Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I Wait To Get A Wii?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Wait To Get A Wii?

I'm hearing about the new Wii that is allegedly supposed to be coming out the 3rd quarter of this year with a dvd player, but here it is almost November and I haven't heard nothing. I thought Japan was supposed to get it first and naturally it'd come to the US.

Also since it's getting close to X-mas, do you guys think that there might be a price drop on the Wii? Or maybe a new "xmas" type of bundle? I've been waiting forever to get one and for the first time saw 2 at my Bestbuy but couldn't get it b/c I was on my bike and as I was checking out with a movie, one guy bought one and I can pretty much guarantee the other one's gone by now.

My question is should I just hold out or just bite the bullet? Is there other news that I'm not aware of that might be an incentive to wait?
Old 10-27-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back when the PS2 came out I can see why having a DVD plater in a system was a help. Now I don't see the benefits nearly as much. Since the older Wii systems don't have a DVD drive they will never put Wii games on DVDs so that option is out.

Holiday bundles might pop up but as soon as they do it'll be the middle of the X-Mas shopping season and they will go FAST.

If you want one I say just get it.
Old 10-27-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can guarantee you they aren't going to drop the price. They can't make enough to meet demand. To lower the price would be pointless. Also, Nintendo has announced that they will not drop the price. As far as a new version of the Wii is concerned, I wouldn't expect to see any changes made any time soon.
Old 10-27-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I doubt you'll see anything new with the Wii, even for the holiday season. If you want one, i'd get one if you can find it.
Old 10-27-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I can guarantee you they aren't going to drop the price. They can't make enough to meet demand. To lower the price would be pointless. Also, Nintendo has announced that they will not drop the price. As far as a new version of the Wii is concerned, I wouldn't expect to see any changes made any time soon.
You are completely correct regarding price:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21488284/

Nintendo rules out price cut for Wii console
New feature allows users to send each other games over the Internet
A model demonstrates Nintendo's "Wii Fit" game, due out later this year in Japan, which allows players to weigh themselves, check their balance and play fitness games. Profits at Nintendo have surged on the runaway success of the Wii.
Games
Learn more about RSS
By Hiroko Tabuchi

Updated: 10:07 a.m. CT Oct 26, 2007
TOKYO - Fresh off bumper earnings, Nintendo ruled out a price cut for its smash-hit Wii video game console Friday and announced the company will being selling the Wii in China next year.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata also unveiled a gift-giving feature that will allow users to send each other games over the Internet, boosting the Wii's network offerings.

Profits at Nintendo have surged on the runaway success of the Wii and the portable Nintendo DS machine in North America, Europe and Japan, forcing Sony and Microsoft to slash console prices in a desperate catch-up bid ahead of the holiday season.

Iwata said the company was struggling to meet demand of the Wii and a price cut was out of the question. The Wii sells for $249.99 in North America, 249 euros in Europe and 25,000 yen in Japan — all less than Sony's PlayStation 3 or Microsoft's XBox 360.

"We're still focusing on how to meet booming demand," Iwata said Friday. "We're absolutely not considering a price cut." He said Nintendo was ramping out 1.8 million Wii consoles per month but that a supply crunch was inevitable during the Christmas sales.

A three-way battle
Nintendo's confidence ahead of the critical Christmas shopping season reflects the Wii's strength in a three-way battle of current generation video game consoles against the PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as the continued popularity of the handheld DS console.

The maker of Pokemon and Super Mario games has chosen a different strategy from Sony and Microsoft, wooing novices with low-cost and user-friendly machines unlike the more expensive consoles of its rivals.

With its wandlike remote control for fishing, golfing, tennis and other video games, Nintendo's Wii console has won over fans from young children to rehab patients.

Sony's top-line PlayStation model, with an 80 gigabyte hard drive, now costs $499 in the U.S., down from $599. A new low-end model with a 40-gigabyte drive will go on sale Nov. 2 for $399.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 costs $350 in the United States.

Nintendo has also won a following for the DS console — which stands for "dual screen" — with a lineup of low-cost, casual software like "Nintendogs," "Brain Age" and "Nintendo Cooking."

Nintendo shipped about 3.9 million Wii units around the world in the last three months, bringing the total since its launch last year to 13.2 million units. The company has sold 53.6 million DS consoles.

Iwata said it was banking on the "Wii Fit" game due out later this year in Japan to buoy future sales. The game allows players to weigh themselves, check their balance and play fitness games like yoga, hula hoops and ski jumping.

Sending games as gifts
Nintendo also unveiled a function Friday that allows users to send each other games over the Internet using the Wii's shopping channel.

With a few clicks, a user will be able to select a game to send as a gift to another user online, Iwata said. When the recipient accepts, the Wii automatically launches the shopping channel and begins the download.

"We think this will be a breakthrough in encouraging customers to spread news of fun games word of mouth," Iwata said. "We also hope to spur more users to connect their Wiis to the Internet," he said.

Looking ahead, Iwata said the company would start selling Wiis in China next year, opening up a previously untapped market for the Kyoto-based company.

"We barely have enough Wiis to meet global demand this year. But next year, we can bring the Wii to China," Iwata said.

Nintendo still needed to work with Chinese games developers to craft games suited to the market there, Iwata said.

He declined to give a sales target, but said Nintendo's "future potential there is huge."

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-27-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I say get one now. There won't be a price drop. If you wait til the holiday season starts you're not going to find one.
Old 10-27-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think you can ever get burnt by waiting for consumer electronics (except for certain rare limited edition items), but the wii is reasonably priced, and the price probably won't change for another year I think.
Old 10-27-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would say pick up a Wii now, especially if you want one in the next 4 or 5 months. Once the holiday shopping season picks up, these will be the big ebay item this year too.
Old 10-27-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay! Hope new Wii version release next year to compete with 360 & PS3
Old 10-27-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Where is a DVD inclusion rumored? I thought that died long ago. The only new SKU on the horizon includes the Wiimote condoms.
Old 10-27-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if i were you, i'd wait.
Old 10-27-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why lower the price, they are having a hard time meeting demand.
Old 10-28-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

guess majority says to get it so hope I can get one today at BB
Old 10-28-07, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Yay! Hope new Wii version release next year to compete with 360 & PS3
Yeah, the Wii really needs to get its sales figures up if it wants to compete with those other consoles.
Old 10-28-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Now is definitely the time to get one. The library is getting better and you can find one right now if you look. Target for instance had a few left when I was there this afternoon. By the time Mario hits they will again probably be impossible to find.

Games was my major problem, but that is coming together now. Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III, Zack and Wiki, Fire Emblem and Medal of Honor are all just out or on the way and all of them sound very good.

Good luck finding one.
Old 10-28-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by phatboy
guess majority says to get it so hope I can get one today at BB
Yep. I have a feeling there will be this small window from Oct-mid Nov. where you can find them. Then the christmas season begins and they will be scarce all over again.
Old 10-28-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I concur. Get one now if you can. Come Christmas, they'll be out.
Old 10-28-07, 11:05 PM

just wait till the summer. by then there will be alot more games to own.
Old 10-29-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is not likely to be a price drop or other packin for quite a while. Nintendo is not going to throw away money like that. So, if you really want a Wii your best bet is sooner than later.
Old 10-31-07, 01:54 AM

buy now, because in he following three month, festival is very frequently more and more adult buy wii as gift for child! the price not drop but rise maybe! so buy in time befor the shopping season! Of course, if u want to wait, the next summer the price maybe drop !

--------------------
wii accessory
Old 10-31-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you haven't got the Wii yet, i guess waiting a few more months wouldn't hurt. I waited for mines
Old 11-01-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I couldn't be without it for the past year.
Old 11-01-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by vvxiao
buy now, because in he following three month, festival is very frequently more and more adult buy wii as gift for child! the price not drop but rise maybe! so buy in time befor the shopping season! Of course, if u want to wait, the next summer the price maybe drop !

What language is that?
Old 11-01-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sniper308
What language is that?

Apparently you missed this one.
Old 11-02-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Apparently you missed this one.
yeah, I did. Even after I read it, I'd say I still missed it

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.