let things get that far - for starters, I'd never buy my underage child an M-rated game.

My parents let me play m-rated games all the time when I was a kid, and I turned out just fine (I think). They exercised discretion, thought I could handle it, and they were right.

Back on topic, though: this kid just creates more ammunition for people like Jack Thompson.

And by the way, does anyone else find at least one news story a day that makes them think: "Wow, there really is no hope for America"?
Old 11-02-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
My 5 & 7 year olds play H3 all the time. My 7 year old beat Halo 1 when he was 3, and Halo 2 when he was 5.
Old 11-02-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by awil1026
My parents let me play m-rated games all the time when I was a kid, and I turned out just fine (I think).
You just made me feel really old, because video games didn't even have ratings until after I graduated college. So you're probably still too young to know how you might "turn out".
Old 11-02-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
You just made me feel really old, because video games didn't even have ratings until after I graduated college. So you're probably still too young to know how you might "turn out".
I had to 'wiki' the ESRB to see when they went into effect. 1994, my senior year of high school. Even at that you have to figure the most violent games at the time were Mortal Kombat and Doom which are laughable by today's standards.

So while I'm a tad younger than you, I never had to worry about or even paid any attention to the ratings.
Old 11-02-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well Time Killers came out in '92 and I remember that had beheadings and all of that stuff as well.

I also remember playing Narc when I was younger and you could blow up people into pieces with the rocket launcher. Graphics back then just weren't good enough to have realistic "violence." It can be much more realistic looking now.
Old 11-02-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
the parent should take the 360 away and replace it with this:

Old 11-02-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least he didn't jump out the window.....
Old 11-02-07, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I act like that kid anytime I try to play Halo 3 multiplayer. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Spawn run for 5 sec....die. Glad I sold that suck ass game.
Yes, it's the game that sucks.
Old 11-02-07, 04:54 PM

When are kids going to learn. Punch your parents and you'll definitely not be playing any more. Shoot them and you can play all you want.
Old 11-02-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
Yes, it's the game that sucks.

Don't seem to have that problem with any other multilayer shooters. But Halo has the problem were you shoot them 20 times and they stay alive until they run up and shoot you twice then you die. COD4 Beta never had that problem. I owned at that game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.