DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official PS3 Thread - x.1 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/515830-official-ps3-thread-x-1-a.html)

Liver&Onions 10-30-07 11:40 AM

Official PS3 Thread - x.1

PS3 stuff goes here.

SteelgearX 10-30-07 03:05 PM

coqui.

Liver&Onions 10-30-07 03:41 PM

Pretty much.

Decker 10-30-07 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
PS3 stuff goes here.

Funny, I thought all PS3 posts were in the HD Talk forum.

Spoiler:
....well, except for Ratchet & Clank anyways.

ThePhantomGoat 10-30-07 04:27 PM

had a 40GB system in my hands today... and walmart wouldn't sell it to me. :(

Michael Corvin 10-30-07 05:36 PM

They're itching for every sale they can get and consumers are getting turned away at the register. Gotta love it. :lol:

Harry Lime 10-30-07 07:42 PM

40GB PS3 gets 65nm Chip and new motherboard
Posted Oct 30, 2007 at 09:35AM by Isaac C.

Despite knowing that you can't kill a PlayStation 3 whether you play it in the back of a freezer van or a heat sauna, Sony still takes it to the next level by incorporating the 65nm Cell chip on the new 40GB models. (They probably aim to make it nigh indestructible.)

The addition of the Cell chip lets the PS3 reduce its power consumption, bringing it down to 135 Watts from 200 Watts. The console then runs cooler and quieter, which as any gamer who plays for an extended period of time will know is always a good thing.

Aside from the Cell chip, the new 40GB console insides (as opposed to the recent comparison of the outside) have been considerably tinkered with (in a good way, to be sure). The heat pipe is smaller and the motherboard has been changed with a new version, which now has a battery to keep the system time when the console is off.

It's been reported way back when that the 65nm Cell chip would land on the PS3 (it just landed on the Xbox 360 first is all). It was also expected to land on a new PS3 model with lower manufacturing costs (which the 40GB console definitely is), which may suggest that plans for a 40GB console may have been in the works as early as then.
http://ps3.qj.net/40GB-PS3-gets-65nm.../49/aid/106403
http://www.computerbase.de/news/cons...-nm-cell_-rsx/

NiCK Crush 10-31-07 01:10 AM

i have been thinking about getting a PS3 for a couple weeks now, and had a few questions...

1. Should i go ahead and get the 80GB bundle with MotorStorm, or wait for the new 40GB version? I've heard people have a hard time using up the space on the 60GB...

2. I dont have a HDTV at the moment but have every intention of getting one in the next 6 months. How bad does the PS3 look on a standard defintion set?

3. Let me know of anything else I need to know before picking up a PS3...

-NiCK

vvxiao 10-31-07 01:41 AM

PS3 accessory

To NiCK
i am new here and also very fresh about viedo games! but i am rather familier with the PS3 accessory because my brother always let me buy for him like Dual Shock Controllers , Wireless Joypads etc. and as i know the accessory is easily to damage! Give u this site for accessory, hope u can know more abou the PS3! Also u can google some knowledge about PS3 and know more!

regards

mrglass 10-31-07 07:18 AM

Nick,

I'm in the same boat and am leaning towards picking up the 80 GB version this weekend. I was contemplating the 40, but backwards compatibilty is somewhat important to me. Even though I have a PS2 slim, I'll probably end up letting my son use it in his room. Consequently, I need a backup whenever that Final Fantasy Tactics urge hits me. :) Since the 60 and 80 are the same price, I'll probably go with the 80 since it comes with a game. I know the 60 does better PS1 and PS2 emulation, but all the games I have on those platforms seem to work on the 80 according to Sony's backwards compatibility list.

j123vt_99 10-31-07 07:44 AM

Same boat as you guys in deciding to pull the trigger on the ps3 40gb.

Michael Corvin 10-31-07 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by vvxiao
To NiCK
i am new here and also very fresh about viedo games! but i am rather familier with the PS3 accessory because my brother always let me buy for him like Dual Shock Controllers , Wireless Joypads etc. and as i know the accessory is easily to damage! Give u this site for accessory, hope u can know more abou the PS3! Also u can google some knowledge about PS3 and know more!

regards

rotfl

If you are going to spam at least put together a somewhat coherent post that resembles the English language.

kakihara1 10-31-07 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
rotfl

If you are going to spam at least put together a somewhat coherent post that resembles the English language.

It honestly took me like three tries to get through it, pretty awful even for a spam post :lol:

Flay 10-31-07 08:40 AM

Metal Gear Solid 4 pushed a few months: http://videogametalk.com/news.php

Decker 10-31-07 09:40 AM

My controller's X button keeps sticking. It certainly isn't from overuse -- I've never really used the controller until I got R & C last Thurs. Is there anything I can do about it?

Decker 10-31-07 09:43 AM

AS far as the 40 vs 80, it's a tough call. I think the BC is a big deal to me (especially since you can transfer your saves over -- maybe some day I'll finish Okami). If that's not a big deal to you, that 40 seems like a very good deal -- especially with the new 65 chip. Don't let the game be a deciding factor for you. It's a good game, but can be had cheap on ebay.

Lastblade 10-31-07 10:53 AM

If BC is a big deal, get the 60 gig. Otherwise get the 40 gig.

Liver&Onions 10-31-07 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
My controller's X button keeps sticking. It certainly isn't from overuse -- I've never really used the controller until I got R & C last Thurs. Is there anything I can do about it?

I've had 2 PS3s and both exhibited some sort of signal interference.

The first would "lock" a left movement and force my character or whatever left for a few seconds then fix itself. The 2nd one randomly enters a triangle button from time to time. Most noticable when watching a movie because it brings up the control menu.

Decker 10-31-07 04:33 PM

Mine physically sticks. I have no idea why, but it certainly isn't from overuse. In a game like R&C Future you're often jumping and a sticky "X" gets very annoying.

And am I the only one who keeps getting confused in games that require timed button presses (God of War style -- it seems to be the popular trend)? When I see an "X" icon, I need to think a second about whether I'm supposed to press at 6:00 (PS3) or at 9:00 (360).

bunkaroo 10-31-07 04:44 PM

Question:

Cheap ass that I am (not really), I don't really feel the need to go and get the PS2 memory card adapter for the PS3.

I have the older PS2 with the USB ports on it. Can I transfer game saves from my PS2 memory card to a pen drive on the PS2, then take the pen drive to the PS3 and upload them?

Also, I'm assuming if you start a new PS2 game on the PS3 it just saves to the hard drive, correct?

Wick 10-31-07 05:47 PM

Mine physically sticks. I have no idea why, but it certainly isn't from overuse. In a game like R&C Future you're often jumping and a sticky "X" gets very annoying.

And am I the only one who keeps getting confused in games that require timed button presses (God of War style -- it seems to be the popular trend)? When I see an "X" icon, I need to think a second about whether I'm supposed to press at 6:00 (PS3) or at 9:00 (360).

I noticed some weird inteference while playing NFS Carbon, as it seemed like I had to push the buttons in more than usual. It may have just been a specific type of sensitivity option or something, but I don't know. I traded that game in after I beat it in two days.

I've noticed some other interference with my controller, affecting Blu-ray viewings. Sometimes it'll skip chapters on its own if I have my controller on, so I've just assumed that it's interfering with my parents' phone, upstairs.

Decker 10-31-07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Question:

Cheap ass that I am (not really), I don't really feel the need to go and get the PS2 memory card adapter for the PS3.

I have the older PS2 with the USB ports on it. Can I transfer game saves from my PS2 memory card to a pen drive on the PS2, then take the pen drive to the PS3 and upload them?

Ummmm... How can I put this?..... Best Buy allows you to return peripherals, even opened ones, for 30 days with receipt. The memory card adaptor (MSRP $14.99) only needs to be used once and then never needed again.....
You do the math there.

The Bus 10-31-07 08:07 PM

Ummmm... How can I put this?..... Best Buy allows you to return peripherals, even opened ones, for 30 days with receipt. The memory card adaptor (MSRP $14.99) only needs to be used once and then never needed again.....
You do the math there.

So I should buy a bacon cheeseburger pizza and slide it into the PS3?

j123vt_99 10-31-07 08:16 PM

I have a PS2, but I never use it.. I don't care about carrying over my saves or games from PS2, but I would like to use my wireless controller and memory cards.. Will these work with PS3 40G?

Also I heard wifi does not come with ps3 40gb? Is that true?

Better question would be what is the hard drive even used for?

Michael Corvin 10-31-07 08:27 PM

- PS2 controllers won't work
- PS2 memory cards will work with a $15 adapter sold seperately
- 40GB PS3 has WiFi.
- Hard drive is used for downloading demos and retail games like Warhawk and smaller "arcade" titles like Flow or Lemmings.